Is Nirvana's "Polly" misogynistic?

Lurk

[ what ]
Jan 13, 2017
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
6,9 & 4

Women (and Men Other than Trump), do the lyrics viscerally disturb you?

How does context influence your reaction?

"Polly" ~ Nirvana

Polly wants a cracker
I think I should get off her first
I think she wants some water
To put out the blow torch
It isn't me
We have some seed
Let me clip
Your dirty wings
Let me take a ride
Don't cut yourself
I want some help
To please myself
I've got some rope
You have been told
I promise you
I have been true
Let me take a ride
Don't cut yourself
I want some help
To please myself
Polly wants a cracker
Maybe she would like some food
She asks me to untie her
A chase would be nice for a few
It isn't me
We have some seed
Let me clip
Your dirty wings
Let me take a ride
Don't cut yourself
I want some help
To please myself
I've got some rope
You have been told
I promise you
I have been true
Let me take a ride
Don't cut yourself
I want some help
To please myself
Polly said
Polly says her back hurts
And she's just as bored as me
She caught me off my guard
It amazes me, the will of instinct
It isn't me
We have some seed
Let me clip
Your dirty wings
Let me take a ride
Don't cut yourself
I want some help
To please myself
I've got some rope
You have been told
I promise you
I have been true
Let me take a ride
Don't cut yourself
I want some help
To please myself

Songwriters: Kurt Cobain

https://www.google.com/search?q=pol...0j69i57j0l4.5274j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Reactions: Free
No. It's important.

The song addresses difficult subject matter that should be discussed.

Still, I don't think that music is always the appropriate forum for discussions like this.

Last edited:
The Story Behind ‘Polly’ By Nirvana
By
Lotte Vanaeken
-
August 18, 2017

When Nirvana released its classic album Nevermind, who would have thought the songs would still be popular more than 25 years later? Nirvana wrote some pretty dark songs over the years, but nothing as dark as the story behind ‘Polly’. A horrible event took place exactly 30 years ago.

Nevermind
nirvana-nevermind-300x300.jpg
‘Polly’ is the sixth song on Nirvana’s most succesful album Nevermind. However, Cobain had already written the song in 1988. So why wasn’t is on their debutalbum Bleachwhich was released in 1989? Reportedly, the song was left out because it wasn’t consistent with the sound of the band at that time. Bleach is a much more heavy grunge album than its successor. The song was originally named ‘Hitchhiker‘ which was later changed to ‘Cracker‘, but the final album version became ‘Polly’.

Based On A Horrible Event
artikel-1987-1024x331.jpg
Kurt Cobain wrote this song in response to something he read in the newspaper in June 1987. A 14-year-old girl went missing after going to a rock concert. She had accepted a ride home from a 49-year-old man called Gerald Friend. Instead of getting the girl home safe, Gerald Friend repeatedly raped and tortured her. Fortunately, the girl could escape by jumping of his truck when they stopped at a gasstation. Gerald Friend was stopped by the police a couple of days later for a traffic violation. The deputies recognised him and Friend was arrested. In August 1987, about 30 years ago, Gerald Friend was convicted of first-degree kidnapping and rape.Many deputies still can’t believe why Gerald Friend was a free man at the time. He had been convicted of rape and torture in 1960 and was sentenced to 75 years in prison. However, after serving 20 years and escaping twice, he got out on parole.

Critics On Polly

Nirvana got a lot of critisism for writing about such horrible events. Some argued that by making a song (that turned out to become popular), it seemed like this horror never really ended. On the other hand, Kurt Cobain was critised for not doing enough research: “He got all the details wrong”. Cobain wrote ‘Polly’ from the perspective of another person, in this case Gerald Friend. No one understood why he would want to look inside the mind of such a horrible man. To Cobain it was all very simple: “I like to write about other people and events, my own life is boring”.

Polly In 2017
‘Polly’ is still a very popular song nowadays. Apart from Nevermind, ‘Polly’ is on no less than 7 live albums one of which the famous MTV Uplugged in New York recordings. Fortunatly, Gerald Friend is still behind bars and that won’t change very soon. When he was convicted in 1987, he got 75 years plus the remaining 55 years from his first conviction.Today, Friend has served 30 years and has 100 years to go. No chance of parole this time, the State of Washington was sued for prematurely paroling him in 1980.

I haven't read the lyrics, but will it still make sense if the genders were reversed?

That was going to be my line. lol

Assuming victimhood is the opposite of equal treatment. The #MeToo frenzy disturbed me because apparently if a crime is hard to prove given time, etc., then there is almost no burden of proof, at least in the eyes of the media.

I hope it is cuz that would make it cooler than a dumb song about a bird

I hope it is cuz that would make it cooler than a dumb song about a bird

If I post a selfie of myself on Instagram in a scant nightie -- but without make-up -- am I brave?

If my past was checkered with "Louis C.K.s" would I eventually be vilified as he was?

Why is a beautiful woman brave for performing pregnant? And isn't it gimmicky to pass off the performance as "profound art?"

@Lurk I don't follow your overall point. Those are complex questions that need more context probably.

Why is a beautiful woman brave for performing pregnant?

This is a thing? Lol

Reactions: Free and Lurk
@Lurk I don't follow your overall point. Those are complex questions that need more context probably.

This is a thing? Lol

I'm just hoping to bounce my thoughts off others...I would like to hear how other Ns pull this all together. I'm tired of my thoughts!

wtf

Reactions: Free and Wyote
If I post a selfie of myself on Instagram in a scant nightie -- but without make-up -- am I brave?
Nude, then yes you’re brave.
If my past was checkered with "Louis C.K.s" would I eventually be vilified as he was?
Nah, just go to rehab and you won’t proceed to Cosby lvl.
Why is a beautiful woman brave for performing pregnant? And isn't it gimmicky to pass off the performance as "profound art?"
I’m reminded of this

13 Body-Positive Influencers You Should Follow on Instagram

http://www.instyle.com/reviews-coverage/social-media/body-positive-influencers-instagram-follow

"It’s always important to surround yourself with a girl squad that champions you to be your authentic self and accepts you regardless of appearance. As we spend this month celebrating women’s achievements, we present 13 body-positivity advocates to follow on Instagram.

These models, bloggers, activists, and designers have started an important conversation and are getting results. They’re not only lighting up runways during fashion month—they’re taking action to disrupt the status quo in magazines, clothing ads, and beauty campaigns. Whether they are advocating for fashion for women of all sizes or just stepping out of traditional norms, they are putting their curves front and center and looking gorgeous doing so. Not only do their Instagram feeds show off head-turning portfolios, street style, and behind-the-scenes peeks at photo shoots, they also provide inspiration and much-needed laughs as the ladies showcase their wisdom and wit.
571613-big.jpg

1. Denise Bidot

There Is No Wrong Way to Be a Woman: That’s a slogan that grew into a website and a movement when it was launched last year by this model and single mom to inspire women to love themselves and celebrate their individuality. The former makeup artist has also blazed a trail across the runways at New York Fashion Week over the past two years: The Chromat and Serena Williams collections were her first. On her Instagram feed you’ll find empowering statement Ts, outfits of the day, and pre-photo-shoot pics, but you can also find Bidot in the current Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue in a bikini with her stretch marks unretouched, an implicit message to women to embrace their unique beauty no matter what imperfections they might believe they have.

2e59def2-71cc-4e29-9b7c-8e1ebe40b964_thumb.jpg

2. Georgina Burke

She was the first-ever official face and brand ambassador for the Torrid clothing line. The Aussie model is also featured in the documentary Straight/Curve, which focuses on the female body image and how models are helping redefine society’s beauty standards. Her most treasured posts are of her Wheaten Terrier, Auzwald, but you can also see her working out at the Dogpound in Brooklyn or hanging out with a horse from time to time (she used to compete in equestrian sports) because that’s #howGdoesit.

HcWyaYtr_400x400.jpg

3. Clémentine Desseaux

A commercial may have made the freckled beauty what she calls "the first plus girl on TV in France," but Desseaux’s making strides in other ways too. She co-founded the body-positive advocacy campaign @allwomanproject to show the industry that a group of women from different ethnicities, ages, and sizes can be successfully represented in the same ad campaign. She also runs a brand-strategy agency that helps fashion clients with art direction, production, and brand identity. The highlight of her news feeds? A special #IceCreamDance. The budding chef and foodie offers up dishes from her own kitchen with follow-along videos and recipes, which she posts on her lifestyle blog, Bonjour Clem."

To be continued...

Shouldn't Mama June be the spokesperson for body positivity?

The message these women send is: Being a little overweight is okay as long as you are attractive under the fat.

http://www.instyle.com/reviews-coverage/social-media/body-positive-influencers-instagram-follow