Medication inquiry. | INFJ Forum

Medication inquiry.

isabellajay

On Holiday
May 3, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
I would love to hear experiences or suggestions on depression medication.
It'd be really awesome if anyone had any opinions of Wellbutrin.
Thank you! :)

I've been on Wellbutrin for about 5 years now with one 6 month break from it.

I started taking it after my Father passed and I had been under a lot of stress for a period of time leading up to his passing. I was very irritable, lacked focus, had lost interest in doing things that I enjoyed.
It has worked for me in that it has leveled out my mood so I am not so quick to anger or become overly pessimistic in my attitude.

Last year, I began to think maybe my taking it wasn't really necessary anymore. I met with my doctor to discuss it, and She agreed it wouldn't hurt as I could always go back, so I was given a plan to wean off of it.
The only other person that knew I took it other than my Wife was a coworker of mine.
I used her as control in my study.

After about 4 months passed, I felt I was falling back into my moodiness. My Wife wasn't really seeing it though.
A little more time passed when one day my coworker looked at me and said, "Are you not taking your happy pills? You sure have been a crabby bastard lately!"
That was all the proof I needed. I went back on it, and am back to being what I call normal.

That's my story.
Obviously, just because it has worked for me doesn't mean it will work for others. I feel I got lucky in that I didn't have to experiment with different medications before finding one that has worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: isabellajay
Tried it to quit smoking about 8 years ago....oh man, it messed me up...I couldn’t sleep for about 2 days....and it wasn’t in a good way that one might imagine speed would do to you. It was anxiety city! But, I think that was a rather severe reaction....everyone’s brain is wired differently, although INFJs in general are more sensitive to changes in Dopamine than the average person. They probably want you to start with a half dose and move up to the full dose...give it a whirl, it may work really well for you. Just be aware of how you are feeling and stop if you feel anything negative.

My sister recently started Ambilfy. The therapist said that patients that it worked for could see up to 30% improvement in mood/happiness right away. I will say that it has drastically improved her depression. It has helped to her to be more engaged. Often though, a decrease in mood/sadness comes at a cost though...those emotions that the depression mask/numbs tend to come out more...she feels more fully than she did when her depression was paralyzing her.

Hmm...I find Wellbutrin generally works for very mild depression or in conjunction with another medication (SSRI). I know a lot of people who have been prescribed it for giving up various addictions. My bf says it gave him very weird dreams, but didn't really help him otherwise. I don't remember it having any effect on me whatsoever. I take a newer medication called Pristiq, which is unreasonably expensive, and will continue to be until the patent runs out and a generic version is developed and made available. But the kicker is that through all the medications I've tried in the last 15 years for depression, it is the first thing I feel has really worked for me. It's a new class of antidepressant which balances serotonin as well as neurepinephrine (sp?). At one point I was on Abilify in addition, but after one day they stopped that medication bc my jaw locked up.

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] I've heard it can work really well for smoking addictions. Evidently not for everyone. I've read a lot of places that Wellbutrin can cause mega weird dreams as well as insomnia ( [MENTION=1857]youhemmein[/MENTION] like what you mentioned). So I guess you can either not sleep or sleep and enjoy weird dreams. I've also heard it messes with your libido…? Teehee.
[MENTION=3096]Nixie[/MENTION] does Ambilfy cause weight gain? I suppose I should just look into it.

Thanks for your insights, guys. I've never really taken serious meds before…even my ADD meds were mild. I took Strattera and basically it worked for 4 hours after I took it and that was it. It made me sleep the rest of the time…
I guess I'll go have a chat with my doctor. I hate the doctor.

I've also heard it messes with your libido…? Teehee.
It can, and not in a good way....it will cause most people to be unable to reach orgasm. So....enjoy....lol.

I can't report any changes in libido while taking Wellbutrin, but I was prescribed it once before my current experience for smoking cessation and it didn't do a damn thing.
When I ultimately quit smoking 3-4 years ago I took Chantix. The vivid dreams were freakin' awesome!

I took Wellbutrin when I was in my 20's and accidentally took a double dose which caused me to clean the bathroom for three hours with a toothbrush.

Reactions: isabellajay
for years i was incorrectly diagnosed with depression and given all sorts of meds that only made me feel worse. I was finally diagnosed with PTSD and have been on "Sertraline" for years. For me it was a miracle drug. Often people are misdiagnosed and given the wrong medication and the sad fact is Doctors don't always know what they are doing.