Little known distances | INFJ Forum

Little known distances

S

Shai Gar

Did you know you could walk from Russia to America?

Or that the distance is only 38,480,217mm or 3.85km

From Russia to Germany it is only 358.94km...

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know you could walk from Russia to America?

Or that the distance is only 38,480,217mm or 3.85km

From Russia to Germany it is only 358.94km...

The ocean might slow you down, unless you're the reincarnated Moses. I know I am =D

nope, there's an ice wall at the moment that you can walk over with snow shoes.

People don't know that? Hmm.

[YOUTUBE]56F0BQHGlC0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

People don't know that? Hmm.

[youtube]56F0BQHGlC0&feature=related[/youtube]

Hahahahah my unawareness of the obvious isn't anything new. I'm sure the majority of people are a tidbit more aware than I. Hell, I spend so much of my time wrapping my nose up in a book that running into people while walking down the hall is the new trend- and my expirence with walking into walls is as plentiful as garbage at the dump!

The_Diomede_Islands_in_the_BeringSea_(picture_from_space).jpg

Big Diomede Island is Russia
Little Diomede Island is USA

That was the border agreed upon in the 1867 Treaty that finalised the Sale of Alaska from Imperial Russia, to United States of America.

At the moment there's a large amount of ice build up between the two islands making it possible to walk from Russia to America.

As to the distance between Russia and Germany, have you never heard of Kaliningrad Oblast?

The_Diomede_Islands_in_the_BeringSea_(picture_from_space).jpg

Big Diomede Island is Russia
Little Diomede Island is USA

That was the border agreed upon in the 1867 Treaty that finalised the Sale of Alaska from Imperial Russia, to United States of America.

At the moment there's a large amount of ice build up between the two islands making it possible to walk from Russia to America.

As to the distance between Russia and Germany, have you never heard of Kaliningrad Oblast?

No, but that's probably because my World Geography didn't do his job; rather, he sat and talked about the evils of gay marriage all day. =/

Uhh, that's an american border and your school didn't even teach that?

Uhh, that's an american border and your school didn't even teach that?
No. I do know, however, how twinkies are made thanks to the same teacher who was supposed to be telling me these things. I blame Utah.

So Sarah Palin was right then? Eventhough I don't think she said that lol..

So Sarah Palin was right then? Eventhough I don't think she said that lol..

COURIC: Have you ever been involved with any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

PALIN: We have trade missions back and forth. We-- we do-- it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where-- where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is-- from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to-- to our state.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/...09/25/palin-talks-russia-with-k_n_129318.html

Last edited by a moderator:
*waves a bigass bundle of smoldering sage around the forum*

OUT! OUT! No more Palin! BAD! ALL BAD!

*Is SO glad Palin was not elected VP...*

Yeah, Shai. Unfortunately school geography mostly focuses on the lower 48 states. You rarely study boarders outside of the states, like Guam, the US Virgin Islands, or how close Russia is from Alaska.

And it's a shame. I think it would've made geography far more interesting.

I think that's true of all national geography or history education, really. Unless I'm mistaken, most historical texts used in public education are government sanctioned. Aren't they? We are taught what our governments think is most valuable for our countrymen to be taught. Outlying areas of large countries or boundaries that had less of an historical impact might be omitted in favor of those areas with more dramatic histories or more likely day-to-day value.

And what is taught in public schools can further be narrowed in certain places within a certain nation, based on the culture in those places. I'm confining my thoughts to elementary/high school public education which is the only education I've received and therefore feel qualified to post opinions on.

Ice Curtain
Flanking Englands hold on the north american continent, aiding an ally (Russia) to get rid of territory without the english simply TAKING it.

That played a huge role in preventitive history. Which I feel is just as important as performed history and should be taught as well.

This guy Karl Bushby is walking around the world at the moment and he walked across the Bering Strait and into Russia. The ice sheet was breaking up and it looked like hell. He foolishly didn't have a visa for Russia and walked in with a gun that he had in case of bears in Alaska. Needless to say that he was not exactly welcomed by the Russians. There's a film about that leg of the journey.....Here are the links if anyone is interested......

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2rOM7bdK8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CjUf9GOy7WA&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_yZhlGZpYts&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8vdKxtd_s&feature=related

Forget about what you learn in school. Once you're in the real world, immerse yourself. Then you're really ready to learn.

On another note. Please don't mention Palin. She asssasinated Bullwinke before I could mount his horns to my wall.