Mental Illness Depression,Racing Thoughts | INFJ Forum

Mental Illness Depression,Racing Thoughts

firefighter-frankie

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 18, 2011
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
I heard somewhere on you tube about infj's typically have some sort of mental illness.Do you think this is true

Like i have racing thoughts and have a hard time sleeping or staying focus on one thought at a time

Okay.....the really horrible, likes to tease part of me is itching to respond to this.....

Serious answer:
I doubt that there is a correlation between mental illness and MBTI type. Logically, you might be able to agrue a correlation between the fact that INFJs might be more willing to admit or seek help for an emotional problem than another type but that doesn't necessary imply increased frequency in comparision to other types.

*bites tongue on all the other smarmy replies floating in my evil mind*

Reactions: youhemmein
Okay.....the really horrible, likes to tease part of me is itching to respond to this.....

Serious answer:
I doubt that there is a correlation between mental illness and MBTI type. Logically, you might be able to agrue a correlation between the fact that INFJs might be more willing to admit or seek help for an emotional problem than another type but that doesn't necessary imply increased frequency in comparision to other types.

There is a possibility, however, that the INFJ type may be more prone to mental illness because the INFJ patterns of behaviour, are on the somewhat socially dysfunctional end of the mbti, leading to social anxiety related problems.

I do think that as we feel things deeply. . .we are often confronted by thoughts and feelings that are difficult to manage. . I also think that since we are in touch with the importance of feelings we are quicker to recognize problems, and to seek assistance . . .
on a more positive note, I think we are probably easier to work with and treat. . since feelings are not foreign to us. . we can explore them eaier then most. .

do you think that were more prone to depression
since we tend to want to help every one but the truth is we cant?

i don't think it's specifically an infj thing. i personally had a lot of trouble with depression in the past but not anymore. we can learn to deal with or manage these things so that they are not a problem.

before i found out i was a infj Ive been on medication for depression and anxiety.Now I understand myself more it really dont need the meds.

It might just be that what is typical INFJ behavior is designated as mental illness.

Here is the first list of traits I found:
INFJs:

• value personal integrity and "being true to yourself"
  • are on a lifelong search for a unique identity and meaning; spirituality is important to us
  • can be hard to get to know, depending on the other person (reciprocity)
  • are sometimes seen by others as cold and hard on the outside
  • can be difficult to "peg"; sometimes INFJs may not even recognise fellow members of their own type
  • may find it easier to express their deepest feelings and sentiments non-verbally or in writing
  • abhor evil or injustice, especially that directed towards the innocent or helpless
  • are sometimes looked upon by others as naive, mostly due to our idealism
  • can be quite gullible; many INFJs build up a protective armour over the years to protect against this and being "used" by others
  • enjoy thoughtful discussion but dislike arguing for argument's sake, as this often degenerates into ugly conflict
  • are bookworms, love bookstores and libraries
  • are affiliative; get stressed and cannot survive for extended periods without company
  • rarely get into conflict, but when it erupts, can be very bitter
  • aren't terribly career-minded
  • love personality tests and other self-improvement tools
  • love quotes/quotations and are often "philosophers" or "theologists" ;)
  • need to confide in others and express opinions and feelings about others: Fe-ing (Feeling extraverted)
  • are "Directors" who give advice, though usually more subtly than most other Directors.
  • are interested in ESP, paranormal, "new age," or psychic experiences
  • "Mute withdrawal is a major INFJ defense."
  • often have "oceanic" memories where details are recalled through intuitive leaps and thought association

How many of these are associated with some mental illness? Especially the 3rd to last one... but the others as well.

I feel like if you're not the right kind of extrovert, society thinks there is something wrong with you and you need medicated for it so that you can find your "true self".

i think if there's any corelation it would be due to the infj's position in society. for the most part the traits are not well received and infj's feel more isolated and much less understood. this could lead to things like depression, but mental illness covers a very wide range.

It would be really interesting to do an anonymous poll to see how many of the people on this forum have been formally diagnosed with some type of mental illness and/or taken psychotropic medication because of it.

Serious answer:

Oh come on. Let us have it. We'll forgive you.

INFJs and INFPs, especially, tend to be Enneagram type 4s. Being an Enneagram 4, it's almost assumed you have a mental illness. The insecurity and paranoia often experienced by 4s runs so deep it borders on psychosis.

INFJs and INFPs, especially, tend to be Enneagram type 4s. Being an Enneagram 4, it's almost assumed you have a mental illness. The insecurity and paranoia often experienced by 4s runs so deep it borders on psychosis.

i'm a 5

LOL! That's so me

I have in the past and currently dealing with depression. I cannot speak for all infjs but for myself, it tends to be caused by excess of emotions, mostly negative, that I attempt to bottle up because I am not comfortable expressing them. For me, the core of the emotions is almost always relationship, our lack there of, related. I do not know if I would call it a mental illness, I guess you could, but it is just an excess of emotions without release for me.