MBTI Pet Peeves | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

MBTI Pet Peeves

I'm surprised you thought I was serious.

I guess what threw me off is how much I didn't laugh when I read it.

Reactions: Jill Hives
Yeah like I saw on another forum where it was said that extroverted types were more physically attractive than introverts!
Then they try to make intuitive types seem boring, less appealing, and lazy when it comes to hobbies! Pathetic.
I'm an INFJ and would love to play an instrument as much as any ISFP.

Reactions: muir
I hate sensors. They're like, so plain man. So boring. They don't have the depth, the imagination and the thoughtfulness we intuitioners have. You know, like, all they do is to whine about other people. Seriously.

Oh, there is sarcasm in this thread?

I'm literally disgusted by and unable to respect people who think they're unable to get along with sensors or any particular types. Especially when people have shown me that they are otherwise intelligent people, well-versed on the types and functions, it just makes it worse. It makes me wish they didn't exist. I generally hide my anger, and it's lame but I really do hate it when people are wrong on the internet. When it comes to some things, I don't think the "everyone being entitled to having their own opinion" thing applies anymore. I guess that's just my own opinion though...

I can understand if some people who claim they are intuitives have had bad experiences with those they deemed to be sensors, but really if you are so incapable of at least mildly getting along with such a huge portion of people in the world, it's your own damned problem/flaw. Maybe it's because I have so many people I love and value so much in my life that are sensors, and I would feel so angry if their value would be disregarded. I just feel so angry that some people can't see so much of the beauty in others. They are blind to it and blind to the fact that they are blind to it.

I used to be guilty of this at times. It's an easy habit to fall into. Mostly with being introverted, it can be used as an excuse to be socially lazy and then justify it by saying "I'm an introvert".

Yes, it's still one of my worst MBTI-related habits. I do it with my Enneagram type, too. Something to stay aware of. :)

I can understand if some people who claim they are intuitives have had bad experiences with those they deemed to be sensors, but really if you are so incapable of at least mildly getting along with such a huge portion of people in the world, it's your own damned problem/flaw. Maybe it's because I have so many people I love and value so much in my life that are sensors, and I would feel so angry if their value would be disregarded. I just feel so angry that some people can't see so much of the beauty in others. They are blind to it and blind to the fact that they are blind to it.

Yeah, this always seemed like taking an easy out to me. It's an excuse to not take a serious look at one's self, just a cheap attempt at absolving responsibility for conflict in interpersonal relationships. I generally try to avoid typing the people who I interact with on a daily basis, just because I'm aware of the possibility that I'd begin stereotyping them, but I'm sure many of my acquaintances could identify as sensors, and I get along with them all amicably.

Piggybacking off of your outrage, I find MBTI elitism in general a childish and pointless endeavour. It drives me up a wall to see people put so much time and effort into trying to justify the claim that their type is better than the other types, the kinds of people who can't love themselves without putting down someone else. It's tiresome to see all that energy put into something which is really only destructive, both to the people who perpetuate it and the people with whom they interact.

I'm literally disgusted by and unable to respect people who think they're unable to get along with sensors or any particular types. Especially when people have shown me that they are otherwise intelligent people, well-versed on the types and functions, it just makes it worse. It makes me wish they didn't exist. I generally hide my anger, and it's lame but I really do hate it when people are wrong on the internet. When it comes to some things, I don't think the "everyone being entitled to having their own opinion" thing applies anymore. I guess that's just my own opinion though...

Now you are getting defencive....defencive of your sensor friends!

We all do it and as soon as we do it we throw up another divide between people. We're all equally guilty of it

so you judging those who have suffered at the hands of sensors for being judgemental of sensors has now alienated you from them

This was what the whole 'let him who is without sin cast the first stone' thing is all about.....i'm not meaning that in a religious sense i'm just meaning it in a common sense sense

I'm also not saying i'm above such reactions myself....i'm not

I think the point i'm trying to get across is the trick to healing divides is in seeing the hurt in the other person (even if they are being nasty to you) and recognising the fact that their hurt is guiding their behaviour

Timothy leary said 'you have to feel good to do good'. That is really insightful. If someone isn't doing good you can be sure they aren't feeling good. So even if they are hurting you, if you can recognise that they don't really consciously know what they are doing because they are being guided by their hurt then you can forgive them and not hit back ie you can turn the other cheek and not carry on that cycle of karma

So you can attack those who have spoken out about sensors (because they've been burned by them themselves) or you can try and heal the gap. What you won't be able to do is change all the sensors in the world so that they never do any more hurt to that person but what you might be able to do is equip that person with new perspectives that will make them more emotionally independent, more emotionally robust, more able to stand on their own feet even in the buffeting of public hostility and essentially more strong in the core of their being through being more understanding on a conscious level of what is going on so that they may view it more philosophically and react more from a calm objectivity rather than from a defensive reflexive emotional state

This isn't always easy to do....to remain conscious of this at all times and its easy enough to allow the ego back in the driving seat and to get caught up in the emotion of the situation; as i've said already i'm not saying i achieve this all the time....but its an aspiration rather than an attainment

Last edited:
Reactions: SealHammer
@muir Yes but it would be like trying to help someone overcome their fear of a certain race of people which stemmed from their own inability to understand that race and now causes them to be prejudiced towards that entire race. I won't say I don't want to try and help or haven't, but of course at the same time I'd feel like a Special Ed. teacher. Plus it's going to be done over the internet.

Here's what I'll do, next time I'll let you know about the situation and then you can write them an essay for me. I can't say that I would often encounter someone I'd legitimately care enough about to want to put in that kind of effort to help eradicate their hatred towards sensors.

Anyway, I understand that we all have problems, helping is better than hurting, the hurt do the hurting, blah blah, but I feel that this is getting a little off topic. Please PM me if you wish to discuss this further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those who hold all their eggs in one basket. We're all narrow-minded in some way or another. It's a choice for some to say they hate all sensors. How far do you think that will get them in life? Personally, I think they're jealous we can sum up their monologue in one sentence. :D

We don't need to discuss this any further if you don't want to, i'm just going to put my view across here and if it's a monologue then that's cool with me

@muir Yes but it would be like trying to help someone overcome their fear of a certain race of people which stemmed from their own inability to understand that race and now causes them to be prejudiced towards that entire race.

I think the fact you have used race as an analogy is interesting and i'll say a bit about that in a minute

First though i don't think the scenario you've set out above is analogous

It would only be analogous if the person had a fear of a race of people because that race of people had done them harm. For example a person who had been bought by a white slave trader and then shipped across the sea in a cramped slave ship and then sold to a white plantation owner might develop a bit of a prejudice against white people in general

You could argue that they are wrong to do so as not all white people believed in slavery but you could also understand why they might have developed that prejudice because of the persecution they had suffered

The point i made about intuitives being hostile sometimes (particularly online in forums which they might see as little oasis of introverted intuition in a predominantly extroverted sensor world) towards sensors is that i think they are that way because they feel they have been persecuted by sensors in what is predominantly an extroverted sensor world

So i'm not saying they are right to make blanket statements about sensors i'm just saying perhaps it becomes easier to understand why they might have that hostility if you bare in mind that they may well have suffered at the hand of sensors (not all sensors just some)

Why i think the race anaology is interesting is because i've been thinking a little about MBTI from that aspect recently due to some of the discussions going on on the forum

There was a discussion about what constitutes 'rascism' for example. The way i see it is that rascism is the belief that one group of people are inherently superior/more valuable than another

Religion on the other hand is built on thoughts (ideas) and beliefs (feelings) and someone can change their religion. Someone cannot change their 'race'/skin colour. So although arguing against someone on the basis of their skin colour is ridiculous arguing against someone on the basis of their religion is different.

Religion is a surface cultural thing, but skin colour is innate.

So the thing i was wondering about MBTI is to what extent is it changeable....to what extent is it innate? There are people who are making comments against others on the basis of their personality type, for example being hostile towards INFJ's, but is that like debating about their religion (ie is it a surface changeable thing) or is it like debating against the colour of someones skin (innate and unchangeable)?

Do you see what i mean?

So i think its pointless and morally reprehensible to criticise someone on the basis of their skin colour, but i think it's perfectly acceptable for people to question each others religious beliefs (in fact testing ideas is the only way to make sure that they are not pie in the sky)

So although some will get indignant if you comment on their race (which i think would be justified) others may get indignant on seeing their religion being question (which i see as actually a healthy process in the evolution of ideas)

Where does MBTI come into that? Is typism as morally reprehensible as rascism? maybe this issue needs its own thread!!!

I won't say I don't want to try and help or haven't, but of course at the same time I'd feel like a Special Ed. teacher. Plus it's going to be done over the internet.

Here's what I'll do, next time I'll let you know about the situation and then you can write them an essay for me. I can't say that I would often encounter someone I'd legitimately care enough about to want to put in that kind of effort to help eradicate their hatred towards sensors.

Anyway, I understand that we all have problems, helping is better than hurting, the hurt do the hurting, blah blah, but I feel that this is getting a little off topic. Please PM me if you wish to discuss this further.

I think you have a good heart niffer....i'm just saying maybe ease up a bit on introverted intuitives, they are the minority and they sometimes are persecuted and that inevitably is going to create bad feeling

If someone is on a 'aren't introverted intuitives great, sensors are bad' kinda trip then fair enough they could do with being balanced out a bit with a new perspective, but if they're hurting and venting becuase they've suffered in a sensor dominated world then kicking them when they're down isn't going to help anyone

Those who hold all their eggs in one basket. We're all narrow-minded in some way or another. It's a choice for some to say they hate all sensors. How far do you think that will get them in life? Personally, I think they're jealous we can sum up their monologue in one sentence. :D

Summing up peoples monologue in one sentence is only useful if they do it correctly

If they get it wrong then they misrepresent what a person has tried hard to explain

That leaves the summer-upper feeling smug and the explainee feeling missunderstood and frustrated

The key to getting that right is to not have an unchangeable idea in your head of what you think the person means before reading their post which you then put down as a one liner; the other important thing to do is to actually read their post

Summing up peoples monologue in one sentence is only useful if they do it correctly

If they get it wrong then they misrepresent what a person has tried hard to explain

That leaves the summer-upper feeling smug and the explainee feeling missunderstood and frustrated

The key to getting that right is to not have an unchangeable idea in your head of what you think the person means before reading their post which you then put down as a one liner; the other important thing to do is to actually read their post

Fair enough, but that only applies if I didn't fall asleep half way through it. :D

There's another sensor stereotype that baffles me; the idea that they're unable to look long term. While some SPs may focus in the moment more than other types, most SJs I know are constantly thinking about the future.

There's another sensor stereotype that baffles me; the idea that they're unable to look long term. While some SPs may focus in the moment more than other types, most SJs I know are constantly thinking about the future.

I never understood that either.

From my understanding, sensors build up to the big picture and intuitives break/build down to the details. They are both capable of the same thing, they just go about it in different ways.

The idea that the P stands for procrastination because the perceivers in my life are far more productive than I am. It may be because they hate being bored so much.