ImaginaryBloke

Sep 29, 2015
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
Tri 5-9-4
5646.jpg

Text like it’s 2005 … the original Nokia 3310. Photograph: Alamy

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...b/15/nokia-3310-back-snake-retro-basic-mobile

Does anyone feel tired of the "buy the latest tech product" mantra? It turns out that the old Nokia model 3310 is coming back. I do not need 4G or 5G or anything. At most perhaps 3G. I am happy with having a computer at home, a separate camera and then an old 2.5G mobile phone.

While I don't agree with the idea that you need the newest tech, I like the fact we've moved away from using phones as phones. I don't like making or getting phone calls, and the fact that communication has changed to favoring text and visual format is a plus for me.

Id be one who wants what phones are now. Communication devices on several different mediums. I can take a pic or video if something strikes me. Eventually I will want my phone to shoot a laser if needed, project a 3d image indistinguishable from my actual presence, take over minds...
The list goes on an on.

Oh and first and foremost... a battery that lasts all day...

I kept a flip phone for years... Regardless of people teasing me about being a Luddite. (I'm cheap and don't need a lot of frills..) I finally got an iPhone a few years ago when my bf gave me his old one when he wanted to buy the latest one coming out. Now I spend way too much time on it.

My favourite phone ever was a tiny Ericsson Flip, which had voice dialing (circa 1998). Unbelievably small and light.
t28_141739064897_640x360.jpg

The Ericsson T28 weighs only 83 g. The Nokia 3310 weighs 133 g. Good choice.

But would you rather have that than your current one?

Id be one who wants what phones are now. Communication devices on several different mediums. I can take a pic or video if something strikes me. Eventually I will want my phone to shoot a laser if needed, project a 3d image indistinguishable from my actual presence, take over minds...
The list goes on an on.

You need a magic wand.

Reactions: invisible
The Ericsson T28 weighs only 83 g. The Nokia 3310 weighs 133 g. Good choice.

But would you rather have that than your current one?
I think so.

I don't use much of the stuff in my smartphone out of the house.
That ericsson was uber light, small, reliable, had an uber long battery life. If I could have one, I would have one.

Reactions: ImaginaryBloke
Oh and first and foremost... a battery that lasts all day...

I think so.

I don't use much of the stuff in my smartphone out of the house.
That ericsson was uber light, small, reliable, had an uber long battery life. If I could have one, I would have one.

Technology has regressed in terms of battery life since smartphones entered the market. And I need about 1/10 of all the features that a smartphone has to offer the user. I feel like I am struggling with mobile technology though I like technology in general. :m102:

I kept a flip phone for years... Regardless of people teasing me about being a Luddite. (I'm cheap and don't need a lot of frills..) I finally got an iPhone a few years ago when my bf gave me his old one when he wanted to buy the latest one coming out. Now I spend way too much time on it.

When reading this, I start thinking "Why not a landline? What else do I need?".

Reactions: invisible and acd
While I don't agree with the idea that you need the newest tech, I like the fact we've moved away from using phones as phones. I don't like making or getting phone calls, and the fact that communication has changed to favoring text and visual format is a plus for me.

So what do you think about seeing the number of who is calling? Is that an advantage?

When reading this, I start thinking "Why not a landline? What else do I need?".
I moved away from a landline as soon as it was more expensive than mobile.

So what do you think about seeing the number of who is calling? Is that an advantage?

It's an advantage, but it still doesn't make that kind of social communication much more bearable.

Y'see, I look forward to the zombie apocalypse, where I'm barricaded inside my home. With the only forms of communication being courier mice.

I have got the Samsung S7 Galaxy. I like it a lot. I have a very expensive pair of Shure headphones that I use with it to listen to Ariana Grande on the train. This is basically what I have achieved in life so far, financially speaking, is the ability to own and use this technology. I would trade it all in for a simpler life though. Life is not that great.

It's an advantage, but it still doesn't make that kind of social communication much more bearable.

Y'see, I look forward to the zombie apocalypse, where I'm barricaded inside my home. With the only forms of communication being courier mice.

mouseboxer.jpg

There will be zombie mice eating your non-zombie courier mice. I suggest that you train your mice to defend themselves.

I have got the Samsung S7 Galaxy. I like it a lot. I have a very expensive pair of Shure headphones that I use with it to listen to Ariana Grande on the train. This is basically what I have achieved in life so far, financially speaking, is the ability to own and use this technology. I would trade it all in for a simpler life though. Life is not that great.

I have also got a Samsung Galaxy. But it is sooo slooow. The processor is cannot keep up with computational requirements. Either a faster processor or less features is what it needs. In case of a new processor, the energy requirements better be the same, because I do not want to recharge my phone more often.

The battery stand-by time of Nokia 3310 was a week or more, if my memory is accurate. The Samsung Galaxy is about 2 1/2 days.

I have also got a Samsung Galaxy. But it is sooo slooow. The processor is cannot keep up with computational requirements. Either a faster processor or less features is what it needs. In case of a new processor, the energy requirements better be the same, because I do not want to recharge my phone more often.

The battery stand-by time of Nokia 3310 was a week or more, if my memory is accurate. The Samsung Galaxy is about 2 1/2 days.

I love my phone. But I agree with you about the battery stand-by. When you put it like that, the difference is appalling.

Reactions: ImaginaryBloke