[INFJ] - Jung description of Ni... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Jung description of Ni...

I was trying to understand the text you posted and I can say that this section seems to represent me better than the rest:

I am an artist really, but I don't 'allow' myself what seems like an indulgence when I can use my talents for a more concrete and purposeful quest to make the world a better place in whatever small way I can.
I don't know if this is exactly what he meant but that is how I interpret it and it resonates with me that way.

Oh, and the first part I see as the fact that people have always underestimated me and judged me to be something that I am definitely not. There are a lot of people that are very surprised at the things I have been accomplishing in the last few years. I don't think they ever thought me capable of any of them, but I always knew I was.

I'm glad you bring this point, because this was actually why I made the thread :)
It seems to me that Jung kind of gave a warning for Introverted Intuitive, and Filatova socionics desription is the same.
It is the warning to not let ourself wholy in the drive of Ni, because that can be dangerous.

Introverted intuition in the leading bloc impedes him seeing himself from the outside. He finds it difficult to objectively evaluate his behavior, and is inclined to justify himself in everything. His inclination to distance himself from reality and difficulties in self-appraisal can lead to egocentrism and excessive submersion in his own world.

His professional activity and productivity are unpredictable, since his capacity for work highly depends on his internal state: short flashes of energetic activity alternate with periods of prolonged inaction. As a rule, he his energy drive is lowered, and he therefore he finds it difficult to continuously exert himself. The inherent to him asthenia – perceived weakness, exhaustion, and low energy – is frequently compensated for by the need for a prolonged night sleep. For this very reason, without the necessary moral support, he frequently finds himself at a lower social position than would correspond with his abilities. Thus IEI is prone to regard energetic people, whom hold a higher social status, with a secret sense of envy, to consider that life has wronged him, and, involuntarily trying to justify himself, he seeks external factors that could be faulted for his misfortunes. Meanwhile, he comforts himself in the fact that his high sensitivity and brittleness of psyche, refinement of his principles and ideals, do not permit him to act by the same methods as others. Thus, he justifies his own passivity by viewing himself above the surrounding world, thereby psychologically shielding himself. He finds it difficult to accept responsibility for everything that happens to him. He prefers to lay responsibility on external factors, especially if things are going badly. IEI rarely takes up routine work of any kind, and if he does he may try to shirk from it and carry it out negligently.

I'm glad you bring this point, because this was actually why I made the thread :)
It seems to me that Jung kind of gave a warning for Introverted Intuitive, and Filatova socionics desription is the same.
It is the warning to not let ourself wholy in the drive of Ni, because that can be dangerous.

I can relate to this:
His professional activity and productivity are unpredictable, since his capacity for work highly depends on his internal state: short flashes of energetic activity alternate with periods of prolonged inaction. As a rule, he his energy drive is lowered, and he therefore he finds it difficult to continuously exert himself. The inherent to him asthenia – perceived weakness, exhaustion, and low energy – is frequently compensated for by the need for a prolonged night sleep. For this very reason, without the necessary moral support, he frequently finds himself at a lower social position than would correspond with his abilities. Thus IEI is prone to regard energetic people, whom hold a higher social status, with a secret sense of envy, to consider that life has wronged him, and, involuntarily trying to justify himself, he seeks external factors that could be faulted for his misfortunes. Meanwhile, he comforts himself in the fact that his high sensitivity and brittleness of psyche, refinement of his principles and ideals, do not permit him to act by the same methods as others.

I think that is how I lived a lot of my life until the last few years. I always felt what some others had more of then me was 'drive'. I felt that I had, as much talent as some people who were very succesful and more than most people I know (I'm so humble ;) ) but that what I lacked was the drive to be succesful. On the other hand, I have spent most of those years taking care of other people and I did use that as an excuse why I couldn't accomplish what I was capable of but when I look back I don't think I could have done it any other way. I took care of people who really needed me and if I hadn't I'm sure I would feel really guilty and worse than the fact that I didn't accomplish all these great things that I could have.

It did take me a while to kick into gear once I didn't have all the same responsibilities. It can be really difficult to change your way of doing things when you have been doing them that way for so long. For me, it took the realization that the best thing I could do for the ones I care about at this point is to concentrate on making things happen for myself. I am working very very hard these days but I do have to take time to 'veg out' on a regular basis because I am not like those people that can be on the go all the time with barely any sleep and getting crazy amounts of stuff done (those are the super-succesful people). My brain is unable to function properly if I push it too hard so I have to accept that but I work on getting right back at getting things done as soon as my brain feels up to it.

I wish sometimes that I had accomplished more in the past but I'm not sure that I could have.

For myself, I was considered by many to be an artist when I was younger, but I also had an equal, if not greater, interest in the sciences and in math. I live in a constant world of images and connections between remote ideas that I try to weave together into some larger construct. Many of my scientific, religious, and artistic interest sometimes contradict each other and I'm constantly trying to unify it all. I really do think in images and it can be extremely difficult to articulate to others. Drawing graphs or pictures help me extrovert my thoughts and to show how things relate to one another. On top of it all, I'm a very pragmatic person and am actually pretty productive in my daily affairs. Part of the struggle is trying to iron everything out. It has taken me a while to figure out that I am Ni dominant. Part of the reason is because many of the online descriptions of Ni, and the types that were constructed out of Ni dominants, seemed rather shallow and simplistic to me. Another reason was that it was hard to objectively look at the lens in which I view the world through. But ultimately, only Ni can account for the types of thoughts I have, the types of conversations I enjoy, the art I appreciate, and many of the other interests I have. I get a strong impression from others that the way I think is not like how most people do. Jung's description is like someone peering into my mind and describing how it works. But, I have payed close attention to how I make decisions since discovering Jung and have found that I have a preference for thinking over feeling, despite being rather empathetic. The socionics decription of INTp(NiTe) fits me extremely well when I'm at my most natural way of being.

Last edited:
I find there is a lot of inertia involved with Ni. An object at rest stays prefers to stay at rest, while an object in motion prefers to stay in motion.

i dont know if this is completely relevant but this is just the thoughts that came up for me in relation to the thread. i think sometimes with a strong Ni type "vision" there is a sense that "this is truth". well it may very well be truth. but often with this strong feeling i think that people get caught up in a notion that truth is just one thing. i think truth is something that can only be incompletely known. theres always another truth out there that we dont know and we have to try to remember that.

i dont know if this is completely relevant but this is just the thoughts that came up for me in relation to the thread. i think sometimes with a strong Ni type "vision" there is a sense that "this is truth". well it may very well be truth. but often with this strong feeling i think that people get caught up in a notion that truth is just one thing. i think truth is something that can only be incompletely known. theres always another truth out there that we dont know and we have to try to remember that.

i think truth is something that can only be incompletely known.
Is this a complete known truth, or is it a incomplete known truth?
If its is a complete known truth, than you statement is not true, since there is at least one completly known truth.
If it is a incomplete known truth, than again your statement is contradictory, since thre could be completly known truths.

Is this a complete known truth, or is it a incomplete known truth?
If its is a complete known truth, than you statement is not true, since there is at least one completly known truth.
If it is a incomplete known truth, than again your statement is contradictory, since thre could be completly known truths.

its incomplete of course. however it may be meaningful as a simple statement concerning our ability to approach and handle fragments of knowledge. its a practical remark intended to address particular concerns raised in the material presented.

Here's an interview of Jung on Ni, it's fairly interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_7DpbJ1xFg
(skip to 5:00 for the Ni stuff)

I really recognized myself in Jung's description of Ni.

While I was listening to him I suddenly had some insight into why I often feel such a need to 'look up' or research things that people tell me and swear about in conversations. I can automatically sense when things are not 'fitting together' in what people say. It's like whenever I'm hearing information it goes inside and fits into this puzzle where things interconnect and I find connections between different ideas. When something just doesn't fit into a 'space' in this puzzle (which I guess is made up of everything I've internalized and learned) then it's just floating around and needs to be sorted out so I know if I need to discard it as useless information or change the shape of the puzzle piece slightly so it can fit into a spot that makes sense. I also need to look the information up so I can try to verbalize what I instinctively know in a way that will make sense to others and not just to me. Does that make sense?

I don't have a lot of knowledge of the functions but I guess I see Ni as what makes my brain connect different disperate ideas together to come up with new conclusions that seem obvious to me and somehow seems to have not even been thought of by others around me. It happens automatically without me realizing it until the conclusion is just sitting there as obvious as can be to me. If I can verbalize it properly to somebody who is willing to listen then they usually agree that it makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: z523x4gr98j
Thanks for posting this. It's really interesting.

I don't know which words i would use to tell my experience as a Ni user. For me is something that is a given, i have no chance but to go by it, and my words fail to give an accurate impression of what i experience inside. Usually i try to draw or write those things down. The image is there, i can see it, always, with detail, i'm certain of it but, how could i translate it hands-on, by music, or poetry or whatever, god!, it has been a real challenge, i get frustrated really easily.

Sometimes i detach from the outer world to the point where it gets unhealthy, by example a year ago i a had a huge crisis, where i ended up dissociating myself from the outer world, like questioning myself if i was really here, now, i didn't had the certainty that this was real, i've started to have panic attacks, and my energy went really low, i've started to have headeaches and some other things. When it became obvious, people started to ask me what was wrong with me, i couldn't answer, i honestly didn't knew exactly what it was, i just knew that something was taking control over me, and i was then helpless. Not that i believe in possesions, or some sort of supernatural things (i'm open but also skeptical), but i didn't had the chance to understand that in the right moment, so i went with this "thing" without knowing why nor what it was... I thought i was doing a psychosis, or schizophrenia, but my then therapist said that i wasn't.
Not so long ago i heard someone say that for INTJs in the unhealthy stages, it's like living in a constant but high funcioning schizophrenia (not actually schizophrenia, but closer compared to other people). I think it could apply to unhealthy INFJs too, to a degree at least since maybe Ti tempers this a little bit, but i don't know about that to be honest.

I must say that some of what Jung haves to say about Ni describes my inner experience to a point where it gets frightening haha.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. It's really interesting.

I don't know which words i would use to tell my experience as a Ni user. For me is something that is a given, i have no chance but to go by it, and my words fail to give an accurate impression of what i experience inside. Usually i try to draw or write those things down. The image is there, i can see it, always, with detail, i'm certain of it but, how could i translate it hands-on, by music, or poetry or whatever, god!, it has been a real challenge, i get frustrated really easily.

Sometimes i detach from the outer world to the point where it gets unhealthy, by example a year ago i a had a huge crisis, where i ended up dissociating myself from the outer world, like questioning myself if i was really here, now, i didn't had the certainty that this was real, i've started to have panic attacks, and my energy went really low, i've started to have headeaches and some other things. When it became obvious, people started to ask me what was wrong with me, i couldn't answer, i honestly didn't knew exactly what it was, i just knew that something was taking control over me, and i was then helpless. Not that i believe in possesions, or some sort of supernatural things (i'm open but also skeptical), but i didn't had the chance to understand that in the right moment, so i went with this "thing" without knowing why nor what it was... I thought i was doing a psychosis, or schizophrenia, but my then therapist said that i wasn't.
Not so long ago i heard someone say that for INTJs in the unhealthy stages, it's like living in a constant but high funcioning schizophrenia (not actually schizophrenia, but closer compared to other people). I think it could apply to unhealthy INFJs too, to a degree at least since maybe Ti tempers this a little bit, but i don't know about that to be honest.

I must say that some of what Jung haves to say about Ni describes my inner experience to a point where it gets frightening haha.

Thank you for your answer, sir!

My understanding of Ni is that Ni search for the ultimate cause of everything. Ni cuts deep deep, to understand, to comprehend fully the nature of things. Ni is not satisfied with the superficial, it seeks to find laws that apply and have direct link to the fundamental, to the core of things, to the big picture.

Ni is a wonderful funtion, but its a subjective function, meaning it can have some problems, if its not checked and kept in control by logic.

In your post, you said you had some unordinary experiences, some interesting and detaching experiences. And I can relate to that also. I've been through almost the same experiences. I don't think that these experiences are the mistycal ground of Ni, but rather the immature and naive ground of Ni. Allow me to explain.

The danger of the Ni subjectiveness is that is not grounded in logic, in rational and strong emphasis of the laws of logic. Logic is like a compass, like a guide. Remember what Jung said: Ni left by its own (whithout Ti), can potentially JUSTIFY anything. But than INFJS have a tertiary Ti. We only have to activate it, to use it

Just to give a example of Ni bad thinking, some philosophers in the past have argued that we as humans don't exist, that existence is a illusion. Only a Ni user can say something so absurd and contradictory, and to him it would seem like the most rational thing in the world.
But here is how Descartes thinks. He thinks logical...he is very aware of logic. He shield and protect himself from non-sense and absurd by means of logic. He simply states this:
'I think, therefore I am/exist'.
His reasoning is simple: To negate the existence, one would have to appeal at reason and thinking, but for one to reason and think, one must therefore exist in the first place. So he discovered to basic fundamentals of correct thinking:
1. The reality of existence.
2. The reality of reason.

A INFJ who only uses Ni heavily can become a wisely stupid or naive person, like Jung said 'a great man gone wrong'. For a INFJ to develop his full potential, he must activate and tap on his tertiary function, Ti.

Ni is a wonderful funtion, but its a subjective function, meaning it can have some problems, if its not checked and kept in control by logic.

I aggree with you on this. The main problem that i have when comunicating what's happening inside me to an intimate or friend, , is that i don't make myself clear, they seldom understand, and i don't blame them (they aren't dumb or shallow), since i can be incredibly self absorbed in what i say. I have a decent command on Fe to try not to get stuck into my own world, and care about the other person too and show them that i'm here for them, to learn from them, and obviously have a good time too, and not only show them how deluded my inner world is.
There was a time though where i couldn't even do that, i was full into my own head, neglecting everything from the physical world, and ironically i had frequent Se outbursts where i just didn't realized the impact of the stupid things i did.

The danger of the Ni subjectiveness is that is not grounded in logic, in rational and strong emphasis of the laws of logic. Logic is like a compass, like a guide. Remember what Jung said: Ni left by its own (whithout Ti), can potentially JUSTIFY anything. But than INFJS have a tertiary Ti. We only have to activate it, to use it

Oh yeah, i totally get you on this. My Ti is recently starting to kick in, like trying to see with a skeptical eye my own deluded visions, or fantasies without feeling that i will die because my understanding of a certain situation didn't turned out to be the way i wanted to and probably the answer is much more simple and less dramatic. I can't say that i'm always succesful though.

Just to give a example of Ni bad thinking, some philosophers in the past have argued that we as humans don't exist, that existence is a illusion. Only a Ni user can say something so absurd and contradictory, and to him it would seem like the most rational thing in the world.
But here is how Descartes thinks. He thinks logical...he is very aware of logic. He shield and protect himself from non-sense and absurd by means of logic. He simply states this:
'I think, therefore I am/exist'.
His reasoning is simple: To negate the existence, one would have to appeal at reason and thinking, but for one to reason and think, one must therefore exist in the first place. So he discovered to basic fundamentals of correct thinking:
1. The reality of existence.
2. The reality of reason.

That's exactly where i was, i'm not too familiar with Descartes, but i know that famous quote of his. I've read some Ni philosophers i believe, Nietzsche is the one i'm most familiar with, he didn't really said that our existence was an illusion, at least not with those words (well actually he did said something like that countless times lol), but he did seemed to fit the description of a rather neurotic Ni dom, and some other things that he said where also extremely illogical i kinda relate to him, his focus was pretty far away from reality at least but i don't think he was a Fe user.
Adressing the crisis that i had not too long ago, leaving it short, by the end i realized that some things require time to understand. Probably this is not really Ti alone, but Ni+Ti thing.

A INFJ who only uses Ni heavily can become a wisely stupid or naive person, like Jung said 'a great man gone wrong'. For a INFJ to develop his full potential, he must activate and tap on his tertiary function, Ti.

Yes indeed, i've seen that in some people that i know, even though i'm not close to another Ni dominant now as far as i know. I've been told that i have some talents and to be honest i do have a certain fear of going the wrong way and not develop my fullest potential, since i do have an idea of what i'm good at even if sometimes i feel more comfortable thinking of myself as crap haha.

Here's an interview of Jung on Ni, it's fairly interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_7DpbJ1xFg
(skip to 5:00 for the Ni stuff)
I have to say that I find Jung's understanding of Ni to be incomplete, or at least partly accurate. Something is missing in it, and I can't realise what is it.
Jung once said in a interview that Hitler, which he himself indetified as a Ni user, was a 'mystic man', a medicine man, who listens to a 'Voice', which is the 'Voice' of german subconsciousness. I have to say it is a romantic idea, but how can one prove it?

Also, what is bodering me about Ni more than anything else, is that Jung made it sound more like guessing, or as a completly irrational function. Althought those who are familiar with Jung's work know very well Jung didn't used the terms like rational or irrational in a traditional and orthodox sense, but rather in its own psychological context, the system which he developed.

Why on earth would Victor Gulenko, the guy on Socionics, would asign INFJ to fulfil the job of a abstract thinker, if Ni is a irrational function? Who's got the wrong undertanding of Ni? Jung or Gulenko?

The Enneagram 5's :"Replacing direct experience with concepts?" as a bad tempation, as a weakness. Concepts, we're talking about high intelligence here. Very interesting, huh?
And perhaps the most interesting thing is that all Enneagram 5 are intuitives, mostly INTJs, INFJs, and INTPs. So how does this come into play with the 'irrationality' of Ni and Ne ?

What is the main difference between Jungian understanding of Intuition, and especially Introverted Intuition, as compared to for example, a philosophical definition of Intuition, like Henri Bergson.

" defined metaphysics as the science that dispenses with symbols to grasp the absolute.[1] Hence metaphysics involves an inversion of the habitual modes of thought and is in need of its own method, which he identified as intuition.

Henri Bergson defined intuition as a simple, indivisible experience of sympathy through which one is moved into the inner being of an object to grasp what is unique and ineffable within it. The absolute that is grasped is always perfect in the sense that it is perfectly what it is, and infinite in the sense that it can be grasped as a whole through a simple, indivisible act of intuition, yet lends itself to boundless enumeration when analysed.[1]

Two images Henri Bergson gave in his essay "An Introduction to Metaphysics" may aid us in comprehending the ideas of intuition, analyses, the absolute and the relative. The first image is a city reconstructed with juxtaposed photographs taken from every viewpoint and angle. The reconstruction can never give us the dimensional value of walking through the actual city. This can only ever be grasped through a simple intuition. The same goes for the experience of reading a single line of Homer. If you wish to explain this experience to someone who cannot speak ancient Greek, you may translate the line and lay commentary upon commentary, but this commentary shall never grasp the dimensional value of experiencing the poem in its original language."

Now let's see Socionics short definition of Introverted Intuition:

All processes take place in time; they have their roots in the past and their continuation in the future. Time is the correlation between events that follow each other. This perceptual element provides information about the sequence of events and people's deeds, about their cause and effect relationship, and about participants' attitudes towards this — that is, about people's feelings that these relationships engender.

Such an individual perceives information from without as feelings about the future, past, and present. For example, a sense of hurriedness, calmness, or heatedness, a sense of timeliness or prematureness, a sense of proper or improper life rhythm, a sense of impending danger or safety, anticipation, fear of being late, a sense of seeing the future, anxiety about what lies ahead, and so forth. At any given moment of one's life one has such a sense of time. One cannot live outside of time or be indifferent toward it. Thus, a certain sense of time is an integral part of the individual's psychological state at any given moment. This perceptual element defines a person's ability or inability to forecast and plan for the future, evade all sorts of troubles, avoid taking wrong actions, and learn from past experience.

Probably the only part of which I agree with is "learn from past experience." All the "time" thing it seems bogus to me. yes, I understand that Snesors live in the present, but its not about that. I mean, Sensors don't have a sense of time, a sense of past experiences, a sense of future?

Interesting, Bergson named his philosophy "true empiricism", which can be translated as "true sensation".

"Intuition is an experience of sorts, which connects us to the things themselves in themselves. Thus he calls his philosophy the true empiricism."

Perhaps not "true empiricism", but maybe absolute empiricism, or total empiricism, like a complete and total grasp of the experience?

If Bergson definition of intuition is correct, and I think it is, than everybody uses intuition, not just the 'intuitive' types.
It also means, that by all traditional standards of criteria, intuition is not by any means irrational.

Here is a very interesting article about intuition. I feel sometimes my head explodes for so much thinking on this topic. I want to really understand the nature of intuition. I don't think its irrational, but maybe super-rational, maybe beyond reason?

Intuition: A Special Way of Knowing

How We Know Things

We know things in a number of different ways. Some things we know as a result of discoveries we make in the physical world. We use our senses to empirically test our environment. After gathering information, we draw conclusions we believe are justified by the evidence. Philosophers sometimes call this “a posteriori” knowledge. Science often employs this empirical method of learning.

Still other things we know through pure reason. We draw inferences based on cause and effect, or we draw conclusions by employing the laws of rationality. If someone offers to show you a square circle for the small charge of $2, save your money. Square circles cannot exist because the notion is contradictory. One need not look behind the curtain to know with certainty that such a claim is false. The error is self-evident; contradictory things cannot both be true. There are squares and there are circles, but there are no square circles.

Both of these methods require justification before we can be confident of the results. To demonstrate the truthfulness of a scientific theory, we cite the evidence--the experiments, the observations, the factual data--that leads us to our conclusion. A theory is either good or bad, depending upon how well it is supported by the evidence.

To prove there are no square circles, we appeal to fundamental laws of rationality, like the law of non-contradiction. To test the soundness of an argument, we examine the logical steps that lead us to our conclusion. Are there any fallacies in our line of thinking? If the premises in our argument are accurate and our reasoning is valid, then our conclusion is sound and our results must be true.

A Third Way

There’s a third way of knowing, though, that needs no such justification: intuition. In fact, this way of knowing is so foundational that justification is impossible. That’s because knowledge by intuition is not gained by following a series of facts or a line of reasoning to a conclusion. Instead, we know intuitional truth simply by the process of introspection and immediate awareness.

When I use the word “intuition,” I mean something specific. I don’t mean female intuition, or a policeman’s hunch, or an experienced stockbroker’s sense that the market is headed for a plunge. Each of these is a type of a specialized insight into a circumstance based on prior experience.

The kind of intuition I have in mind is immediate and direct, what the Encyclopedia of Philosophy describes as “immediate knowledge of the truth of a proposition, where ‘immediate’ means ‘not preceded by inference.’“ [1]

Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) was referring to this kind of knowledge when he wrote, “A truth can come into the mind in two ways, namely as known in itself, and as known through another. What is known in itself is like a principle, and is perceived immediately by the mind....It is a firm and easy quality of mind which sees into principles.” [2]

Philosophers call this kind of knowing “a priori” knowledge (literally, “from what is prior”), knowledge which one has prior to sense experience. University of Mississippi ethicist Louis Pojman gives this example: “If John is taller than Mary and Tom is taller than John, Tom is taller than Mary.” He writes:

You do not have to know John, Tom, or Mary. You don’t even have to know whether they exist or, if they do, how tall they are in order to know that this proposition is true. You need only whatever experience is necessary to understand the concepts involved, such as ‘being taller than.’ To believe this proposition a priori [i.e., know before sense experience], one need only consider it. No particular experience—perceptual, testimonial, memorial, or introspective--is necessary. [3]

Intuitional truth doesn’t require a defense—a justification of the steps that brought one to this knowledge--because this kind of truth isn’t a result of reasoning by steps to a conclusion. It’s an obvious truth that no rational person who understands the nature of the issue would deny.

Some people are uncomfortable with this notion. It seems like cheating. We have no other alternative, though. If you can’t know some things without knowing why you know them—if you don’t have some things in place to begin with—you can’t know anything at all. You can’t even begin the task of discovery.

Intuition is the way we start knowing everything. C.S. Lewis wrote, “If nothing is self-evident, nothing can be proved.”[4] There are certain things you must know immediately—directly—in order to have the tools you need to begin learning other things. The mind grasps them immediately, and all inferential knowledge flows from them.

Aristotle put it this way:

Some, indeed, demand to have the law proved, but this is because they lack education; for it shows lack of education not to know of what we should require proof, and of what we should not. For it is quite impossible that everything should have a proof; the process would go on to infinity, so there would be no proof... [5]

Aristotle’s point is that certain intuitions must anchor all other knowledge. Say, for example, I ask you how you know a certain fact. When you offer evidence, I then ask, “How do you know your evidence is reliable?” When you make your defense, I ask, “How do you know that ?” This same question could be asked again and again, resulting in Aristotle’s infinite regress.

If it’s always necessary to give a justification for everything we know, then knowledge would be impossible, because we could never answer an infinite series of questions. [6] It’s clear, though, that we do know some things without having to go through the regress. Therefore, not every bit of knowledge requires justification based on prior steps of reasoning. Eventually you’re going to be pushed back to something foundational, something you seem to have a direct awareness of and for which you need no further evidence.

I often use a classical representation of a syllogism [7] when I teach on the discipline of clear thinking. I write this major premise on the board: “All men are mortal.” Then I add the minor premise: “Socrates is a man.” Then I ask the students, “What’s next?” Their unanimous answer is, “Socrates is mortal.”

How did all of my students immediately know the conclusion of my syllogism? It logically followed from the first two premises. The ability to see that conclusions naturally follow from adequate premises is a function of intuition.

Intuitional knowledge can’t be “proved” because, on the level of intuition, no further analysis is possible. Analysis makes the complex simple, but if a thing is already simple, it cannot be broken down further. Once we understand the proposition in question, we just “see” that the thing is true. It is self-evident after a little reflection.

Basic math is another thing that can’t be proven. It’s truths are known by intuition. Someone once took me to task on this, suggesting he could scientifically prove two plus two equals four. He took two apples and put them together with two more apples to give a total of four. That was his “scientific” proof.

The math wasn’t proven in this case, though; it was simply exemplified with different tokens. A token is some physical representation—a sound, a mark of ink on a piece of paper, an object—that represents the unseen type, in this case, a number. Let me illustrate.

I could write “two plus two equals four,” or “2 + 2 = 4,” or substitute apples as my tokens instead of words or numerals. In each case, the math is demonstrated—restated with different tokens—not actually proven.

We know this to be the case because if this apple demonstration was a true scientific proof, as he attempted, then the experiment would need to be repeated to verify consistent results.

“Repeat the experiment?” one might ask. “That’s silly. There’s no need to repeat it. The outcome is obvious.” That’s my point. It’s obvious to our intuition. No scientific proof is necessary, nor is it possible.

Math is obvious because of our intuition. As long as one knows what the symbols in the equation 2 + 2 = 4 represent—the numerals and the mathematical signs—a moment’s reflection shows that the truth of the equation is self-evident. Indeed, if you disagreed, I would be at a complete loss to prove it to you. Either you see it, or you don’t.

To know something intuitively, incidentally, doesn’t always mean to know the facts automatically or inerrantly. Things like apples in groups and a person’s height are details of the external world that need to be discovered. Addition and multiplication tables need to be learned. This is generally done before a student has full grasp of the meaning of the terms themselves, a necessary precondition for intuition to be applied. Rote memory temporarily accomplishes what the understanding cannot. As time goes on and a student’s mental capacities mature, knowledge based on intuition becomes more apparent. With a little reflection, any person of reasonably sound mind can produce addition or multiplication tables on his own.

Further, errors in math may be common, but this is not a mark against intuition. It’s actually evidence for it. If there was no intuition, the errors could never be known, nor could they be rectified. Intuition serves as the source of justification for facts that, in the early stages of mental development, must be learned.

To know a thing by intuition means that the truth of the proposition is 1) immediately evident, 2) needs no further justification, and 3) is obvious once all the facts are known. Mathematical truth must be learned, but it is justified by an appeal to intuition. Those who are not capable of grasping such things are mentally handicapped, deficient in their abilities.

Plain Moral Facts

We know many things this way. Intuitional knowledge can be rational, but it can also be moral. There seem to be what G.J. Warnock called “plain moral facts,” or “moral common sense,” according to philosopher Henry Sidgwick.

An example of a plain moral fact would be, “Human beings have intrinsic value.” In the Declaration of Independence, our founding fathers referred to this truth as “self-evident.” It needed no defense because it was “self evidenced,” so to speak, with its justification coming from within, not from without. Upon this foundation they built their case for the Revolution, and we build our case for human rights.

Many of our moral rules are conclusions we come to as a result of moral reasoning. Since humans are valuable, we ought not take their lives without proper justification (“Thou shall not murder”).

Certain moral rules, though, are not conclusions we reach; they are premises we begin with. All moral reasoning must start with foundational concepts that can only be known by intuition. These are the kinds of truth that any rational person understands. That’s why one doesn’t carry the burden of proof in clear-case examples of moral truth. “People who fail to see this,” says philosopher William Lane Craig, “are just morally handicapped, and there is no reason to allow their impaired vision to call into question what we see clearly.” [8]

A person who denies obvious moral rules—who says that murder and rape are morally benign, that cruelty isn’t a vice, and that cowardice is a virtue--doesn’t merely have a different moral point of view; he has something wrong with him. If somebody says to me, “I think rape is morally acceptable,” I’m not going to “tolerantly” reflect on his alternative morality. Instead, I’m going to recommend he get help, fast.

Some will attempt to deny moral intuition. In unguarded moments, though, when an event or situation causes their intuition to rise naturally to the surface, their language gives them away.

When people’s “moral common sense” is offended, they are compelled to speak out. They readily pass moral judgment on others, condemning injustice in the courts, or attacking racist governments, for example.

Aristotle's view of intuition:

Non-Discursive Reasoning

The distinction Aristotle draws between discursive knowledge (that is, knowledge through argument) and non-discursive knowledge (that is, knowledge through nous) is akin to the medieval distinction between ratio (argument) and intellectus (direct intellection). In Aristotelian logic, non-discursive knowledge comes first and provides the starting points upon which discursive or argumentative knowledge depends. It is hard to know what to call the mental power that gives rise to this type of knowledge in English. The traditional term “intuition” invites misunderstanding. When Aristotle claims that there is an immediate sort of knowledge that comes directly from the mind (nous) without discursive argument, he is not suggesting that knowledge can be accessed through vague feelings or hunches. He is referring to a capacity for intelligent appraisal that might be better described as discernment, comprehension, or insight. Like his later medieval followers, he views “intuition” as a species of reason; it is not prior to reason or outside of reason, it is—in the highest degree—the activity of reason itself. (Cf. Posterior Analytics, II. 19; Nicomachean Ethics, IV.6.)

For Aristotle, science is only one manifestation of human intelligence. He includes, for example, intuition, craft, philosophical wisdom, and moral decision-making along with science in his account of the five intellectual virtues. (Nicomachean Ethics, VI.3-8.) When it comes to knowledge-acquisition, however, intuition is primary. It includes the most basic operations of intelligence, providing the ultimate ground of understanding and inference upon which everything else depends. Aristotle is a firm empiricist. He believes that knowledge begins in perception, but he also believes that we need intuition to make sense of perception. In the Posterior Analytics (II.19.100a3-10), Aristotle posits a sequence of steps in mental development: sense perception produces memory which (in combination with intuition) produces human experience (empeiria), which produces art and science. Through a widening movement of understanding (really, a non-discursive form of induction), intuition transforms observation and memory so as to produce knowledge (without argument). This intuitive knowledge is even more reliable than science. As Aristotle writes in key passages at the end of the Posterior Analytics, “no other kind of thought except intuition is more accurate than scientific knowledge,” and “nothing except intuition can be truer than scientific knowledge.” (100b8ff, Mure, slightly emended.)

Aristotelian intuition supplies the first principles (archai) of human knowledge: concepts, universal propositions, definitions, the laws of logic, the primary principles of the specialized science, and even moral concepts such as the various virtues. This is why, according to Aristotle, intuition must be viewed as infallible. We cannot claim that the first principles of human intelligence are dubious and then turn around and use those principles to make authoritative claims about the possibility (or impossibility) of knowledge. If we begin to doubt intuition, that is, human intelligence at its most fundamental level of operation, we will have to doubt everything else that is built upon this universal foundation: science, philosophy, knowledge, logic, inference, and so forth. Aristotle never tries to prove first principles. He acknowledges that when it comes to the origins of human thought, there is a point when one must simply stop asking questions. As he points out, any attempt at absolute proof would lead to an infinite regress. In his own words: “It is impossible that there should be demonstration of absolutely everything; there would be an infinite regress, so that there would still be no demonstration.” (Metaphysics, 1006a6ff, Ross.) Aristotle does make arguments, for example, that meaningful speech presupposes a logical axiom like the principle of non-contradiction, but that is not, strictly speaking, a proof of the principle.

Needless to say, Aristotle’s reliance on intuition has provoked a good deal of scholarly disagreement. Contemporary commentators such as Joseph Owens, G. L. Owen, and Terrence Irwin have argued that Aristotelian first principles begin in dialectic. On their influential account, we arrive at first principles through a weaker form of argument that revolves around a consideration of “endoxa,” the proverbial opinions of the many and/or the wise. Robin Smith (and others) severely criticize their account. The idea that mere opinion could somehow give rise to rigorous scientific knowledge conflicts with Aristotle’s settled view that less reliable knowledge cannot provide sufficient logical support for the more reliable knowledge. As we discuss below, endoxa do provide a starting point for dialectical (and ethical) arguments in Aristotle’s system. They are, in his mind, a potent intellectual resource, a library of stored wisdom and right opinion. They may include potent expressions of first principles already discovered by other thinkers and previous generations. But as Aristotle makes clear at the end of the Posterior Analytics and elsewhere, the recognition that something is a first principle depends directly on intuition. As he reaffirms in the Nicomachean Ethics, “it is intuitive reason that grasps the first principles.” (VI.6.1141a7, Ross.)

If Irwin and his colleagues seek to limit the role of intuition in Aristotle, authors such as Lambertus Marie de Rijk and D. W. Hamlyn go to an opposite extreme, denying the importance of the inductive syllogism and identifying induction (epagoge) exclusively with intuition. De Rijk claims that Aristotelian induction is “a pre-argumentation procedure consisting in . . . [a] disclosure [that] does not take place by a formal, discursive inference, but is, as it were, jumped upon by an intuitive act of knowledge.” (Semantics and Ontology, I.2.53, 141-2.) Although this position seems extreme, it seems indisputable that inductive syllogism depends on intuition, for without intuition (understood as intelligent discernment), one could not recognize the convertibility of subject and middle terms (discussed above). Aristotle also points out that one needs intuition to recognize the (ostensible) definitions so crucial to the practice of Aristotelian science. We must be able to discern the difference between accidental and necessary or essential properties before coming up with a definition. This can only come about through some kind of direct (non-discursive) discernment. Aristotle proposes a method for discovering definitions called division—we are to divide things into smaller and smaller sub-groups—but this method depends wholly on nous. (Cf. Posterior Analytics, II.13.) Some modern Empiricist commentators, embarrassed by such mystical-sounding doctrines, warn that this emphasis on non-discursive reasoning collapses into pure rationalism (or Platonism), but this is a caricature. What Aristotle means by rational “intuition” is not a matter of pure, disembodied thought. One does not arrive at first principles by closing one’s eyes and retreating from the world (as with Cartesian introspection). For Aristotle, first principles arise through a vigorous interaction of the empirical with the rational; a combination of rationality and sense experience produces the first seeds of human understanding.

Note that Aristotle believes that there are first principles (koinai archai) that are common to all fields of inquiry, such as the principle of non-contradiction or the law of excluded middle, and that each specialized science has its own first principles. We may recover these first principles second-hand by a (dialectical) review of authorities. Or, we can derive them first hand by analysis, by dividing the subject matter we are concerned with into its constituent parts. At the beginning of the Physics, Aristotle explains, “What is to us plain and obvious at first is rather confused masses, the elements and principles of which become known to us later by analysis. Thus we must advance from generalities to particulars; for it is a whole that is best known to sense-perception, and a generality is a kind of whole, comprehending many things within it, like parts. . . . Similarly a child begins by calling all men ‘father,’ and all women ‘mother,’ but later on distinguishes each of them.” (I.1.184a22-184b14, Hardie, Gaye.) Just as children learn to distinguish their parents from other human beings, those who successfully study a science learn to distinguish the different natural kinds that make up the whole of a scientific phenomenon. This precedes the work of induction and deduction already discussed. Once we have the parts (or the aspects), we can reason about them scientifically.

Here is Plato view on Intuition:

Since an ideal society will be ruled by those of its citizens who are most aware of what really matters, it is vital to consider how that society can best raise and educate its philosophers. Plato supposed that under the usual haphazard methods of childrearing, accidents of birth often restrict the opportunities for personal development, faulty upbringing prevents most people from achieving everything of which they are capable, and the promise of easy fame or wealth distracts some of the most able young people from the rigors of intellectual pursuits. But he believed that those with the greatest ability—that is, people with a natural disposition fit for philosophical study—must receive the best education, engaging in a regimen of mental discipline that grows more strict with every passing year of their lives.

The highest goal in all of education, Plato believed, is knowledge of the Good; that is, not merely an awareness of particular benefits and pleasures, but acquaintance with the Form itself. Just as the sun provides illumination by means of which we are able to perceive everything in the visual world, he argued, so the Form of the Good provides the ultimate standard by means of which we can apprehend the reality of everything that has value. (Republic 508e) Objects are worthwhile to the extent that they participate in this crucial form.

So, too, our apprehension of reality occurs in different degrees, depending upon the nature of the objects with which it is concerned in each case. Thus, there is a fundamental difference between the mere opinion (Gk. δοξα [dóxa]) we can have regarding the visible realm of sensible objects and the genuine knowledge (Gk. επιστημη [epistêmê]) we can have of the invisible realm of the Forms themselves. In fact, Plato held that each of these has two distinct varieties, so that we can picture the entire array of human cognition as a line divided proportionately into four segments. (Republic 509d)

At the lowest level of reality are shadows, pictures, and other images, with respect to which imagination (Gk. εικασια [eikásia]) or conjecture is the appropriate degree of awareness, although it provides only the most primitive and unreliable opinions.

The visible realm also contains ordinary physical objects, and our perception of them provides the basis for belief (Gk. πιστις [pístis]), the most accurate possible conception of the nature and relationship of temporal things.

Moving upward into the intelligible realm, we first become acquainted with the relatively simple Forms of numbers, shapes, and other mathematical entities; we can achieve systematic knowledge of these objects through a disciplined application of the understanding (Gk. διανοια [diánoia]).

Finally, at the highest level of all, are the more significant Forms—true Equality, Beauty, Truth, and of course the Good itself. These permanent objects of knowledge are directly apprehended by intuition (Gk. νοησις [nóêsis]), the fundamental capacity of human reason to comprehend the true nature of reality.