Making yourself moral guidelines | INFJ Forum

Making yourself moral guidelines

Krumplenump

Community Member
May 29, 2009
MBTI
eftagawrg
I wonder if anyone else periodically either mentally lists morals you'd like to adhere to and uphold or actually write them down? And if so what are they usually?

I seem to function much better at most things when I keep in mind some formula that I adapt to any given situation I find myself in. For example If I was in the presence of a war veteran I'd adopt 2 principles that I would like to see myself keeping: respect to those deserving and skill, or rather the ability and opportunity to soak up knowledge.

I have this hypothetical seven pronged list that I try to pluck one or two of to apply in a situation I'm not all that comfortable with.

Anyway, maybe this is typical of a lot of us, maybe not, anyone else do things like that?

Kinda.

Every now and then I'll write down what it is that I am passionate about and what is most important to me. Then, I try to decipher patterns in my life that correlate. I basically write these things down to understand why the things that are important to me are important to me.

I don't write moral guidelines. I don't write rules down and then follow them. I have to experience things in order to understand them and believe they are true or right.

I feel my way through life. This INFP description does a good enough job of trying to explain where my morals come from:
[INFP] rely heavily on their intuitions to guide them, and use their discoveries to constantly search for value in life. They are on a continuous mission to find the truth and meaning underlying things. Every encounter and every piece of knowledge gained gets sifted through the INFP's value system, and is evaluated to see if it has any potential to help the INFP define or refine their own path in life. The goal at the end of the path is always the same - the INFP is driven to help people and make the world a better place.