Jill Hives

fhtagn
Retired Staff
Oct 11, 2010
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I put the nsfw tag so you don't have to be too shy. What movie screwed your brain? The sick and twisted want to know....

I suppose I'll go first... A Serbian Film... Also, don't watch this, there isn't enough brain bleach in the world to undo any amount of this.

As an aside topic, if you do go for shocking horrific movies, what is it about them that draws your interest enough to subject yourself to it?

I don't know what draws me to disturbing films. Part of the reason is I know it is fiction, unless it's a disturbing documentary, which is something entirely different, so I feel it is safe to watch. I kind of like it. Maybe it lets me live out horrible experiences that I hopefully will never see or maybe it gets to the heart of my own fears and insecurities. I thinking a good movie will make you ball up with disgust because it was so awful. My empathy keeps me repulsed during a disturbing film, but at the same time I want to finish watching it to see what happens. How disturbing is that!?

Another movie that messed with my head a little bit was Pan's Labyrinth, what an ending!

Now I know it is not a movie, but I've enjoyed watching American Horror Story and found much of that to be disturbing.

Reactions: Jill Hives
The Exorcist....the uncensored version.

The Exorcist....the uncensored version.

What about it made it particularly disturbing to you? I love the original Exorcist, pretty epic movie for its time.

Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom

This movie affected me for a few weeks, maybe even months. I am usually not squeamish to watch anything but this was so bizarre. I think it is illegal to own this in the U.S., luckily I was out of the country. Also it was in Italian if anyone is trying to watch it.

This movie is NSFW and has nude actors and actresses involved who are 16-17 at the date of filming I believe. So definitely don't watch it at work! There's a lot of shit eating, piss drinking, body part removal, torture, rape, and very little sexy-type of sex.

The premise of the movie is that a bunch of children are bought by the filthy rich and taken up to a remote castle where they become objects for sexual actions to take place on. Every morning an old whore tells them a story and the children must submit to the whims of the men running the show. Eventually brutality happens for 90% of the show. Its supposed to be a movie rich with political symbolism.

Last edited:
I don't know what draws me to disturbing films. Part of the reason is I know it is fiction, unless it's a disturbing documentary, which is something entirely different, so I feel it is safe to watch. I kind of like it. Maybe it lets me live out horrible experiences that I hopefully will never see or maybe it gets to the heart of my own fears and insecurities. I thinking a good movie will make you ball up with disgust because it was so awful. My empathy keeps me repulsed during a disturbing film, but at the same time I want to finish watching it to see what happens. How disturbing is that!?

Another movie that messed with my head a little bit was Pan's Labyrinth, what an ending!

Now I know it is not a movie, but I've enjoyed watching American Horror Story and found much of that to be disturbing.

I am drawn to them for a lot of the same reasons. I have always been drawn to darker themed things. It is a way to observe the darkest sides of humanity from a distance, and I almost have this weird need to experience intense emotions. It is such a raw feeling that can leave you psychologically exhausted but still you willingly go back for more. Perhaps I am a bit of an emotional masochist.

I am also curious to my own detriment as a rule, so there's that.

Reactions: ThomasJ79
Well I believe mine was a Christian end times movie about judgment and post-rapture converted Christians being hunted down and killed.

This was disturbing because I was only a small child when I saw it, and it frightened and traumatized me a lot, given the social climate around me plus the way I was being raised in conjunction with some level of serious neglect. We're talking toddling down the highway in diapers without mother type neglect. I believe considering the circumstances it psychologically damaged and scarred me, and led to deep rage and resentment eventually, but I had repressed the memory of seeing the actual movie itself, until today when I quite violently unlocked the memory of this movie and how terrifying it was to me as a child.

I think this is the case because I just suddenly remembered it after a long period of inexplicable anxiety, stress, irritability and anger about religious subjects that had been recently escalating until today I just about flipped my shit - I thought I was going to have an aneurysm or a heart attack because I was so upset and flipping out, but then suddenly I remembered. It was this. This little rotting and festering sliver in my subconscious from decades ago. It's just clear as a bell. This is the answer. This is something about my past that I needed to know and deal with.

Well I believe mine was a Christian end times movie about judgment and post-rapture converted Christians being hunted down and killed.

This was disturbing because I was only a small child when I saw it, and it frightened and traumatized me a lot, given the social climate around me plus the way I was being raised in conjunction with some level of serious neglect. We're talking toddling down the highway in diapers without mother type neglect. I believe considering the circumstances it psychologically damaged and scarred me, and led to deep rage and resentment eventually, but I had repressed the memory of seeing the actual movie itself, until today when I quite violently unlocked the memory of this movie and how terrifying it was to me as a child.

I think this is the case because I just suddenly remembered it after a long period of inexplicable anxiety, stress, irritability and anger about religious subjects that had been recently escalating until today I just about flipped my shit - I thought I was going to have an aneurysm or a heart attack because I was so upset and flipping out, but then suddenly I remembered. It was this. This little rotting and festering sliver in my subconscious from decades ago. It's just clear as a bell. This is the answer. This is something about my past that I needed to know and deal with.

Mark Twain was a disturbing movie to me as a child.

The final episode of Twin Peaks was really disturbing. It took me a while to get over it.

I found going to movies as a child to be generally disturbing. It was too loud and the way the light of the screen contrasted to the darkness was jarring to me.

Reactions: Jill Hives
The 1983 version of Testament scared me for a very long time. I saw it when I was twelve and had the horrifying revelation partway through the movie that everyone could die at any time, any day, without much warning. Poof.

I shy away from disturbing movies, for instance I have never sat through "a clock work orange" but the trailers for brad pitt's zombie movie looked good so I went. Sure enough I was being attacked by the undead in my dreams for weeks afterward.....also, the movie about humanity not being able to reproduce itself that came out a couple of summers ago, while it was very good, it bugged me for a long time.

I shy away from disturbing movies, for instance I have never sat through "a clock work orange" but the trailers for brad pitt's zombie movie looked good so I went. Sure enough I was being attacked by the undead in my dreams for weeks afterward.....also, the movie about humanity not being able to reproduce itself that came out a couple of summers ago, while it was very good, it bugged me for a long time.

Was it Children of Men?

That knife scene in Saving Private Ryan disturbed me.

Even worse was The Taken? The Missing? Tommy Lee Jones was paying a white man turned Indian in an old west style human trafficking movie. They bbq'd, um, slow roasted some guy over a fire. That stuck with me for days.

That knife scene in Saving Private Ryan disturbed me.

Even worse was The Taken? The Missing? Tommy Lee Jones was paying a white man turned Indian in an old west style human trafficking movie. They bbq'd, um, slow roasted some guy over a fire. That stuck with me for days.

That knife scene bothered me too, for a long time. So did that scene when the medic died.

Last edited:
Little Otik was pretty disturbing, in a unique sort of way. I would highly recommend it actually as long as you don't mind subtitles.

Littleotik.jpg