[INFJ] - I've just been accepted into UCLA, but I need help! | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] I've just been accepted into UCLA, but I need help!

Proverb

Feb 24, 2015
MBTI
xxxx
Not only have I been accepted into UCLA but I've also been accepted into UCR. However, I'm saddened because of the financial and emotional costs involved. If I choose UCLA, I'd have to take out 9k in loans every year (but it'd only be for two years as I'm coming in as a transfer), but if I choose UCR, my tuition and fees would be covered (but it would require me rejecting UCLA). I'm torn, and would like counsel from anyone willing to help me.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: ClevelandINTP
Student loan debt really sucks. But it'd be only 18k debt. I'm in close to double that.

My general recommendation is to avoid dept unless there is a clear advantage to going into it, instead of being dumb like me. With UCLA, depending on your major and what you plan to do afterward, that might be the case. UCR is UC Riverside, right?

I'm not going to tell you shit because I don't know anything about you.

Except.

Congrats on getting into some dope ass schools. That's a huge accomplishment.

Student loan debt really sucks. But it'd be only 18k debt. I'm in close to double that.

My general recommendation is to avoid dept unless there is a clear advantage to going into it, instead of being dumb like me. With UCLA, depending on your major and what you plan to do afterward, that might be the case. UCR is UC Riverside, right?

Yes: UCR is UC Riverside.

I'm a philosophy major with hopes of going into the following areas for graduate school: academia (continuing philosophy), counseling (psychology), or business (MBA, etc). While I can see myself doing more than one of the three, debt is my top concern.

Most students these days (as you already know) are 25k+ into debt. I'm only at 3500$. Solid debt level so far haha but if you have a plan, debt should be easy to manage.

I've thought about just taking out the 18k and applying for scholarships and Americorps to care for it. What do you think?

I'm not going to tell you shit because I don't know anything about you.

Except.

Congrats on getting into some dope ass schools. That's a huge accomplishment.

Lol Thanks Lone Wolf. I'm shocked I even got into one of the UC schools. But it's good to be grateful (albeit, not dumb), and hence why I'm asking people for their help. You don't have to know me to offer your thoughts. I'm not one of those people who get angry and say, "you don't know me" hahaha.

Yes: UCR is UC Riverside.

I'm a philosophy major with hopes of going into the following areas for graduate school: academia (continuing philosophy), counseling (psychology), or business (MBA, etc). While I can see myself doing more than one of the three, debt is my top concern.

Most students these days (as you already know) are 25k+ into debt. I'm only at 3500$. Solid debt level so far haha but if you have a plan, debt should be easy to manage.

I've thought about just taking out the 18k and applying for scholarships and Americorps to care for it. What do you think?

I majored in philosophy and took out about 29k in loans for it, which I feel like an idiot for doing (although, it wasn't my plan initially). I don't have any advice for counselling programs, but I'm betting that you might be able to get into one with philosophy provided you meet their prerequisites. Were you thinking social work or a ph.d. in psychology?

As for business, you can go to business school with a philosophy major, but its really difficult. It would be very worth your while to at least minor in accounting if not double majoring or switching to it (or something else that will help you out in the business world). I went into a master's of public administration program right out of undergrad, and it is working out terribly (I graduated in May). I think the advice would be the same for business, if not more so, which is that you should try to work for a couple years before getting an MBA. The philosophy degree is not that helpful for getting jobs in the business world, and you're going to want to have a good job because people will probably view the MBA as worthless without real world experience, you wont be able to get into one of the better schools without experience, and business school is very expensive. And the last thing you need is to be in a ton of debt from business school. As stupid as my MPA was, I didn't go into any additional debt for it and had two paid internships during it. An MBA is riskier, which is why they say to only go to a top school or not at all.

I know more about getting a Ph.D. in philosophy and academia, and the main thing I can say is that you have to be crazy to do it. It is what I wanted to do for a long time until I realized that I wasn't smart enough for it and couldn't handle the risks. Are you more interested in the continental or analytic track? You should start off by reading the Philosophical Gourmet Report. I can go more into detail as to why I didn't do it and what it would take to succeed at it if you want, depending on which track you're interested in doing.

I majored in philosophy and took out about 29k in loans for it, which I feel like an idiot for doing (although, it wasn't my plan initially). I don't have any advice for counselling programs, but I'm betting that you might be able to get into one with philosophy provided you meet their prerequisites. Were you thinking social work or a ph.d. in psychology?

As for business, you can go to business school with a philosophy major, but its really difficult. It would be very worth your while to at least minor in accounting if not double majoring or switching to it (or something else that will help you out in the business world). I went into a master's of public administration program right out of undergrad, and it is working out terribly (I graduated in May). I think the advice would be the same for business, if not more so, which is that you should try to work for a couple years before getting an MBA. The philosophy degree is not that helpful for getting jobs in the business world, and you're going to want to have a good job because people will probably view the MBA as worthless without real world experience, you wont be able to get into one of the better schools without experience, and business school is very expensive. And the last thing you need is to be in a ton of debt from business school. As stupid as my MPA was, I didn't go into any additional debt for it and had two paid internships during it. An MBA is riskier, which is why they say to only go to a top school or not at all.

I know more about getting a Ph.D. in philosophy and academia, and the main thing I can say is that you have to be crazy to do it. It is what I wanted to do for a long time until I realized that I wasn't smart enough for it and couldn't handle the risks. Are you more interested in the continental or analytic track? You should start off by reading the Philosophical Gourmet Report. I can go more into detail as to why I didn't do it and what it would take to succeed at it if you want, depending on which track you're interested in doing.

Wow, a fellow philosophy student. It’s always nice when I meet one. 29K is pretty huge, but it seems like you have it down, right? Should I get myself 18k in debt for a philosophy undergrad even if it’s UCLA or stick with UCR?

I’m leaning more toward counseling psychology or IO-psychology. The latter is counseling people while the latter is restructuring business organizations to make them more effective. I’m more interested in counseling than otherwise. It just makes more sense for me.

I’ll take your advice on business into consideration. Thanks.

Yes, definitely tell me about becoming a professor in philosophy. Between the two tracks, I like the continental tradition. It seems like the philosophy I fell in love with. The analytic track seems to be trying so hard to be like science (and it’s annoying, actually). While it’s done its good for philosophy, I don’t believe philosophy’s destiny lies in it.
It’d probably be important to mention I’m fascinated by the idea of applied philosophy, or at least how I understand it, applying philosophy to “real-world problems”. I’d definitely like to start my own niche in the academia on it once I excel in one of the more popular areas.

Wow, a fellow philosophy student. It’s always nice when I meet one. 29K is pretty huge, but it seems like you have it down, right? Should I get myself 18k in debt for a philosophy undergrad even if it’s UCLA or stick with UCR?

I’m leaning more toward counseling psychology or IO-psychology. The latter is counseling people while the latter is restructuring business organizations to make them more effective. I’m more interested in counseling than otherwise. It just makes more sense for me.

I’ll take your advice on business into consideration. Thanks.

Yes, definitely tell me about becoming a professor in philosophy. Between the two tracks, I like the continental tradition. It seems like the philosophy I fell in love with. The analytic track seems to be trying so hard to be like science (and it’s annoying, actually). While it’s done its good for philosophy, I don’t believe philosophy’s destiny lies in it.
It’d probably be important to mention I’m fascinated by the idea of applied philosophy, or at least how I understand it, applying philosophy to “real-world problems”. I’d definitely like to start my own niche in the academia on it once I excel in one of the more popular areas.

Not really. I still have like 33k debt (due to interest). The minimum monthly payments are about $400. That is not so bad since the interest is tax deductible because they're all federal loans, but I don't have a full time job. All the money that I make now goes toward the minimum payments. Moreover, I desperately need a large amount of money (about 20k) for other more important things over the course of the next couple of years. It will be difficult to save that money while paying the loan, assuming of course I can find a decent job. So no, I don't really have it down, and I think debt is toxic. Avoid it if you can. I don't know that the extra 18k for a philosophy degree is worth it just to go to UCLA over UCR, but then again, I don't know what their philosophy program is like. The only way I could see it as being justified is if you were sure that you wanted to do a ph.d. and you were sure that UCLA had a much better philosophy program that could potentially get you into a top philosophy ph.d. program. If you want to do anything besides a philosophy ph.d. or don't know that their philosophy undergrad program is far superior, I don't think that the money is worth it.

I know nothing about counseling psychology. From what I've heard, it tends to be that you either have to get a ph.d. or to do something like a masters in social work with an emphasis on counseling. But I haven't really looked into it.

For business school, it doesn't have to be accounting. I just wanted to stress what the business world is like. Like, think of some companies you might want to work for, and go and look at their job openings. Once upon a time, a philosophy degree could get you a job at a bank or something, but now thanks to HR departments everywhere, they want things that are very specific. It will be really difficult to get a job in the business world based on your philosophy degree alone. If I wanted to go to business school (and could do it over), I would study either accounting or engineering, get a job at a good company for 2-3 years, and then go to the best business school possible (a top 10 if possible). Other options include things like finance, marketing, and computer science (though apparently a lot of people are regretting doing comp sci/IT lately). However, since you're in CA and could probably go to the silicon valley area, you might be able to find something, and I would think that a comp sci degree with an MBA from that area would be valuable. Again, this is another thing where I don't 100% know what I'm talking about since I basically did the public sector counterpart, but there are some similarities I think (like people thinking the degree is worthless without real world experience). I suppose it might be possible to go directly to an MBA program and make out okay. It would be more difficult though, and it would really suck to go into a massive amount of debt if you don't end up with a high paying job to justify the expense.

For the continental tradition, you'll need to know a language: french, german, latin, greek, or maybe italian. Don't get suckered in by thinking you're smart. Everyone who goes to a philosophy ph.d. program is smart. They were all the best philosophy student at their college. The programs are more selective than their medical and law counterparts at each school. Practical considerations are the issue. Somewhere, there is a blog by a professor at UCR talking about getting a ph.d. in philosophy. I found it. Read all of this: http://schwitzsplintersunderblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/applying-to-phd-programs-in-philosophy.html

http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/

^Read that too.

So basically, here is why I didn't do it. First, I don't know a language and suck at them. Second, my GPA was a bit too low. I had a 3.8 GPA with an honors distinction in philosophy, but I did get some B grades in philosophy courses that were inexcusable. The main reason was that I was too depressed to get out of bed some days in college, but whatever. So you need a stellar GPA and mostly or probably all As in your philosophy classes. Third, and here is the biggest issue, is that your chances of making it into academia are horrible. If you look at the faculty of any philosophy department at any college, they come primarily from very particular places like Oxford, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, NYU, Pitt, and other top programs. If you want to get a job, you need to be at one of those top programs, which is really difficult. Otherwise, it gets quite difficult. The issue is that there are more philosophy ph.d. holders than jobs available, like more than double the amount needed are produced for the amount of jobs available. Recidivism rates are very high as well. So most people don't make it through their philosophy ph.d. programs (less than half in some programs), and of those that do, less than half ever find a job in academia. For each position, there are like 100-200+ applications, all from people with philosophy ph.d.s. That's because as more people get the degree, it just gets worse each year (because the number of jobs is not growing very much). So basically, unless you're incredible beyond belief, you sort of have to be at peace with the fact that, after having spent 5+ years on your ph.d., you might never find a job.

The analytic track is very concerned with science. I don't know much about it, but I know that to excel at it, it is probably best to study science, math, linguistics, or something in that domain. I don't think those are formal requirements. I don't know what the formal requirements are.

What kind of applied philosophy? Like applied ethics?

I'm not one of those people who get angry and say, "you don't know me" hahaha.

I hate those kinds of people.

=)

I don't know how well you handle stress. For some people 18k ain't shit. For others, they lose all hope in life and feel like suicide is the only way out. People deal with stress levels (and debt levels) in very very different ways. So I think the answer lies within, I don't know you well enough to answer this question for you. And I'm afraid any answer I give may steer you away from listening to yourself. But these are my thoughts I was hesitant to contribute.

Do you have career goals? Have you found a career path? What do you hope to gain from college?

These are all questions you need to consider deeply. And I often find that young people will ask for other peoples opinions and get pulled in all these directions and lose vision of what is truly important to them. I just hope you make the decision that will bring you the most happiness during and after college.

Congratulations. A great accomplishment indeed.

I don't know what you're seeking in a college degree, but, if I were in your shoes, I would consider studying philosophy on the side/in your own time and majoring in a field that will provide you with more financial security, that you may have the freedom and resources later to do as you wish. As @Dragon has said, careers in philosophy are very difficult to acquire. Education is a weighty investment and should ideally pay itself back over time. Learning for the sake of learning can mostly be had at a library and other media.

I don't know what you're seeking in a college degree, but, if I were in your shoes, I would consider studying philosophy on the side/in your own time and majoring in a field that will provide you with more financial security, that you may have the freedom and resources later to do as you wish. As @Dragon has said, careers in philosophy are very difficult to acquire. Education is a weighty investment and should ideally pay itself back over time. Learning for the sake of learning can mostly be had at a library and other media.

This sort of irks me. On one hand, I do vote for majoring in a field that will provide more financial security, especially if you're not going for an advanced degree; however, I don't think it is really possible to educate oneself in philosophy via libraries and general media. That is essentially what I attempted for years during high school, but ultimately philosophy is not something you learn so much as something you do. The libraries and self-learning were insufficient. Think of it as a type of intellectual weight lifting. You need to actually discuss with others, spend a massive amount of time thinking and working through problems, writing, training in formal logic, and in general let it consume in a way that you're not learning material to regurgitate on an exam paper. A large chunk of what you learn in philosophy is nonsensical, but what you're really gaining is the ability to think (and I suppose make yourself miserable through all that thinking). So I would even go so far to say that you can't really do it if the school you go to has too many students in its philosophy classes. All my upper level philosophy courses had like ten people or less and were heavily discussion based. At some schools, even the upper level classes are just lectures with little to no participation from the students, which would be like watching people lift weights at a gym as opposed to lifting them yourself.

The real issue is that HR departments and people in general view philosophy as worthless because their understanding of education has nothing to do with being educated. I mean, studying philosophy was great for me being educated, but it is terrible for jobs since there is a stigma attached to the degree due to the view of college as being purely vocational. I just wanted to make the point that by only majoring in accounting or something, you are giving something up by not studying philosophy.

Now, it is possible to defend a philosophy degree vocationally as well. The data that I've seen suggests that philosophy majors earn about as much as accounting majors on average, which I guess makes since because very few people just get a philosophy degree and then get a job. When I do get another job, I'm assuming my career trajectory will be comparable to all the economics majors that were in my graduate program (assuming they don't fire me for growing boobs). But philosophy majors do perform well on the GMAT, LSAT, and MCAT. Like, all the ones I know either went to medical school, law school, or doubled in computer science and went into IT consulting type jobs. So if you're going to put something valuable on top of it, it probably doesn't matter. Like, I was headed for law school before I realized how much I would hate it. It just seems to be the case that, with certain degrees like mine, you do need to rely on the strength of your undergraduate degree, which is a pain because of the stigma against philosophy.

Also, don't go to law school. Law school is evil.

/endrant

This sort of irks me. On one hand, I do vote for majoring in a field that will provide more financial security, especially if you're not going for an advanced degree; however, I don't think it is really possible to educate oneself in philosophy via libraries and general media. That is essentially what I attempted for years during high school, but ultimately philosophy is not something you learn so much as something you do. The libraries and self-learning were insufficient. Think of it as a type of intellectual weight lifting. You need to actually discuss with others, spend a massive amount of time thinking and working through problems, writing, training in formal logic, and in general let it consume in a way that you're not learning material to regurgitate on an exam paper. A large chunk of what you learn in philosophy is nonsensical, but what you're really gaining is the ability to think (and I suppose make yourself miserable through all that thinking). So I would even go so far to say that you can't really do it if the school you go to has too many students in its philosophy classes. All my upper level philosophy courses had like ten people or less and were heavily discussion based. At some schools, even the upper level classes are just lectures with little to no participation from the students, which would be like watching people lift weights at a gym as opposed to lifting them yourself.

The real issue is that HR departments and people in general view philosophy as worthless because their understanding of education has nothing to do with being educated. I mean, studying philosophy was great for me being educated, but it is terrible for jobs since there is a stigma attached to the degree due to the view of college as being purely vocational. I just wanted to make the point that by only majoring in accounting or something, you are giving something up by not studying philosophy.

Now, it is possible to defend a philosophy degree vocationally as well. The data that I've seen suggests that philosophy majors earn about as much as accounting majors on average, which I guess makes since because very few people just get a philosophy degree and then get a job. When I do get another job, I'm assuming my career trajectory will be comparable to all the economics majors that were in my graduate program (assuming they don't fire me for growing boobs). But philosophy majors do perform well on the GMAT, LSAT, and MCAT. Like, all the ones I know either went to medical school, law school, or doubled in computer science and went into IT consulting type jobs. So if you're going to put something valuable on top of it, it probably doesn't matter. Like, I was headed for law school before I realized how much I would hate it. It just seems to be the case that, with certain degrees like mine, you do need to rely on the strength of your undergraduate degree, which is a pain because of the stigma against philosophy.

Also, don't go to law school. Law school is evil.

/endrant

Sore spot, eh? I certainly didn't mean to insult the value of philosophy or of studying it formally. I love the subject myself, and would study it more had I the time; the stigma of philosophy being "useless" or "impractical" is ridiculous. There have been a series of studies from the UK which found that in times of economic growth, businesses and governments actively sought people with philosophical backgrounds because of the associated skills and ability to reformat the way we conceptualize issues. I mostly suggested he consider alternative tracks because of the financial concerns he raised at the beginning of the thread. In addition to libraries, free online courses, and Google documents, there are also, I believe, national societies and clubs which could also serve as a hub for discussion and critical thought, but I could be outdated on that information.

Not really. I still have like 33k debt (due to interest). The minimum monthly payments are about $400. That is not so bad since the interest is tax deductible because they're all federal loans, but I don't have a full time job. All the money that I make now goes toward the minimum payments. Moreover, I desperately need a large amount of money (about 20k) for other more important things over the course of the next couple of years. It will be difficult to save that money while paying the loan, assuming of course I can find a decent job. So no, I don't really have it down, and I think debt is toxic. Avoid it if you can. I don't know that the extra 18k for a philosophy degree is worth it just to go to UCLA over UCR, but then again, I don't know what their philosophy program is like. The only way I could see it as being justified is if you were sure that you wanted to do a ph.d. and you were sure that UCLA had a much better philosophy program that could potentially get you into a top philosophy ph.d. program. If you want to do anything besides a philosophy ph.d. or don't know that their philosophy undergrad program is far superior, I don't think that the money is worth it.

I know nothing about counseling psychology. From what I've heard, it tends to be that you either have to get a ph.d. or to do something like a masters in social work with an emphasis on counseling. But I haven't really looked into it.

For business school, it doesn't have to be accounting. I just wanted to stress what the business world is like. Like, think of some companies you might want to work for, and go and look at their job openings. Once upon a time, a philosophy degree could get you a job at a bank or something, but now thanks to HR departments everywhere, they want things that are very specific. It will be really difficult to get a job in the business world based on your philosophy degree alone. If I wanted to go to business school (and could do it over), I would study either accounting or engineering, get a job at a good company for 2-3 years, and then go to the best business school possible (a top 10 if possible). Other options include things like finance, marketing, and computer science (though apparently a lot of people are regretting doing comp sci/IT lately). However, since you're in CA and could probably go to the silicon valley area, you might be able to find something, and I would think that a comp sci degree with an MBA from that area would be valuable. Again, this is another thing where I don't 100% know what I'm talking about since I basically did the public sector counterpart, but there are some similarities I think (like people thinking the degree is worthless without real world experience). I suppose it might be possible to go directly to an MBA program and make out okay. It would be more difficult though, and it would really suck to go into a massive amount of debt if you don't end up with a high paying job to justify the expense.

For the continental tradition, you'll need to know a language: french, german, latin, greek, or maybe italian. Don't get suckered in by thinking you're smart. Everyone who goes to a philosophy ph.d. program is smart. They were all the best philosophy student at their college. The programs are more selective than their medical and law counterparts at each school. Practical considerations are the issue. Somewhere, there is a blog by a professor at UCR talking about getting a ph.d. in philosophy. I found it. Read all of this: http://schwitzsplintersunderblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/applying-to-phd-programs-in-philosophy.html

http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/

^Read that too.

So basically, here is why I didn't do it. First, I don't know a language and suck at them. Second, my GPA was a bit too low. I had a 3.8 GPA with an honors distinction in philosophy, but I did get some B grades in philosophy courses that were inexcusable. The main reason was that I was too depressed to get out of bed some days in college, but whatever. So you need a stellar GPA and mostly or probably all As in your philosophy classes. Third, and here is the biggest issue, is that your chances of making it into academia are horrible. If you look at the faculty of any philosophy department at any college, they come primarily from very particular places like Oxford, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, NYU, Pitt, and other top programs. If you want to get a job, you need to be at one of those top programs, which is really difficult. Otherwise, it gets quite difficult. The issue is that there are more philosophy ph.d. holders than jobs available, like more than double the amount needed are produced for the amount of jobs available. Recidivism rates are very high as well. So most people don't make it through their philosophy ph.d. programs (less than half in some programs), and of those that do, less than half ever find a job in academia. For each position, there are like 100-200+ applications, all from people with philosophy ph.d.s. That's because as more people get the degree, it just gets worse each year (because the number of jobs is not growing very much). So basically, unless you're incredible beyond belief, you sort of have to be at peace with the fact that, after having spent 5+ years on your ph.d., you might never find a job.

The analytic track is very concerned with science. I don't know much about it, but I know that to excel at it, it is probably best to study science, math, linguistics, or something in that domain. I don't think those are formal requirements. I don't know what the formal requirements are.

What kind of applied philosophy? Like applied ethics?

From what I’ve seen in both programs, UCR is pluralistic while UCLA is focused on the analytic tradition. The latter also has more course offerings than the former.
As for being sure, quite honestly, I just want a PhD to both full and formally train my skills in philosophy. While I’d love to teach as well, I see the academia more so as a haven than an end. Perhaps that’s a red flag, some would say, for me not to pursue a PhD in philosophy.

I have really no interest in learning another language unless I can see myself using it often, and outside of the academia. Like Spanish, for example, for being an incredibly useful language in California. An Asian or Arabic language would seem better as well.
And don’t worry about me thinking I’m smarter or a genius. Thank the Lord that I learned so before starting college hahaha we all have a particular and unique potential.

A 3.8 with honors in philosophy was too low? I thought the graduate schools would be more substance-orientated or holistic in comparison to the undergraduate academia.
And like you, I have depression as well (albeit its mild and I’m recovering from it). Depression kills motivation, and pretty much makes classes that would otherwise be enjoyable, terrible.

And I remember those statistics about job growth along with the horrors of pursuing a PhD haha do you think I should pursue a minor then? I only have two years, and I doubt I have the prerequisites or time to double major.

And by applied philosophy, yes, something like applied ethics but not restricted to ethics. I simply adore the idea of being philosophy being practical and able to contribute to the world beyond the academia without becoming science.

What minors would you suggest for someone like me, considering what I've posted? Don't worry, I don't mind educated guesses :)

I hate those kinds of people.

=)

I don't know how well you handle stress. For some people 18k ain't shit. For others, they lose all hope in life and feel like suicide is the only way out. People deal with stress levels (and debt levels) in very very different ways. So I think the answer lies within, I don't know you well enough to answer this question for you. And I'm afraid any answer I give may steer you away from listening to yourself. But these are my thoughts I was hesitant to contribute.

Do you have career goals? Have you found a career path? What do you hope to gain from college?

These are all questions you need to consider deeply. And I often find that young people will ask for other peoples opinions and get pulled in all these directions and lose vision of what is truly important to them. I just hope you make the decision that will bring you the most happiness during and after college.

I'm that crazy guy who can go to sleep in peace with 18k haha but I'm only asking the question as I know it isn't wise to just take out 18k with the opportunity to attend another school for free is available (along with everything else I've said about this decision/problem of mine).

As for career goals, nothing too specific but I'd like to be a mentor and tutor. A guide for people in other words. As for what I would tutor others in, preferably something related to philosophy. Think rhetoric, grammar, logic, and so forth. Topics to sharpen others. I'm also the kind of person who sees a career as a kind of travel through various jobs, etc. I can't really see myself staying in one place for too long (unless I need to do so).
I lack specifics mostly because I see the world as to chaotic to predict. One can assume this or that with some accuracy but never too surely to be fully right. But that's more common sense than me.

As for what I want from college, a degree, connections, and good opportunities afterwards. Typical wants haha if I were to desire something more specific, a solid study experience. I believe career opportunities come with any good school (which UCLA and UCR already are).

Any minors you would suggest for me considering all I've posted in this thread? Like I told another person, educated guesses are fine.

Hi there!

Congrats on getting in :)

While I can't tell you what to do, have you considered which school environment itself you like better?

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I got into both UVA and UR. UVA was essentially free but I liked the environment at UR. I decided to go to UVA because of financial reasons but after some time, I decided to leave UVA because the school environment wasn't right for me and I didn't feel like I was at my best there. Now I'm working on transferring somewhere smaller (like UR) where I like the environment and I feel I can succeed in.

Finances are definitely something to consider but it's also just as important to ask yourself if you'd be happier at one place versus another. If there's one thing I learned in college, mental health and well-being can take a huge toll.

Also, as far as minors go, have you considered cognitive science? It's a mix between neuroscience, psychology, and philosophy (some schools include computer science and linguistics as well). Some schools offer majors only but I do know some places you can minor in it.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: endersgone
Congratulations! I had a situation similar to this when I decided where to attend grad school. I wrote a list of pros and cons for each school and that list helped a lot. Maybe try that?