Is it easier or harder to study on your own? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Is it easier or harder to study on your own?

I love doing both really, and it heavily depends on the specific task, people, and subject. I enjoy working by myself when it comes to reading, analyzing, and classwork. Simply because I often find that others get sidetracked and I sort of have an obsession with finishing everything early. When it comes to tests however, I really enjoy reviewing with others. Discussing, bringing flashcards and simply quizzing other people. I find it to very fun, it actually energizes me. I also love to work together in projects. Being with others also sort of prevents me from procrastinating.

Unless it's a subject I'm very obsessed with, like MBTI, I do better with other people.

It's not that I get frustrated, it's just that I procrastinate and decide I'll do it later. I feel a greater sense of responsibility if my instructor is monitoring my progress, and try harder for them.

The frustrating thing is that many schools have adopted a format called "lab classes" where you just do your work on the computer, and the instructor barely does anything. So it's hard to find a real instructor in anything I'm interested in these days. Which means it's a lot tougher for me to learn stuff, since I have to rely on my weaker ability to do things on my own.

Last edited:
Is it easier or harder to study on your own whether it's personal study project or a course you're taking?

What strategies do you use to help you study effectively to get it done?

What are your key motivators or inspirations?

How do you maintain consistency?

I think for me, it is easier to study alone. I do not do well in groups projects, either I organize the entire thing or I do the entire thing by myself. This is the way I am with group work in classes.

With studying I like to get out of the house for a few hours. If I start getting restless, I take a break for ten or twenty minutes and come back to the work. I do a lot of highlighting and note writing in the margins of books that I am able to write in; though since I want to sell most of my over-priced books back, I found some cool 'stick on' highlighting that can be removed, and I use post it strips to write notes on and stick on the margins.

My key motivation for doing my work is my desire to excel in school. I want to learn as much as possible for as cheaply as I can, and more opportunities in eduation are available when you perform well. I am perfectly capable of getting A's and B's in all topics as long as I apply myself. I want to use my education to make social changes in my field of work. I think that with an education I will be able to make a greater impact on the kids I work with an inspire future generations of my organization's youth to follow in my footsteps. I strive to embody that you do not need to imitate your parents; you can acheive great things, despite the disease that you may posses.

I actually do not maintain consistency very well. I end up cramming a lot and doing work last minute. I am trying to find ways to improve upon this flaw of mine.

I always study on my own. I have never used study groups or studied with other people much at all. If I do do something like that, I am acting like the "expert" and I study by answering peoples questions. I am very much a solitary learner.

Reactions: slant