Logic is overrated | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Logic is overrated

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by wolly.green, Aug 9, 2020.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 11 users.
More threads by wolly.green
  1. dragulagu

dragulagu Galactic Explorer

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    And on science fairs.

wolly.green likes this.
  2. charlatan

charlatan I Like this Place

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ne-ILE
    Enneagram:
    614? spsx
    I can think of a couple reasons why the two get so often associated in the popular image, (logic and reason), though I certainly also make the distinction made in the OP/realize there's a huge difference:

- generally, a logic component exists to what one might more broadly call reasoning, and may distinguish reason from other sorts of activity where such a component is far less present ... and may be seen as a key distinguishing component (even if it's not exhaustive in characterizing what reason is, or anywhere close)

- another simple but related point is I think, while the idea of using logic in a basic sense is not all that hard, when there are several highly technical steps involved, it can add a lot of difficulty, and I think in the social image of 'reason,' the fact this difficulty emerges might make them focus on the 'logic' component a lot more/thus conflate the terms.

Of course, creative reasoning is very hard as well, but I think that's at the higher levels (e.g. when you compare Einstein with another physicist)... if one thinks of a student in school struggling with science or mathematics, it's probably just getting used to the technical formalism that is hard. But once one gets used to that, it doesn't become the hardest part.

wolly.green and Hostarius like this.