Mobile phone nostalgia | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Mobile phone nostalgia

Does anyone feel tired of the "buy the latest tech product" mantra? It turns out that the old Nokia model 3310 is coming back. I do not need 4G or 5G or anything. At most perhaps 3G. I am happy with having a computer at home, a separate camera and then an old 2.5G mobile phone.

I know and sorry to state the obvious but it's such a massive waste of resources to keep producing things that we don't need, and design things to 'go out of date' so we'll buy the next what ever it is. I've had the same phone for about six years and will keep it until it breaks.

My first phone...that wasn't prepaid, was a blue LG Xenon...around 2009. I loved that phone so much because I had been wanting a phone with a slide-out keyboard, and it did not disappoint. I could even take pictures on it! Sure I usually had to use a mirror to get a selfie, but I was fine with that at the time. I think one of my favourite things about it was that I only had to charge it every other day xD

My favourite phone ever was a tiny Ericsson Flip, which had voice dialing (circa 1998). Unbelievably small and light.
t28_141739064897_640x360.jpg

I had a big yellow cellphone in 1998 and it was a lot bigger than that. It was huge.

So bizarre to see the cellphones from 2003 and 2004. I don't remember them being so barbaric and prehistoric, but I have a terrible memory. How did I even function with such simple tools? I feel no nostalgia for the old phones.

I bought my first smartphone in 09/10

Reactions: j654dgj7
yeah i do miss my Nokia 3310, no matter how often it dropped it always worked. these smart phones get a cracked screen within no time, their batteries run out quickly, there are tons of things on there that I NEVER use.

I guess what I miss most of my old Nokia is its reliability, durability and it's battery life.​

I had a big yellow cellphone in 1998 and it was a lot bigger than that. It was huge.

So bizarre to see the cellphones from 2003 and 2004. I don't remember them being so barbaric and prehistoric, but I have a terrible memory. How did I even function with such simple tools? I feel no nostalgia for the old phones.

I bought my first smartphone in 09/10

I disagree with you. New mobile phones are designed and marketed to appear beautiful and useful. It is just a psychological game that commercial companies are playing with us customers. The functionality and design of old mobile phones is ridiculed by the PR machine to make us buy new mobile phones. It is a Potemkin village.

Last edited:
I still have a galaxy s3. What I dislike about it is that it seems very slow, which I think is due in part to transitioning animation. An example is trying to use sound hound, by the time it is all loaded up the song tends to be over or just ending. The battery always needs to be recharged as well. Having a map/navigation is very valuable to me though so I don't want to get rid of it.

Reactions: Artisan
at grade 2 (1995) i was one of those cool kids at school who first owned a mobile phone. :sunglasses:

ericsson-sh888.jpg

Reactions: CindyLou
My childhood favorites:
18009719.jpg

5670d717bc_1419725821_de-roze-ladyphone-van-samsung__list-noup.jpg

nokia-7370.jpg

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
The new version of Snake ready to entertain. Photograph: Samuel Gibbs for the Guardian

The phone has a slightly bigger screen than its namesake, and in colour this time. It also has a camera on the back, which the original did not. It does have a removable back cover and battery, and runs an updated version of the original’s S30 software. The software behaves so much like the original and followups you might think you were caught inside some sort of time loop. The phone will cost about €50 (£42) when released in the second quarter of 2017. The original cost in 2000 was £129.99 on pay as you go.

HMD promises that the new Nokia 3310 will be as durable as the old one, often seen as practically indestructible by the teens of the 2000s. The new 3310 is about half the thickness of the original and has 10 times the talk time, with 22 hours, and twice the standby time: one month – a duration almost unheard-of in 2017.

It’s charged via microUSB, so there’s no need to carry the pin Nokia charger of old, and there’s even a headphones socket in the bottom. Cynics might see the new 3310 as merely a marketing exercise but some analysts are more optimistic. CCS Insight’s Ben Wood says that out out of the approximately 20m phones sold in the UK each year, 1m of them are still feature phones such as the 3310.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/26/nokia-3310-is-back-and-it-even-has-snake

New Nokia 3310 hands on - Nostalgia rebooted

:wyotethumb:

Technology has regressed in terms of battery life since smartphones entered the market. And I need about 1/10 of all the features that a smartphone has to offer the user. I feel like I am struggling with mobile technology though I like technology in general. :m102:

Well it hasn't necessarily regressed.

It is well documented on XDA forums that a phone running CyanogenMod on your phone without Google services can run a month or so idling*, mostly because the phone idles more from not needing to ping Google services so frequently.

*ymmv

Reactions: ImaginaryBloke

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
The new version of Snake ready to entertain. Photograph: Samuel Gibbs for the Guardian

The phone has a slightly bigger screen than its namesake, and in colour this time. It also has a camera on the back, which the original did not. It does have a removable back cover and battery, and runs an updated version of the original’s S30 software. The software behaves so much like the original and followups you might think you were caught inside some sort of time loop. The phone will cost about €50 (£42) when released in the second quarter of 2017. The original cost in 2000 was £129.99 on pay as you go.

HMD promises that the new Nokia 3310 will be as durable as the old one, often seen as practically indestructible by the teens of the 2000s. The new 3310 is about half the thickness of the original and has 10 times the talk time, with 22 hours, and twice the standby time: one month – a duration almost unheard-of in 2017.

It’s charged via microUSB, so there’s no need to carry the pin Nokia charger of old, and there’s even a headphones socket in the bottom. Cynics might see the new 3310 as merely a marketing exercise but some analysts are more optimistic. CCS Insight’s Ben Wood says that out out of the approximately 20m phones sold in the UK each year, 1m of them are still feature phones such as the 3310.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/26/nokia-3310-is-back-and-it-even-has-snake

New Nokia 3310 hands on - Nostalgia rebooted

:wyotethumb:

PSA: this is a 2G only phone.

You can't use this in Australia after 2017, AT&T in the US and several other countries like Singapore or Japan that have turned off 2G.

Please check your carrier (pigeon or otherwise) if they support 2G before buying this phone. Either way be careful as most countries are phasing out 2G these next few years.

Reactions: ImaginaryBloke
I know and sorry to state the obvious but it's such a massive waste of resources to keep producing things that we don't need, and design things to 'go out of date' so we'll buy the next what ever it is. I've had the same phone for about six years and will keep it until it breaks.

You might be interested in iFixit. It's a website dedicated to fixing electronics. It sounds difficult and technical, but it's actually very easy to fix most problems on your phone. While in Indonesia I took apart and fixed my friend's iPhone 6S battery. Parts only costed about $15 for a battery and screwdriver/tool set to get delivered. I would be happy to help anyone fix their phone and reduce waste!

Here is the founder of iFixit getting interviewed on one of my favourite podcasts. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/downloadthisshow/ifixit/8298854

Reactions: Littlelissa
PSA: this is a 2G only phone.

You can't use this in Australia after 2017, AT&T in the US and several other countries like Singapore or Japan that have turned off 2G.

Please check your carrier (pigeon or otherwise) if they support 2G before buying this phone. Either way be careful as most countries are phasing out 2G these next few years.

Or .... a massive sale tsunami leads politicians to revise standards of the electromagnetic spectrum. That is my hope.

My first emergency plan is emigrating to another country. My second emergency plan is settling in the wilderness, a hut in Siberia, disconnected from civilization.

I loved my old Verizon Samsung Sway circa 2008. There was nothing particularly special about it besides the satisfying upward slide to expose the numpad. I mostly text with my thumbs, so it was a quick slide and text in one efficient motion. It's resting peacefully in a storage box in the closet. I liked the Blackberry Bold for its *actual* keyboard. These phablets and their gimmicky touch screens never impressed me