Mental "soft spots" | INFJ Forum

Mental "soft spots"

Whiskers

Community Member
Jan 4, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
A characteristic asset of the INFJ is to intuitively understand and empathize with others. However, what of the times where our intuition has led us astray? When your intuitions have ever been misguided in the past, have you noticed common themes among the surrounding circumstances? For example, in my case, while my intuitions tend to globally have a great deal of utility for me, they have sometimes derailed me from the truth when applied to people I feel competitive with. Consequently, my evaluations of these people, at times, more likely reflect paranoia or insecurity rather than a realistic assessment. I think of that as being a mental "soft spot" of mine, a domain in which it's necessary for me to scrutinize my intuitions more assiduously.

So, what are your mental soft spots?
How do you guard against their misleading effects?

my intuition has almost never failed me in feeling other peoples intentions. But anyway i never base my judgement completely on my intuition.

Hmmm. This is most intriguing. I can't say at this point because I only just recently discovered I have this wondrous thing called "intuition" and have yet to had enough time to observe its tendencies and faults. I'll let you know what I find.
Any suggestions or warnings as I explore?

Hmmm. This is most intriguing. I can't say at this point because I only just recently discovered I have this wondrous thing called "intuition" and have yet to had enough time to observe its tendencies and faults. I'll let you know what I find.

Yes, be "malicious". I mean always expect danger in others. Loor at their eyes, the way they speak and the vibe they emit. I dont know its kind of hard to explain but ive done it for a lot of time and it never fails me.

My suggestion, if any, would be:
Balance your intuition, when possible, with rational evaluation. Keep track of discrepancies between these two; observe patterns. Adjust behavior with reference to these patterns of when and where your intuition tends to habitually prevail or mislead.

In other words: as intuition is generally useful insofar as when it is habitually right, it's helpful to pinpoint any discernible patterns/circumstances of when it is distorting rather than revelatory, and then approaching these situations with an especially cautious eye to your initial impressions.

Last edited:
Any form of emotional attachment gives a bias on my intuition. :D

Not to say it's good or bad; but it just does.

Any form of emotional attachment gives a bias on my intuition. :D

Not to say it's good or bad; but it just does.

Of course... But is a bias always destructive? Plus, here's where your logic comes into balance out your feeling.

I've found that over time my intuition works best for two main things - figuring out what other people really want/need, and how to keep myself and my interests safe.

Call it na

Yes, be "malicious". I mean always expect danger in others. Loor at their eyes, the way they speak and the vibe they emit. I dont know its kind of hard to explain but ive done it for a lot of time and it never fails me.

What is it about you that makes everyone want to harm you? Are you some kind of a jerk or something so everyone wants to do you wrong? Could it just be confirmation bias?

Of course... But is a bias always destructive? Plus, here's where your logic comes into balance out your feeling.

Not really, true. We can see different aspects of something with that particular bias. However it's not the entire truth. It's what I personally have to remind myself.

And logic sometimes are just a different language our heart speaks in. :|

Not really, true. We can see different aspects of something with that particular bias. However it's not the entire truth. It's what I personally have to remind myself.

And logic sometimes are just a different language our heart speaks in. :|

+1

No such thing as half-truth, people tend to decorate it to enhance their image, or gain some....thing....(depending on motive, and occasion).

+1

No such thing as half-truth, people tend to decorate it to enhance their image, or gain some....thing....(depending on motive, and occasion).
And there is no such thing as complete, 'neutral' truth either. ;)
Truth is both neutral and biased. Looks at nothing and everything. Sides with no one and everyone. Imperfect and perfect.

It is those who believes they have the complete truth that are perhaps, brought the farthest from it.
Sorry, I spoke weird stuffs.

You mean absolute truths. Agreed. Would love to discuss it, but its such a deep topic, deserve an entire book.