Is Nirvana's "Polly" misogynistic? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Is Nirvana's "Polly" misogynistic?

I guess I should add emojis.
I'm confident, I just know that I'm not my best self. Just being honest.
It’s okay @Pin. I’m a mean INFJ. Also I was testing your ETNJness.

Reactions: Free
Oh yeah! Pressure makes diamonds.
E7fGEwH.gif

I hope it is cuz that would make it cooler than a dumb song about a bird

Okay.
Better?

Beyonce lives in a magical land called "incapable of wrongdoing" lol

Beyonce seems like a royal bitch to me. Like a female Kanye West. She was low-hanging fruit.

Right now, the media, entertainers, politicians, etc., are all badly off the mark in my eyes. I have never scorned every side. It's unpleasant.

Music isn't bad, it's just not a comprehensive enough platform to elaborate or express nuance. At least, popular music.

If you can sell this ^, I will do something nice. /weak

I'm not a fan of this body-positivity movement. Frankly, I think it's a race to the bottom.

I just think it's doing more damage. Models lecturing about body-positivity. That's stupid.

Stop fat shaming yourself.

I thought he was in the Marines?

Well, I can always be stronger... look better.

Are you an N? Really?

More responses coming...

Reactions: Free and Wyote
Reactions: Free and Lurk
Reactions: Free and Lurk
An important thing to realize is that a lot of Cobain's songs are from the perspective of a narrator.

Yes, it's almost certainly intentionally misogynistic, or at least the narrator is in a position of power over a weaker/struggling being, a common motif in several Nirvana songs ("Floyd the Barber" and "Verse Chorus Verse" come to mind).

Kurt Cobain marketed himself as an idealized version of himself, like many rockstars do. He wanted to be seen as a carefree, angsty and possibly out-of-control artist. There's enough evidence, however, that he was a hard-working perfectionist, and he was intelligent enough to write his songs from perspectives that represented the horrors in our world that he struggled to live with, and he frequently employed a third-person viewpoint to do so.

Anything that I've heard from Nirvana that seemed extremely overt also comes off as sarcastic upon further analysis/inspection... Great band!

Reactions: Fidicen and Free
Also, IIRC, this song is based on some sort of child murder back in the day...

Reactions: Free
The lyrics are disturbing but the song itself isn’t misogynistic in that it’s not endorsing or promoting either character’s role in terms of actions or gender. Writing a song about a predator doesn’t necessarily make the song endorse a predatory mindset. Our own interpretations of the work may be influenced by misogyny as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Happy Phantom