Islam - A religion of peace? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Islam - A religion of peace?

How so? Technician effectively means the same as craftsman yet holds closer to the etymological roots of tekton.

Is it the more specified manner in which it tends to be used with technology or technical sciences rather than the broader meaning of any technical skills?

Tecton leans towards building

Architect= archi-tecton

This had specific ressonance at the time due to the building of the temple in jerusalem etc

Tecton leans towards building

Architect= archi-tecton

Yes, muir, an architect is indeed included. That is not the only derivative though.

technique (n.) 1817, at first especially in criticism of art and music, from French technique "formal practical details in artistic expression" (18c.), noun use of technique (adj.) "of art, technical," from Greek tekhnikos "pertaining to art," from tekhne "art, skill, craft in work" (see techno-).

techno- word-forming element meaning "art, craft, skill," later "technical, technology," from Latinized form of Greek tekhno-, combining form of tekhne "art, skill, craft in work; method, system, an art, a system or method of making or doing," from PIE *teks-na- "craft" (of weaving or fabricating), from suffixed form of root *teks- "to weave, fabricate, make" (cognates: Sanskrit taksan "carpenter," Greek tekton "carpenter," Latin texere "to weave;" see texture (n.)).

texture (n.) early 15c., "network, structure," from Middle French texture and directly from Latin textura "web, texture, structure," from stem of texere "to weave," from PIE root *teks- "to weave, to fabricate, to make; make wicker or wattle framework" (cognates: Sanskrit taksati "he fashions, constructs," taksan "carpenter;" Avestan taša "ax, hatchet," thwaxš- "be busy;" Old Persian taxš- "be active;" Latin tela "web, net, warp of a fabric;" Greek tekton "carpenter," tekhne "art;" Old Church Slavonic tesla "ax, hatchet;" Lithuanian tasau "to carve;" Old Irish tal "cooper's ax;" Old High German dahs, German Dachs "badger," literally "builder;" Hittite taksh- "to join, unite, build"). Meaning "structural character" is recorded from 1650s. Related: Textural.

The written word is also related by 'text'.

Yes, muir, an architect is indeed included. That is not the only derivative though.

technique (n.) 1817, at first especially in criticism of art and music, from French technique "formal practical details in artistic expression" (18c.), noun use of technique (adj.) "of art, technical," from Greek tekhnikos "pertaining to art," from tekhne "art, skill, craft in work" (see techno-).

techno- word-forming element meaning "art, craft, skill," later "technical, technology," from Latinized form of Greek tekhno-, combining form of tekhne "art, skill, craft in work; method, system, an art, a system or method of making or doing," from PIE *teks-na- "craft" (of weaving or fabricating), from suffixed form of root *teks- "to weave, fabricate, make" (cognates: Sanskrit taksan "carpenter," Greek tekton "carpenter," Latin texere "to weave;" see texture (n.)).

texture (n.) early 15c., "network, structure," from Middle French texture and directly from Latin textura "web, texture, structure," from stem of texere "to weave," from PIE root *teks- "to weave, to fabricate, to make; make wicker or wattle framework" (cognates: Sanskrit taksati "he fashions, constructs," taksan "carpenter;" Avestan taša "ax, hatchet," thwaxš- "be busy;" Old Persian taxš- "be active;" Latin tela "web, net, warp of a fabric;" Greek tekton "carpenter," tekhne "art;" Old Church Slavonic tesla "ax, hatchet;" Lithuanian tasau "to carve;" Old Irish tal "cooper's ax;" Old High German dahs, German Dachs "badger," literally "builder;" Hittite taksh- "to join, unite, build"). Meaning "structural character" is recorded from 1650s. Related: Textural.

The written word is also related by 'text'.

Etymology is a good piece of the puzzle

Now put it in context

Could it be that the story of jesus is a spiritual road map?

The finale being ascension to a higher state of consciousness

The crucifiction is symbolic of man (us) being hung on the cross of matter in this material realm

'Death' and burial is a spiritual purging of all that is no longer important....a cleansing, a processing of all fears, hang ups and unresolved emotional issues, to be reborn anew as a whole, complete and integrated person? A person who sees the illusion of the world of matter for what it is and becomes one with the greater reality....a reality where an ego driven sense of seperateness dissolves into cosmic consciousness?

Atonement...at-one-ment

It's our journey....a journey of constant change, rebirth and eventually death leading to the next journey

Last edited:
I listened to a great piece on the radio today about a book called religion and race or something like that which was investigating the rise of "islamophobia" as a phenomenon, there was an islamic scholar who was actually opposing the book's perspective, saying that the idea of describing opposition as "phobic" was dismissive, making it appear like all opposition was irrational opposition, making critical or rational opposition impossible. Now he said that the special player at this idea had been the Israelis and how they had effectively neutralised all critical opinions through their labelling as anti-semitic and Jewish criticism as "self-hating jewry".

I appreciate he was an islamic scholar and they were dealing with the middle east so there was a context but it made me think, this is actually how the term homophobic has practically worked, its how the agitators who attack anything short of uncritical validation and promotion of homosexuality actually behave, although I think its not totally thought out or deliberate.

While there's reasons to be short term pessimist about all these culture clashes, because I do think they'll get worse before they get better, I think there's possible reaons to be long term optimistic, once the similarity between them all is discovered and things like emoting etc. can be weeded out there'll be a society better able to deal with difference and minority-majority relations/expectations appropriately regardless of who the minorities and majorities are.

I listened to a great piece on the radio today about a book called religion and race or something like that which was investigating the rise of "islamophobia" as a phenomenon, there was an islamic scholar who was actually opposing the book's perspective, saying that the idea of describing opposition as "phobic" was dismissive, making it appear like all opposition was irrational opposition, making critical or rational opposition impossible. Now he said that the special player at this idea had been the Israelis and how they had effectively neutralised all critical opinions through their labelling as anti-semitic and Jewish criticism as "self-hating jewry".

I appreciate he was an islamic scholar and they were dealing with the middle east so there was a context but it made me think, this is actually how the term homophobic has practically worked, its how the agitators who attack anything short of uncritical validation and promotion of homosexuality actually behave, although I think its not totally thought out or deliberate.

While there's reasons to be short term pessimist about all these culture clashes, because I do think they'll get worse before they get better, I think there's possible reaons to be long term optimistic, once the similarity between them all is discovered and things like emoting etc. can be weeded out there'll be a society better able to deal with difference and minority-majority relations/expectations appropriately regardless of who the minorities and majorities are.

It has been the policy of the zionist propaganda arm the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) to scream from every roof top 'ANTI-SEMITE' anytime any individual has had the temerity to question the direction of the state of Israel or the nature of zionism itself

You might think this would create a problem when the critic of israeli policy is themself jewish but no...they use the same approach but they change the term; a jewish critic of israeli policy or zionism is a 'SELF HATING JEW'

The fact that the term ''semitic'' actually encompasses a lot of different peoples including arabs doesn't seem to phase the zionists who have no problem committing what that famous self hating jew Noam Chomksy would call ''an abuse of language''

Personally i'm always struck by the similarity of the word 'nazism' to the word 'zionism'...surely just a lingustic quirk...

Last edited:
A fisherman is going to have good hand eye coordination; they are practical people and used to working with their hands

he is probably well practiced at gutting fish and chopping their heads off. To screw up as monumentally as you suggest Peter did is in my opinion unlikely.

Also i'm not sure the fishermen were really fishermen; i believe they were fishing for souls. They were recruiters to Jesus's spiritual system

jesus also was not, imo, a carpenter but a 'tecton' which is a worker of stone...a temple builder. I don't mean that he literally was building temples but rather that he helped people build their own spiritual temples

He would take a person who was a spiritually lost soul and he would guide them and mould them like a stoneworker takes a rough block of stone and works it into a useful piece of shaped ashlar

Each finished stone formed part of a larger temple which was the wider spiritual community which Jesus was a part of

Your pretty close on some parts, Jesus was most likely not a Carpenter, Mason worker isn't a proper translation either. the word your using in the Greek is τέκτων. That's Tekton in English, which is means Artisian/Craftsman, which all that tells us is that he worked materials to create things. Jesus could have been a potter or a basket weaver or any other number of things, the point in Mark 6 that's being made is that the people Jesus was preaching to knew him and his family, they saw his as just another guy.

I like to think of his as a potter if for no other reason then God is constantly referred to as a potter who molds people out of clay.

As for Peter, thing is, Peter was a passionate individual prone to acting without thinking and even though I'm sure he had little trouble filleting a fish, a broadsword isn't filleting knife and I doubt Jesus had them on a regular raining regimen.........

I wrote out most of this comment before I realized Magister had beat me to it... that makes me little sad... and a little happy.

Edit: All we really know is Jesus built things, it's really not something to fight over, Jesus could have just as easily if not more easily been a stonemason then carpenter since stone would have been a resource more easily acquired and used in construction compared to wood at the time.

Perhaps it's just me and I'm reading hostility into these comments where there is none, but if I'm right just take a moment to examine what and why your saying the things your saying before you post.

Last edited:
Your pretty close on some parts, Jesus was most likely not a Carpenter, Mason worker isn't a proper translation either. the word your using in the Greek is τέκτων. That's Tekton in English, which is means Artisian/Craftsman, which all that tells us is that he worked materials to create things. Jesus could have been a potter or a basket weaver or any other number of things, the point in Mark 6 that's being made is that the people Jesus was preaching to knew him and his family, they saw his as just another guy.

I like to think of his as a potter if for no other reason then God is constantly referred to as a potter who molds people out of clay.

As for Peter, thing is, Peter was a passionate individual prone to acting without thinking and even though I'm sure he had little trouble filleting a fish, a broadsword isn't filleting knife and I doubt Jesus had them on a regular raining regimen.........

I wrote out most of this comment before I realized Magister had beat me to it... that makes me little sad... and a little happy.

Edit: All we really know is Jesus built things, it's really not something to fight over, Jesus could have just as easily if not more easily been a stonemason then carpenter since stone would have been a resource more easily acquired and used in construction compared to wood at the time.

Perhaps it's just me and I'm reading hostility into these comments where there is none, but if I'm right just take a moment to examine what and why your saying the things your saying before you post.

Jesus was astounding his local priests in debates even as a boy

This is because he was privy to knowledge they weren't

A potter might come to enlightenemnt through the moulding of pots but it is my belief that Jesus had non dualist knowledge gained from the sect he was a part of which his relative John the baptist was also a member of

This sect used metaphor as part of their religious teachings. They used it to impact the conscious and unconscious mind hence the parables

Jesus was a religious teacher. His sect saw themselves as part of a lineage transmitting knowledge down through the generations

For some reason Jesus broke cover and took the teachings to the masses. This was likely not sanctioned by his sect which is why there was some tension with his family at one point; he knew the dangers of this because he had seen John beheaded for making himself known to the authorities who did not like the esoteric teachings reaching mass audiences

The elite have always kept the masses in ignorance. This is why there are layers to the temple. Only the priests can enter and only the high priest can enter the inner chamber, the 'holy of holies', at certain times of the year. before the temple was built on the mount the same effect was created in the desert using tents and cloth walls.

This creation of mystery and secrets has a powerful effect on people. It creates a social strata as those that are privy to the secrets have authority whislt those that are not privy to the secrets are disempowered.

This is the psychology of dominance and it was learned in Egypt and Babylon

By sharing the secrets with the masses Jesus was undermining the psychology of dominance which is the glue that binds the social strata together. This made him an enemy of the state because he became a direct threat to the authority of the power elite

Jesus was essentially a leveller

He also saw how the money changers held a monopoly on the temple half shekel which was the only currency permitted within the temple. This was flagrant opportunism by the money changers who exploited those visiting the temple by charging people more and more for the half shekels they needed to buy offerings in the temple complex. It was a con and Jesus knew it so he exposed it.

Jesus was taking power from the authorities and giving it to the people which is why he was murdered by the authorities. he would have held no illusions about the price he would pay for his actions because he had seen John murdered before him. This is why he got his followers to get swords and why they kept on the move; they were trying to stay one step ahead of the authorities but inevitably it was a suicide mission. No doubt he intended to get the message out to as many people as possible before they shut him down

The beheading of John was probably intended to convey a message to jesus and his sect not to challenge the authority of the power elite. However this clearly did not have the desired effect of intimidation on Jesus and his followers and it most likely just spurred them on by radicalising them enough to go on the war path

Sub text: ''go and get some swords, we are going to shake the foundations of this system to its core''

The intent was never to get people to sit around in churches reciting words from a book....that is just empty ritual. What matters is the spirit of the thing. And the spirit of jesus's mission was to challenge authority and to empower the masses...he was a big time trouble maker!

Sitting around in churches being institutionalised by priests is what the authorities want people to do...it is not in the spirit of the mission. This is why the masses were kept illiterate for so long and why only the priests were allowed to read the bible because it keeps the masses disempowered and the authorities empowered.....secrets...the power of secrets.....the psychology of control, of dominance

If jesus was reborn in that period i have no doubt he would be organising underground secret schools teaching people to read so that they could read the bible for themselves

So in response to his challenge the authorities beat him and crucified him and got him to carry his own cross to remind him and everyone else who was calling the shots. The power elite only know one language: the language of control, but their attempts to intimdate will not wash with everyone. In fact for some it will have the opposite effect

This is why everytime the US drone strikes a village they will not cow all the people and in fact they will create new enemies with the resolve to act and speak out

Last edited: