[INFJ] - I've just been accepted into UCLA, but I need help! | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] I've just been accepted into UCLA, but I need help!

Hi there!

Congrats on getting in :)

While I can't tell you what to do, have you considered which school environment itself you like better?

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I got into both UVA and UR. UVA was essentially free but I liked the environment at UR. I decided to go to UVA because of financial reasons but after some time, I decided to leave UVA because the school environment wasn't right for me and I didn't feel like I was at my best there. Now I'm working on transferring somewhere smaller (like UR) where I like the environment and I feel I can succeed in.

Finances are definitely something to consider but it's also just as important to ask yourself if you'd be happier at one place versus another. If there's one thing I learned in college, mental health and well-being can take a huge toll.

Also, as far as minors go, have you considered cognitive science? It's a mix between neuroscience, psychology, and philosophy (some schools include computer science and linguistics as well). Some schools offer majors only but I do know some places you can minor in it.

I hope this helps!

It does help. And I'll look into cognitive science. Perhaps it what I need to balance my studies in philosophy.

I believe aside from the financial worries, it really boils to down to what minor(s) I decide to take on.

Congratulations! I had a situation similar to this when I decided where to attend grad school. I wrote a list of pros and cons for each school and that list helped a lot. Maybe try that?

I definitely try that out. I'm not the kind to make pro and con lists, but now's the time to make one!

Please, if you go to either school and you're interested in psychology or counseling, please major in Social Work. It is the more practical degree. Your focus can be clinical, it's the same as giving therapy, psychotherapy. UCLA just seems like the better school. I would go there for the experience alone...but going to UCR wouldn't be bad either. To get out of school with no debt just feels good. Nothing to it. It just feels great. Anyway, you can have a greater school experience and meet some pretty smart and awesome people. I'm sure UCR has some great people, but the prestige isn't there.

All I know is, if you're interested in counseling, PLEASE, study social work and maybe even minor is psych.

That's my advice...and of course, volunteer and intern places. Do work study. Work while in school. Anything to offset the costs.

If it were me, I'd probably go to UCLA. Just cuz.

It depends on the program you want to get into, to be honest.
If the program you want to go into is better in UCLA, choose UCLA.
If it has no prestige in the department - then choose UCR.

Everyone gets into debt.

I think a lot of people tend to believe that whichever college you choose shows success.

I got into two schools - one was obviously better than the other, but I was forced to choose the lesser school because it had an amazing Nursing Program - whereas the other school didn't. I mean lesser as in one of those 65% acceptance rate colleges over a 30% one.

Anyway, it depends on your success as an individual not the school.

I didn't go to a reputable college, but I'm working among Oxford and UCLA students.