Last film you watched, Part 2 | Page 52 | INFJ Forum

Last film you watched, Part 2

Very true, though I will say that there are certain mindsets required for certain jobs which often explains why certain people are drawn to them.

An ENFP for example would probably have a f difficult time being a claims processor. The lack of contact with people and rote nature of going over numbers and rules would be unlikely to appeal to them much. They could do it but it would be a bit stressful I think. Istj on the other hand? That's their dream job. Rules! Enforce rules! Lol
Possibly. I'm still nor sure whether my new job can be in any way fulfilling (I'll be learning how to program). But I don't want to derail the thread any further. We can take this elsewhere if you like.

Reactions: slant
Halloween Kills (2021)….1/5….Horror films are not known for amazing scripts but this was a shit comet. How can you show a man have supernatural strength in one scene (lifting a firefighter with all its equipment on with one arm) and in another later scene have him struggle in arm to arm combat, especially after being told that the more he has killed, the stronger the killer has become. This had inconsistent writing IN the inconsistent writing.
It has characters who are a better fit in a Borat film than a Halloween one. You could literally layer the Benny Hill Show theme music over the hospital scene and you wouldn’t know this wasn’t a comedy. Some kills are played for fun and then some kills we are meant to feel bad for the dead. I think the scene where Laurie savagely plunges the syringe into her ass pretty much summed up the film……Unnecessary.
In the past three years these folks have ruined the Predator and Halloween franchises with some of the most awful screenwriting ever seen in big budget horror. The only positives for me were the kills, like the knife in the eye, it’s just a shame that what comes before the kill is so moronic.

Reactions: Gaze and Wyote
Malignant (2021)
Hilarious concept for a horror story that somehow works…in places.
Good atmosphere. Interesting monster —-until we see it choosing a wardrobe, while it makes sense in context, it was still funny to see and takes away from the threat, it’s like seeing Michael Myers stopping in at the Starbucks before heading to Haddonfield. Anyways, the end was confusing because of the way it plays out, because surely there has to be legal repercussions for the behavior displayed throughout the film. It has a more creepy vibe and far better screenplay than Halloween Kills (2021) and that’s a damn shame.
Final Verdict…2/5…Silly enough to be fun, but at the same time we are shown things from the monster’s POV that took me away from the horror aspect and immersion. It does have a better screenplay than Halloween Kills, but I’m in no rush to rewatch either one ever again.

Last edited:
Don't Look Up

I got bored halfway through and just tuned in and out periodically thereafter between rounds of Noita. I think the message is that "people are dumb and life is precious" but it did not remotely need the 130 minutes it took to say that.

Last edited:
Venom: Let There Be Carnage

It was ok. Some mindless fun.
I think they overdid everything. The first film felt like it had more subtlety and character development whereas this was just trying to throw a bunch of stuff at you.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage

It was ok. Some mindless fun.
I think they overdid everything. The first film felt like it had more subtlety and character development whereas this was just trying to throw a bunch of stuff at you.

Somewhat agree. I really liked Venom from the first movie. He was actually my favorite character. I think they messed with Venom a bit too much in this and made his character a mockery. I really did enjoy the scene where he made breakfast using every single food he could find in the kitchen to cheer up Eddie. :D

Nightmare Alley (2022)

This was apparently a remake of a 1947 film noir. I like the return to the Classical Hollywood style of filmmaking but I don't think everyone is going to understand or appreciate it unless they grew up on these types of films. I am annoyed at the "this movie was too slow" in audience reviews. I am giving it an 8.5 or 9, because at least it's different and not the same as everything else out there right now. Bradley Cooper's time away from the spotlight, gave him a more mature and seasoned presence. I think he did a great job reflecting a Clark Gable persona in this film, despite the original actor Tyrone Power being the lead in the 1947 version. Apparently, Leonardo DiCaprio was the original choice and I am glad he wasn't the final choice. I think Bradley really leaned into the Classical Hollywood male star aesthetic (not too badly) reminding me of a mix of Cary Grant, Clark Gable, and Humphrey Bogart. He knew when to exert the effort and when to hold back. Cate Blanchet definitely reflected the sophistication of the 1940s film star, but her character was not very well developed. Her character was interesting, but there was less nuance there than initially suggested when her character was first introduced. I think Rooney Mara's performance as Molly will likely be the most underrated. Her performance was the most realistic, natural, and understated. She reminded me of Audrey Hepburn or Janet Leigh. Unfortunately, I think many of her scenes had her reacting to Stan (Bradley's Character) Bradley rather than shining as her character. I think maybe Guillermo Del Toro could've directed her to lean in a bit more to really support that film noir hopeless heroine in a way that allowed her to truly stand out on her own separate from her character's connection to Stan. Toni Collette, Willem Dafoe (who never seems like he is acting), Richard Jenkins, and Ron Perlman were also pretty good.

Reactions: Wyote
I really liked Venom from the first movie. He was actually my favorite character. I think they messed with Venom a bit too much in this and made his character a mockery. I really did enjoy the scene where he made breakfast using every single food he could find in the kitchen to cheer up Eddie. :D

Yeah that's part of what I meant, it was like they took Venom too far with the cartoonish aspects.

I loved that scene too, it was sort of cartoonish but it felt like it fit well for their relationship at the time.

Reactions: Gaze
Togo.

Second time I watched it but man, what a truly amazing movie this is. And based on a true story. As a kid, I was a huge fan of the dog Balto, but I never knew that actually Togo was the true hero. They are both good boys though. I wish the story about Togo was more known. I definitely recommend this movie (it is on Disney+).

Reactions: Wyote and Gaze
Trick r Treat (2007)
I can’t believe I had not watched this before this weekend. This horror anthology was so much fun. Every character is entertaining. The twists kept me guessing what was going to happen next. Absolutely loved the Sam little boy character and when we see his real face, I was not disappointed. Some people hate the look, but I thought it was just perfect.
The way the stories were intertwined was fantastic, like what Gus Van Saint’s Elephant (2003) does with the school shooting, as it follows multiple characters that day. It really pays off at the end. Great gore. Great dialogue. Unexpected twist within the twists, plenty of tension and fun suspense.
One of the best Halloween themed films I have watched in a while. This is going on my “must watch on Halloween Night List”. I knew about Halloween’s origins, so it was cool to see Samhain be explained in the film.
Final verdict….5/5…if you haven’t seen it, don’t look it up, just watch it. The school bus story was so chilling to me. That was some of the best cinematography I have seen in a while, everything, everything about that story was amazing and disturbing, that Dracula mask still haunts me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze and Wyote
Wrath of Man. A gory long path to revenge movie.

It delivers the satisfaction of action, violence, and understated masculine wit in spades. It's the movie equivalent of a big, rare, perfectly cooked, satisfying steak, with no annoying gristle of unnecessary side plots, or political messaging.

The 355

Underwhelming. Great cast, but poorly underused. They took beautiful, highly competent women, and gave them a light salad to feast on. I almost felt disrespected for them. The only character who was most realistic was Diane Kruger. I felt insulted on behalf of Penelope Cruz as the spy psychologist. I liked her sensitivity. However, it's Penelope Cruz. She would have been better as one of the spies. I felt as if her role underestimated her. Jessica Chastain's character did not make sense as someone who was supposed to be this highly competent spy. Lupita was cool, but I don't think she was given a strong enough role. I am not a fan of Fan Bing Bing being brought in late. I wish she was brought in from the start, on an equal playing field as the rest of the women. I hate when female spies are weakly written to focus on physical prowess but not written realistically and as intelligently when it comes to their intelligence considering the role they are playing. Or when their physical attractiveness is seen as one of their biggest assets, even as a distraction for other things.

Not that it is the standard for female spy films, but Black Widow was better in some respects.

Anyone else see this film? What did you think? Feel free to disagree with me :)

Reactions: InfernoMink
As Above, So Below.

It's a largely uknown movie, and it's surprising considering how it's much better than the Descent. Atmospheric, introspective and terrifying.

As Above, So Below.

It's a largely uknown movie, and it's surprising considering how it's much better than the Descent. Atmospheric, introspective and terrifying.

One of the best found footage films I ever watched. I found this more fun and interesting than Rec (2007).
And that mind bending ending…

Spoiler:

I loved imagining being trapped in that place at the end, plus that camera shot of them ascending (descending) from the catacombs was superb and really added to the disorientation. The end really gave my brain a workout, like I said, imagine never dying and just ending up on alternate versions of your past life. Delicious mental stuff.

As Above, So Below.

I did enjoy it a lot but better than The Descent? As above (heh) that ending was really cool and way better than both endings of The Descent but I prefer The Descent.

Last film I watched was Martyrs. I honestly don't know what I thought of it. I'd heard all this hype and about how horrible it was and I can't decide what I think.

It was horrible for sure but the first half was actually really good. The ending ruined it tbh as it was a bit too farfetched. Up until the outsiders came into it I thought it was very good but everything after the MC is on her own felt a bit unnecessary and didn't add much that couldn't be done another way.