[ENTJ] - Let's talk statistics. | INFJ Forum

[ENTJ] Let's talk statistics.

How smart is Pin?

• Sharp as a TACK. Get it?

• He's a man of middling IQ, smarter than many though.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pin

"Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart
Jun 26, 2017
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4, 3-8-7
Some people like to talk about philosophy. Others like to talk about math. I wasn't that interested in math as a kid but statistics is extremely useful if you're looking for a job in today's economy, especially a high paying one.

We'll start with z-scores in personal terms. A z-score is just a measurement that tells you how different one person's average is different from the group's average. A z-scores of 0 means that one person's average is identical with the group average or group mean.

I'm going to explore new statistical concepts in this thread as time goes on. We might even lure a lurker into making an account on this website.

"Professor Pin can you teach me da math?" I hear them begging already.

Last edited:
Yes but more importantly, what is my z-score?
Well, on the basis of IQ scores I'd give you a z-score of 2. Ergo, you're probably 2 standard deviations above the mean. IQ is a normal distribution so you probably have an IQ of at least 120.

Reactions: John K and Ren
Well, on the basis of IQ scores I'd give you a z-score of 2. Ergo, you're probably 2 standard deviations above the mean. IQ is a normal distribution so you probably have an IQ of at least 120.

This looks good at first sight, but your argument is actually completely circular. You ascribe me a z-score of 2 on the basis of IQ; and then you conclude with an estimation of my IQ on the basis of my z-score.

So my question is, why use the concept of z-score if we already have the (much more clear and measurable) concept of IQ? What does the concept of z-score add that we don't already have with the concept of IQ?

I love stats
giphy.gif

So my question is, why use the concept of z-score if we already have the (much more clear and measurable) concept of IQ? What does the concept of z-score add that we don't already have with the concept of IQ?
IQ scores are normally distributed with a mean of 100. In your example, one standard deviation from the mean is 10. Because your IQ is two standard deviations away from the mean (z-score of 2), you have an IQ of 120.

Your IQ is is 2 standard deviations away from the mean. You get a z-score of 2, so two standard deviations. Or in other words, your IQ is 20 points above average.

Reactions: John K and Ren
IQ scores are normally distributed with a mean of 100. In your example, one standard deviation from the mean is 10. Because your IQ is two standard deviations away from the mean (z-score of 2), you have an IQ of 120.

Your IQ is is 2 standard deviations away from the mean. You get a z-score of 2, so two standard deviations. Or in other words, your IQ is 20 points above average.

Yes, I got that. I was just wondering if z-score was more than just another word for IQ. Doesn't seem like it is.

Reactions: John K and Pin
Reactions: Pin
Reactions: John K and Pin
IQ scores are normally distributed with a mean of 100. In your example, one standard deviation from the mean is 10.

Typically, a standard deviation as it regards IQ distribution has a value of 15.

The Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale has a standard deviation value of 16.

When I was a lad, they administered to me the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC).

I know my score, but that’s only for me.

That said, I am a deviant, and I’m guessing a rather standard one.

Cheers,
Ian

Intelligence ≠ wisdom, always keep that in mind. If someone can find an experiment showing that it is with a correlation of reasonable size and that was tested relatively unbiased I would be impressed.

Edit: to add, the hardest bit would be defining the construct of "wisdom" and it's many facets.

Last edited:
Intelligence ≠ wisdom, always keep that in mind. If someone can find an experiment showing that it is with a correlation of reasonable size and that was tested relatively unbiased I would be impressed.

Edit: to add, the hardest bit would be defining the construct of "wisdom" and it's many facets.

I doubt wisdom can be measured since it manifests predominantly in qualitative statements.

I used to value intelligence more, now I value wisdom more.

Yeah, I just made it 10 to be easy.

Lazy boi. So I got an IQ of 132 not 120!

:m034:

When I was a lad, they administered to me the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC).

I know my score, but that’s only for me.

We all know you have an IQ of 9'800 aeon, just like Bowser.

1410f88e3e06c9f57d4d10bedd37f7ce7edf7cc526434c32605ff56dacd01da6_1.jpg

Yes, I got that. I was just wondering if z-score was more than just another word for IQ. Doesn't seem like it is.
Actually, the z-score seems to have more information than just IQ. It provides one's IQ and also provides one's departure from the mean. With only one's IQ at his disposal, one has no idea of its departure from the mean.