Male INFJ musicians | INFJ Forum

Male INFJ musicians

U

Untitled

I remember reading a comment somewhere (don't ask me where, because I've absolutely forgotten by now) that there are two fields of work where INFJs are positively overrepresented: The clergy and the music industry. I personally know this to be true with female INFJs as 80-90% of all all-female bands in the local scene have at least had an INFJ in their midsts at some point of their existence (thanks to funky facebook MBTI apps for giving my suspicions more confirmation), which would qualify as a serious over representation or an unusual coincidence even with my elementary math skills.
I'm assuming that this rule of thumb would be the sameish for male INFJs.

Which male musicians do you think could possibly be INFJs?

If there's something that you identify as good grounds for suspicion of INFJyness (<---a totally legitimate word :whistle:) and can articulate what it is, please share. :)

And you INFJ guys in particular. Who do you especially relate to as musicians go??? Who do you listen to and think "That's just like how I feel/think"? ...Maybe that's something to consider too.

Well, there is one musician in my country. He is one of the best pop writers/singers here. I listened him more when I was younger. He strikes me INFJ. Famous and sucessful, but very private (he has family, but they never go to celebrities meetings or been too much photographed.
His texts are very emotional, but rather comlex with interesting metaphoras. Plus, he does lot of charity work. Most of you probably can't understand these songs, but maybe you'll get the feeling.
Gibonni

[video=youtube;6PCA8p762o4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PCA8p762o4[/video]

Reactions: Jexocuha
I suspect Alan Sparhawk of Low is an INFJ....maybe. He works with his wife.
[video=youtube_share;pwPBhqdV-OA]http://youtu.be/pwPBhqdV-OA[/video]
EDIT: Sorry...swapped video...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's my head canon that Matt Berninger of The National is one. *Shrug* Or he could be an INTJ:

[video=youtube;yfySK7CLEEg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfySK7CLEEg[/video]

Me! Does it count? :m187: No well, I suspect Alexi Murdoch is one... who happens to be my favourite songwriter!
[video=youtube;RrMMcdhAXhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrMMcdhAXhY[/video]

Btw, being into the music thing, I can see pretty clearly that intuitive feelers are mostly represented in songrwriting and damn sensors in music performance. I feel misunderstood even in the music scene, for my being overly intellectual vs. very practical and down to earth, but skilled musicians. :m025:

This guy and song resonate very strongly with my personal philosophy and approach to life:

[video=youtube;z9-eKhCukW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9-eKhCukW8[/video]

Eyedea's music captures my life in a few songs. Namely: Smile, I'm here for you, The Dive (parts one and two), Paradise, Man vs. Ape, Even shadows have shadows, and Birth of a Fish.

This guy's intuition, I'm unsure if it's Ni-Fe based, is crazy good and his words pointedly expressive, all aimed at dismantling prejudices and nurturing transcendence, literally a "time to self-actualize".

I also have a hunch that Eminem/Marshal Mathers is an angry/repressed INFJ with deft use of his Se. His music often portrays a mischievous, mayhem loving alter-ego strikingly similar to an ESTP shadow when referencing society and his peers, contrasting greatly with the messages in songs related to his daughters, past, and personal loneliness.

I also have a hunch that Eminem/Marshal Mathers is an angry/repressed INFJ with deft use of his Se. His music often portrays a mischievous, mayhem loving alter-ego strikingly similar to an ESTP shadow when referencing society and his peers, contrasting greatly with the messages in songs related to his daughters, past, and personal loneliness.
The angry repressed Se lead INFJ is kind of what really fascinates me, because I think the reality of the existence of that is often ignored and these guys are definitely mistyped. I've done me some shadow Se-ing too and feel that the understanding of these aspects in INFJs is stunted, unless I'm the onlyone who ever had a problem with this aspect of themselves.... I just can't really see clearly enough into the matter to analyze it and it's really bugging me. ..but I agree with you.

I've never been good at observing someone and just slingin their MBTI out there off the hip. I will tell you some of the more influential artists that pluck at my soul strings though. The big three have to be mentioned...Rory Gallagher, Jimi Hendrix, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Different variations of the blues, some more rock and role...some more psychedelic. They are the more flashier artists, but the paths they take you down have always amazed me. Flea is another of those artists, I used to sit for hours listening to him play bass...really happy with the mp3 players we have out nowadays, tired of wearing out compact discs. I have to mention Victor Wooten in there if I mention Flea, I guess because my style of bass playing is very meandering in nature and I think alot of this is because of how much I listened to Vic. Haven't mastered thump bass yet though, one of those things where people line up from around the damn corner telling you how to do it but till you find that perfect trajectory to launch your thumb at the metal string which is as forgiving as a cheese grater ...it don't sound right.

Then you have the real old school blues men and jazz guitarists. No electrical effects or distortion, just whatever tonal elements they could coax out of their acoustic instruments. Django Reinhardt and Lightnin Hopkins are two distinctly different artists in terms of style and presentation, but their expressions touch the soul...their music always felt timeless to me.

I suspect Anthony from Rhcp to be either infj or enfj. Big fan of him :m178:

[video=youtube;MQAAU8-2XLM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQAAU8-2XLM[/video]

Nick Cave seems like an INFJ to me. And a very good famous example i believe. He's really cool, his music is awesome, his bandmates too, i love him since i'm 16, actually i still have a man-crush with him so probably i'm a little bit biased lol.

[video=youtube;8RrS7P6UTKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RrS7P6UTKA[/video]

Leonard Cohen seems like another INFJ, i also heard that Marilyn Manson is another one but i don't know too much about him.

Avey Tare of Animal Collective seems like an INFJ to me. His music/lyrics/whatnot definitely seem to reflect the INFJ skeptical view of a beautiful world.

[video=youtube;nyEA-4UjlOU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyEA-4UjlOU[/video]

I can agree with this. In many ways, even as an artist (and judging by many of his facial expressions) he reminds me of myself. I see a familiar soul.

My music is characteristically violent, very angry, and I flirt with many isolation themes. I have been described as "prolific" (not my own words), and I can understand and see very clearly how and why INFJ musicians are this way. There are more than a few in the mainstream worth noting.

I can agree with this. In many ways, even as an artist (and judging by many of his facial expressions) he reminds me of myself. I see a familiar soul.

My music is characteristically violent, very angry, and I flirt with many isolation themes. I have been described as "prolific" (not my own words), and I can understand and see very clearly how and why INFJ musicians are this way. There are more than a few in the mainstream worth noting.

Maaaaan a soulbrother. I want to hear your INFJ music. Here is mine : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGDni7m0u3QITypIc0hU52w?view_as=subscriber

Hi there, INFJ here. One band that I really like (and I would hope that many other INFJs like them too) is the British band Muse. More specifically, I'm pretty convinced from observation that Matthew Bellamy is an INFJ muscian. Take a look at some of their live stage setups, it's very subversive. He also has this slightly awkward but very strong and loud stage presence, similar to other INFJ rock musicians. I've been to their Resistance tour. He did everything I would consider very sensory unfriendly (I'm on the autism spectrum, concerts are hard for me), but he had this one moment where he started twirling while swinging and playing his guitar - I can relate to "spinning stims" because I do them too, not with my guitar though, I try to keep those things separate. Anyway, another reason I'm basically convinced Matt is an INFJ is his lyrics, they feel so relatable (in some ways eerily relatable). One of their songs from the Absolution album, is Stockholm Syndrome. As someone who actually suffered from this disorder in my life, I know that the song isn't simply just a cool drop D riff, the lyrics of some Muse songs are dark, like some of these actual mental conditions. Any song from the album Showbiz to songs like Uprising from The Resistance (dark sounding riff, strange lyrics too) to even their most recent Drones and Simulation Theory album have a message. Their songs seem to change genre/mood a bit every with new album, but they get (at least in the song or album titles, if not lyrics) more thoughtful. A lot of people talk about Simulation Theory, but not a lot of bands have written an entire album on just that idea.

A lot of people don't enjoy Muse's sound anymore, but I know some people who still don't think their lyrics, song titles, and stage setup/presence are totally without meaning.

I remember reading a comment somewhere (don't ask me where, because I've absolutely forgotten by now) that there are two fields of work where INFJs are positively overrepresented: The clergy and the music industry. I personally know this to be true with female INFJs as 80-90% of all all-female bands in the local scene have at least had an INFJ in their midsts at some point of their existence (thanks to funky facebook MBTI apps for giving my suspicions more confirmation), which would qualify as a serious over representation or an unusual coincidence even with my elementary math skills.
I'm assuming that this rule of thumb would be the sameish for male INFJs.

Which male musicians do you think could possibly be INFJs?

If there's something that you identify as good grounds for suspicion of INFJyness (<---a totally legitimate word :whistle:) and can articulate what it is, please share. :)

And you INFJ guys in particular. Who do you especially relate to as musicians go??? Who do you listen to and think "That's just like how I feel/think"? ...Maybe that's something to consider too.

As far as INFJ male musicians - I nominate: Sonny Rollins, jazz tenor saxophone player.

Who do I especially relate to, as far musicians go and have a personal affinity for/synergistic with the way I think and feel?: There are two composers who, regardless of where I am in life, rev with my "inner patterns" of thought and feeling:
  • Charles Mingus, jazz bassist and composer(I can go on and on, but I'll just say I first heard Mingus' music when I was 12. It was a strange and wonderful experience, because I literally thought even at that time:"this music sounds like 'my life' - the tones of my inner experience". And his music still does that to me. My favorite album is Let My Children Hear Music. I could go on and on...)
  • Steve Reich, contemporary composer, known for inventing a new addition to the advancement of music theory, "phasing". He also was the inspiration for nearly all contemporary looping/sampling techniques. (I first heard Steve Reich's music when I was about 15-16 years old. I first listened to Music For 18 Musicians - and again, it was an instant personal recognition. If I could paint a picture of how my brain looks like with sound, it would like the rhythmic phasing of that album, and if my brain were to make it's own sound, it would be synonymous with the harmonic tone patterns of a lot of Steve Reich music. If that makes any sense.)