Is it really the murderer's fault that they are murderers? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Is it really the murderer's fault that they are murderers?

What does wetting the bed have to do with it klutzo?

Also, instead of killing these people, wouldn't it be more reasonable to give them drugs that inhibit the amount of serotonin they have somehow?

On one other MBTI forum I frequent one person constantly refers to ISTPs as the serial killer type. That seems too strong a condemtation, especially since I've read that this is the most common type among males. Since most serial killers are males this type being common among serial killers may not mean much. On the other hand, extroverted sensing does seem to fit the thrill seeking nature of many killers, and inferior Fe could make them not fit in as well with society when young, feeling little for most people and having obsessive attachments to a few.

I tend to think that actual psychopaths would be more inclined towards types that use extroverted thinking and introverted feeling though, probably TJ but maybe FP, not FJ or TP. I've heard that psychopaths are often very good at feigning emotions and at understanding emotions in others, but are unable to empathize. That sounds like much stronger Fi than Fe to me. They would not care how they get along with others (Fe), but would strongly feel that they want things (Fi) and focus on efficient ways of getting them (Te).

Question: Is it really the murderer's fault that they are murderers?

Answer: Yes

I tend to think that actual psychopaths would be more inclined towards types that use extroverted thinking and introverted feeling though, probably TJ but maybe FP, not FJ or TP. I've heard that psychopaths are often very good at feigning emotions and at understanding emotions in others, but are unable to empathize. That sounds like much stronger Fi than Fe to me. They would not care how they get along with others (Fe), but would strongly feel that they want things (Fi) and focus on efficient ways of getting them (Te).
Please don't start a discussion about which one - Fi or Ti - is more "selfish" (which is a word of any interpretation anyway). From my Fi/Te balcony the Ti/Fe is selfish in its own very different way, and apparently it's hard to see one's own way, so I'm pretty sure I don't realize my own well enough too.

In the end - speculations - are useless. Until there is a record of multiple decades/generations, with strong correlation proven, any such claims better not be discussed. ISTP is not the most common male type, by the way; ISTJ is.

Back on topic, I think there's too much assumption already in the usual accusative language. What exactly is "fault", what does it imply? What is its real meaning? It means a group of people gather to punish someone for doing something, that's what the word practically means. Is that acceptable, and is it useful? What is learned from that?

The studies that find correlation with bed-wetting for example, are based on reports. It would mean that there is stronger correlation with criminal behavior in people whose parents treated bed-wetting as something abnormal and probably even punished them for it, so it became a big deal, and was reported specifically. Why freak out so much of things that are so biologically normal? As if our bodies have had time to evolve and match with modern bed sleeping. And then, of course, if the little kid is traumatized by the shame and fear which some parents produce out of such innocent act as bed-wetting, this could have potential in some cases to combine with other factors and play its part in developing antisocial behavior.

I agree with studying people who commit murder, most importantly what influenced them, but I disagree with treating them as in any way inferior, punishable, or sub-class of humans. If anything, this attitude motivates society to treat each other this way daily, with endless suspicion and threats, which is not the way to resolve the problem, and rather re-iterates it.
They do have a moral code. It is very simple. What they want is good and what gets in the way of it is bad. You are not a being. You are a thing to them.
And I thought this has always been seen as honorable in the hollywood-induced culture... the irony. Also, they'd make the "perfect" CEOs, woot.

Last edited:
Can you even accurately relate mental illness to the mbti?
Gahh!

From everything that I have read, for me, there is compelling research that has been conducted which suggests that a lot of the properties of Murderers are genetic, and some environmental factors can actually change brain chemistry early on.

Here's a link that is about Animal Abuse and the connection between Children and Empathy: http://www.mtroyal.ca/wcm/groups/public/documents/pdf/chs_finalreport_pdf.pdf

I heard a similar thing as the link above reported on NPR the other day. What was being said is that basically, the human's brain receptors responsible for things like 'empathy' develop within the first four years of life. What a child witnesses to that point cultivates their perception of empathy. Studies have shown that if a child is witnessing animal abuse in this time period they are less likely to show empathy towards other human beings and the lack of empathy often is a big factor towards Anti-Social Personality Disorder, of which most murderers are thought to possess.

I have also read articles in the past in some nondescript science magazine which explained that there is something called ' a killer gene' that humans possess; it isn't a 100% proven theory but there is some evidence to support it. Basically this guy went through his own past history and traced back murderers that were scattered in his family tree and found that the rate was significantly higher vs others, and that it seemed to spawn after a male married into his family that also had a high rate of such activities. You could blame this on environmental factors, but I think he did a brain scan on a few people and was able to locate certain 'patterns' in the brain.

They also say that statistically speaking people who come from a criminal-ish family are more likely to be ones, this could be genetic or environmental, but the link certainly exists.

Basically, I think that the killer mentality develops early in life and can be heightened by drug use and external factors as well as traumatic events. Most killers who do the most extreme things probably possess this theorized 'killer gene' and their situation only worsens when outside factors and mental diseases cause this part of the mind to spin out of control.

That is my theory based on all of the articles and such that I have thus read, but I have only dabbled in it, I have not really researched adeptly.