Is Aussie culture is dying out?

Lurker

Has nothing to destroy
Retired Staff
May 23, 2008
MBTI
Enneagram
ShaiGar said:
You. All southern city dwellers who say "aussies don't..." just because they've grown up in american culture rather than australian.
*shrug*

We’re more Brittish here, at least we sound more English. There certainly is a large American influence that can’t be escaped but it’s still Australian culture. Don't make the reverse stereotype of saying any Aussie that isn't like you isn't Aussie.

ShaiGar said:
reiterating my own inclusion into the running, nominating the QC who defended daryl, and accepting daryl as well...

And I wish I, wish I knew the right words
To blow up the pokies and drag them away
Ah-ha: The Castle, should be part of the ‘welcome to Oz’ introduction package for new citizens.

Ooh Tim Freedman... love that song.

Re: Greatest Australian of all time?

Lurker said:
ShaiGar said:
You. All southern city dwellers who say "aussies don't..." just because they've grown up in american culture rather than australian.
*shrug*

We’re more Brittish here, at least we sound more English. There certainly is a large American influence that can’t be escaped but it’s still Australian culture. Don't make the reverse stereotype of saying any Aussie that isn't like you isn't Aussie.
Aussie culture is dying out. I've been all over this country, and it only seems to exist in the northern area (not been to W.A. yet). Since the 50's the cities have been turning to american culture. S.A. is indeed a bastion of english culture in australia, but that's it, ENGLISH, it's never really been like the rest of australia. Australian Culture is different to Australian Citizenship.

Lurker said:
Ah-ha: The Castle, should be part of the ‘welcome to Oz’ introduction package for new citizens.
Agreed.

It has definitely caught on here (american culture), when I see kids wandering around dressed like LA gangsters I just think "that's not you, thats not your culture/heritage" it's sad.

At it's core the Castle is a beautiful story about the antipodean pioneering/quarter-acre paradise/do-it-yourself spirit.

ShaiGar said:
Lurker said:
ShaiGar said:
*shrug*

Aussie culture is dying out. I've been all over this country, and it only seems to exist in the northern area (not been to W.A. yet). Since the 50's the cities have been turning to american culture. S.A. is indeed a bastion of english culture in australia, but that's it, ENGLISH, it's never really been like the rest of australia. Australian Culture is different to Australian Citizenship.
I think till recently WA would have been more like the Northern states but due to the boom in growth I’d say that’s not the case anymore.

Agree culture and citizenship are not even close to being the same things, one is about tradition and nostalgia the other is about new culture being integrated (sometimes not even).

So my questions, would the move away from what was traditionally considered an Aussie mean that 'Australian culture' is changing as opposed to no longer existing? I mean all cultures change and develop overtime, we are becoming a more globally aware world and other cultures are creeping in everywhere. Why should we hold onto the past when it is no longer relevant or should it be relevant? (same for Kiwiland)

Oh and I'm not talking about the kids dressing like 'Merican gangsters, that isn't even remotely funny, I'm talking more mainstream Oz not those specifically trying to be American.

Stone said:
At it's core the Castle is a beautiful story about the antipodean pioneering/quarter-acre paradise/do-it-yourself spirit.
Absolutely and that’s what I consider Oz culture and I still think it exists, at least it does here. Dress and superficial things like language are not the point for me.

Stone said:
It has definitely caught on here (american culture), when I see kids wandering around dressed like LA gangsters I just think "that's not you, thats not your culture/heritage" it's sad.
In darwin they seem to be emulating the detroit gangsters...

It's fucking hilarious. In detroit the "gangsters" are poor, so they cannot afford real clothes, they wear hand me downs, thus they're baggy, they're also in a very very cold climate, so they wear beanies, and huge jumpers...

The aboriginal kids here try to emulate them by talking like eminem, and wearing beanies and huge jumpers. It rarely goes below 20 here, even in winter, there's an average temperature of 28 - 31 degrees and the humidity is killer.

god, some days i cannot stop laughing at them.

Greatest Australian of all time?

Lurker said:
So my questions, would the move away from what was traditionally considered an Aussie mean that 'Australian culture' is changing as opposed to no longer existing? I mean all cultures change and develop overtime, we are becoming a more globally aware world and other cultures are creeping in everywhere. Why should we hold onto the past when it is no longer relevant or should it be relevant? (same for Kiwiland)

I was just about to ask you guys this, as a NT's do you view culture as "survival of the fittest" like the whole point of culture is that it is important if it is relevent to the people of the time?

If you do lament the loss of Aussie culture that's wonderfully sentimental for a couple of NT's. ;)

Oh and I'm not talking about the kids dressing like 'Merican gangsters, that isn't even remotely funny, I'm talking more mainstream Oz not those specifically trying to be American.
\

...but that IS mainstream here, most kids/teens take it very seriously.

Stone said:
\

Yeah, I’ve heard you guys have it pretty bad with street gangs full of kids emulating the American culture. That would have a massive effect on the overall culture but taking that out of the picture do you feel as though you're losing Kiwi culture or sentiment in the rest of society?

ShaiGar said:
Stone said:
In darwin they seem to be emulating the detroit gangsters...

It's fucking hilarious. In detroit the "gangsters" are poor, so they cannot afford real clothes, they wear hand me downs, thus they're baggy, they're also in a very very cold climate, so they wear beanies, and huge jumpers...

The aboriginal kids here try to emulate them by talking like eminem, and wearing beanies and huge jumpers. It rarely goes below 20 here, even in winter, there's an average temperature of 28 - 31 degrees and the humidity is killer.

god, some days i cannot stop laughing at them.
Hmm maybe my thing is I don’t see this here, we have some doing that but it isn’t that visual which is why I’m more interested in what were traditional Australian attitudes, the kind of things they talk about when referring to the ANZAC spirit and wonder if they are disappearing?

As globalistaion continues the idea of some global omni-culture seems... incredibly boring!

Lurker said:
Stone said:
\

Yeah, I’ve heard you guys have it pretty bad with street gangs full of kids emulating the American culture. That would have a massive effect on the overall culture but taking that out of the picture do you feel as though you're losing Kiwi culture or sentiment in the rest of society?

Kiwi culture is still there, in some ways we have become far more interesting over my lifetime as we have embraced Maori and Polynesian culture. A lot of people would love to go back to the "good ol' days" but that would probably mean stepping on a lot of toes and going backwards in a sense. I would love if our kids would take the culture and history we already have and build on that into the future, rather than pinch someone elses.

anyone noticed what goes for ANZAC biscuits these days?

In my day they were rolled oats, golden syrup, and a superiority complex that temporarilly included the sheep-lovers next door that we call brothers.