Long term Career advice | INFJ Forum

Long term Career advice

diolord89

One
Dec 17, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
I know this has been mentioned a plethora of times on this website but each individual is his own and I am wondering what yalls jobs are and how you knew that you wanted a career in them? I am 25 and at a cross roads going in too many directions, I need a little help from other INFJs if you don't mind. :)

Either find a way to get payed doing what you like or find a job that will be able to support doing what you like, either way do what you enjoy. This is comming from a part time preacher/full time security officer.

I'm a career counselor. I didn't know that I wanted to be a career counselor until I went through a military to civilian processing center. Im not an infj though.

Reactions: rawr
I am a 23 year old INFJ, and I am working in South Korea as an English Teacher. I have a lot of dreams I want to fulfill - one of them is becoming a translator, and the other is writing. In the long run, I would like to go back to America and settle down with writing, but I know that is a very difficult dream to achieve, so I want to settle with something else more attainable while I wait out on this dream - and that is to be able to translate things into English.

I mentioned I'm working in South Korea, but I'd love to work in Japan for a while, until I reach fluency...

I have had a moment where I wanted to do everything while I was in college, and it was pretty confusing to decide on something, but I ended up taking English, and enjoying my Japanese language class where I found something to hold onto... At least with my English degree I could tackle a few things...

Most of my dreams have been creative dreams, though, so definitely search for a major or job that will branch off to things you are highly interested in.

I know this has been mentioned a plethora of times on this website but each individual is his own and I am wondering what yalls jobs are and how you knew that you wanted a career in them? I am 25 and at a cross roads going in too many directions, I need a little help from other INFJs if you don't mind. :)

All depends on what you ultimately desire. If you want a good paying job and want to earn a lot of money; it's not hard to get as long as you suck up and work into the institution that you wish to be part of.

If you wish to be happy and satisfied then that requires a complete shift in life perspective where you will need to develop yourself and develop the skills and passions that give you strong urge to express who you are and what you can give to the world. This route will not guarantee "career" per se as you may have many interests and those interests may not be defined into traditional career category. This route requires resilience, risk and curiosity and allowing yourself to experience and find what makes you tick. This is a sole journey but ultimately very rewarding.

If you are confused about your directions then it simply means you have not figured out what you really want and what will make you happy. The best way to get to know what you enjoy is to go experience the areas that constantly catch your curiosity and interest and each experience will yield an aspect of who you are and you can start weeding out the things you don't like. Give it til your early 30's to figure it out or at least have base grasp of what you enjoy. You will not know for sure until you reach full maturity which will be after age 30.

For INFJs its important to be recognized for who we are and we are not easily won over by shallow levels of "success". Even once you reach this commercial idea of having a "good" career you will still not be satisfied if you neglect who you are on the inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sequel
I have a business degree and I've been working as a secretary in management and archive. It's not my thing at all anymore... I feel like I am not doing anything important and it doesn't have any deeper meaning to me. I'm currently completely lost with what I want to do in the future. This probably didn't help much, so lost too with the career choice. :/

at a cross roads going in too many directions

me too.. i am a system administrator although i want to shift into network engineering, maybe eventually network security. my interest and passion in IT is much less than it used to be, especially with the knowledge that some of these jobs are gradually being outsourced or remediated due to the advent of the cloud.

i am not passionate about it. i have thought about enrolling in courses so i can pursue roles in management (i prefer small teams and more practical leadership) or project management (totally alien to me, i can probably do it but it is a completely different field and mindset). or even financial advice, helping people to get their dream home.

i wish i could make a career out of writing games, short film and fiction - i have stories and ideas involving zombies, conspiracies, future earths, ancients and prehistoric lives and even little insect worlds. i do like getting lost in these worlds i have created.

or i can go back and work at a cafe again, lots of fun and it was exhausting interacting with so many people but very rewarding seeing their smiles once i have given them their dose of caffeine, cacao or sucrose

If you feel that the infj description fits you, there are a large number of suggestions for you to look at where career is concerned. Most of them are some kind of helping/teaching/counseling type of job.
I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I got a job entry level at a college that offered free classes. It gave me the freedom to take whatever I wanted and focused my goals into creating my own career.

If I had it to do over again I would have chosen to be a choreographer, radiologist, writer, agriculturist, entrepreneur in recycling, sculptor for the city, grant writer for any conceivable worthy cause, travel agent, homeopathic medicine healer, stained glass or fresco artist, painter or potter, hair stylist, upholsterer, fashion designer, interior decorator, captain of a ferry in the Caribbean, own a Bed 'n Breakfast or small boutique hotel, also I was always amazed with the sewage treatment plant idea and could imagine myself working in that industry or some kind of marine/water biology job.

My job is a speech therapist and it's a pleasant job when things are going smoothly, and noble job, but it's high stress because of the lack of evidence in my field and people breathing down your neck. There's a huge need in the world for what I do but not many common people understand our value, even though it's reimbursed by insurance in most cases. Lots of common sense needed. My problems stem from not being able to feel confident telling people what to do. SLPs, as we are called, do best by being direct with patients and determining their prognosis on the spot so we don't waste time. It's hard for me to do that. Also lots of SLPs provide unneeded therapy just because they can't quit serving someone even when they think no more progress is possible atm because whoever they work for dictate that sort of thing.

I make prosthetics: arms, legs, etc and I specialize in upper limb / arm prostheses--robotic, bionic (although I hate that word) arms and such. It is the perfect career for me. It draws on my strengths but I love it as well. It's part medical professional, part mechanic, part scientist, part therapist, part artist. I found the thing I was born to do. Not all the jobs I've had have been great, due to personality differences and such (most offices only have a few people and so personalities, conflicts and such can be very obvious and hard to avoid)
But I have never doubted my career choice for a second. I love it so much I do it in my free time: doing free projects for patients, experimenting with new ways of fabricating things, taking classes, reading new info, etc. If I won the lottery tomorrow I would still do it. I might change how I do it: more charity work, etc. but I'd never give it up.

So that's my "advice": find the thing you can say that about: It was what I was born to do, I'd do it whether I was getting paid or not. A lot easier said than done, I know, I know. I found my career by accident....and I also know I am very lucky.
But pay attention, play detective. Figure out those things that make you feel that way and see if you can turn them into careers. (Then make sure the actual daily execution of the job is what you think it is)

Good luck, and don't give up