894tt3h9

On Holiday
Oct 3, 2009
MBTI
Beep Boop
Enneagram
Beep Boop
Hi All,

Laser Eye Surgery is something that I have been debating for quite some time. I have some friends who have had it done and they say it's the best thing they ever could have done. On the other hand I'm afraid that if I were to get the procedure something would go terribly wrong and my eyesight would be destroyed permanently... though that seems to be very rare.

Have any of you had laser eye surgery? What was your experience like? Was it worth the money?

Me too. And I have the same fears.
I'm seriously considering having it done in the fall.
If you wouldn't mind me adding to your question...

How did you chose the right doctor?

I use 28 day lenses - I basically I put them in and take them out a month later, and I forget that I am wearing contacts in between.
have you tried these or talked to your optometrist about using them? they're fantastic

I use 28 day lenses - I basically I put them in and take them out a month later, and I forget that I am wearing contacts in between.
have you tried these or talked to your optometrist about using them? they're fantastic

how does that work? doesn't it dry out your eyes?
everytime i wake up with my contacts in my eyes are super dry and my contacts are like glued to my eyeballs. ewww.

I don't think I could wear those. My eyes can't really tolerate wearing contacts for more than 8 hours at a time.

Reactions: Neuropedia
how does that work? doesn't it dry out your eyes?
everytime i wake up with my contacts in my eyes are super dry and my contacts are like glued to my eyeballs. ewww.

Me two. I want to get lasik eventually though. I have to wait until after college though. 28 day lenses sound good though.

I have had lasik surgery. I got as a gift from all my friends and family for my 25th birthday. I can tell you it is honestly one of the best gifts ever.

I was very nervous, with thought in my head like, "IT'S A LASER IN YOUR EYE!!". Anyway, there was a lot of research I did and I had a consultation with the surgeon before hand to determine if I was a good candidate.

I had 20/800 vision with severe astigmatism in both eyes. What a normal person sees from 800 feet away I had to be 20 feet from. :( Anyway, I had worn glasses and then gas permeable (hard contacts) almost my entire life.

I now have 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. The surgery was really expensive for me due to the severity (about $2650). I wouldn't change it for a thing. I am 34 years old and I love waking up and being able to see the alarm clock without any assistance. Oh and I'm a total sun glasses whore now.

They secure your eye in place with an optical drop and then visual stimulation. It feels as if your eye is tightening slightly when the surgery begins. It does not hurt at all. The scariest part is the slight smell of burning and getting used to using eye drops as your eyes go through the recovery period.

I highly recommend it. PM me if you want to talk more. :)

I don't think I could wear those. My eyes can't really tolerate wearing contacts for more than 8 hours at a time.

you can usually get a free sample, they're designed to be easier for your eyeballs so it's worth trying them, instead of assuming you need an option with substantially greater commitment\

they're really soft and squishy and thin and permeable. It's a bit of a fuss to get them in... in usually takes me ten minutes because they like fold into themselves and get stuck. I only have problems with my eyes getting dry after I haven't slept for a few days. I've never used other lenses so idk how sensitive my eyes are compared to anyone else's but in general my body hates everything

I have had lasik surgery. I got as a gift from all my friends and family for my 25th birthday. I can tell you it is honestly one of the best gifts ever.

I was very nervous, with thought in my head like, "IT'S A LASER IN YOUR EYE!!". Anyway, there was a lot of research I did and I had a consultation with the surgeon before hand to determine if I was a good candidate.

I had 20/800 vision with severe astigmatism in both eyes. What a normal person sees from 800 feet away I had to be 20 feet from. :( Anyway, I had worn glasses and then gas permeable (hard contacts) almost my entire life.

I now have 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. The surgery was really expensive for me due to the severity (about $2650). I wouldn't change it for a thing. I am 34 years old and I love waking up and being able to see the alarm clock without any assistance. Oh and I'm a total sun glasses whore now.

They secure your eye in place with an optical drop and then visual stimulation. It feels as if your eye is tightening slightly when the surgery begins. It does not hurt at all. The scariest part is the slight smell of burning and getting used to using eye drops as your eyes go through the recovery period.

I highly recommend it. PM me if you want to talk more. :)

Was that 2650 per eye?

Nope...total, but keep in mind it was 9 years ago so inflation might have taken hold. :)

That's about what I paid for my PRK. PRK is safer than LASIK but has a longer recovery time. I had it done in February. Mine was more expensive though because I had a custom job where they used a computer to measure the shape of my eye to calibrate the procedure instead of having them go by my prescription. It was about $1000 per eye for the basic procedure and about $300 per eye for the custom fitting. I had about 20/400 vision and now have 20/20 vision. I love it. It was absolutely worth it.

i'd love to have perfect vision but it sounds so scary to have that done.

could someone tell me more about th actual procedure, please. does the laser burn off part of your eye?

i'd love to have perfect vision but it sounds so scary to have that done.

could someone tell me more about th actual procedure, please. does the laser burn off part of your eye?

The worst part is when they rinse your eye with water. You don't feel the laser because you're numbed, although there can be a smell. It is extremely short though, just 10-15 minutes.

Let's see. There were a lot of tests beforehand. On the day of the surgery, the first thing they did was numb me then they led me into the room and had me lie down. They gave me a stuffed animal to hold to keep my hands away from my eyes. Next they taped my eyelashes down and put in a retractor thingy that opened my eye up so I couldn't close it.

After that they did a bunch of things to my eye that I was aware of but couldn't really feel (except some pressure). Some scraping I think. Once they were done, they turned on the laser and made sure I looked at the little blinking dot. Then the laser went on and I could smell ozone. Then they were done and did the same thing to the other eye.

Afterwards they gave me painkillers and I went home. I pretty much spent the next 5 days without any means of clear vision. My old glasses didn't work and my eye hadn't healed enough for me to see well. By about a week I could drive again. After a month I had 20/20 vision in both eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerosol
My sister got it, said it was the best thing she ever done. Her eye sight wasn't even that bad to begin with, I was surprised she wanted it tbh. About 99% or more don't suffer any complications, and those who do it's said to be minor and LASIK does an additonal opperation to correct the problem. Procedures seem to be very safe. This was after brief scouring of the web. There were no cases of actual blindness, but it's bit contradictory since the same sight reported blindness at 1 in 2000 or 0.05%.

Do you have to do it once in your life or do your eyes go back to normal after some years?

Do you have to do it once in your life or do your eyes go back to normal after some years?

It's for life but you can't stop the natural process of aging so you might need some drug store reading glasses at some point.

It's for life but you can't stop the natural process of aging so you might need some drug store reading glasses at some point.

Well, it can regress worse than that though. It depends on a lot of things though. And consider this, there is actually debate on what causes nearsightedness. Some optometrists believe it is due to how we focus on things closely all throughout our day rather than genetic.

So, if you read a ton or have a job that requires you to focus up close to things, your eyesight can regress again. I think the limit for lasik is like three times.

I think I am going to look into the 30 day contact lenses that Neuropedia suggested. I've never used contacts before but I am too nervous to get a surgical procedure right now. Also I am not able to get the time off to recover my eyes properly. I am sure as time goes on the technology will continue to improve so maybe I will feel less scared of it then!

Dove swears by LASIK. Just sayin'.