Introverts and education | INFJ Forum

Introverts and education

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Some questions came to mind today about introverts and their optimal learning environments?
1) Is homeschooling better for introverts than public schooling?
2) Can too much social interaction negatively affect academic success for an introvert in the classroom?
3) Do introverts always work more effectively independently vs. groups or teams?
4) Do introverts learning style different significantly from extrovert learning styles?

I think that rather than just looking at introversion vs extroversion it would be better to look at underlying function stacking. I am actually not super keen on MBTI and typing in general, but I think we are better off understanding that introversion means different things to different people, and understanding why someone is introverted can mean all the difference.

I don't know about homeschooling so I don't have any idea or preference myself, but I think that smaller classes is a way to go about it - so that teachers can see and communicate better with the children, and hopefully understand and reach out to them better.

Last edited:

I can't speak for every introvert, but I've always thought I could have
developed my strengths better if I've been home-schooled instead
(mixed with some non-competitive formal lessons in particular fields).
I could have used a little less stress from the all the pressure and
competition that academic classes required.

As for social interaction, I guess in some ways it's healthy,
as long as it's not something forced out of everyone,
like gaining a part of the grades from participating in discussions.
Working in groups for a certain project could be a great way
for introverts to maintain some personal balance.

Generally, I do think introverts and extroverts have different learning styles.
Well, not just these two groups, but every individual for that matter.
And so, I do hope school systems could have a more open structure,
and offer options that could cater to student diversity.

Last edited:
My personal bias is against homeschooling in general (sorry if this offends anyone). I think kids need to learn to function in a social environment, and that is probably the most useful aspect of school. However, I acknowledge that home schooling may sometimes be the best option for the child or circumstances. Also, homeschooling can be done in groups, which negates my concern about it. As an introverted kid, I probably would have preferred homeschooling, but I don't think it would have done me any favors.
2) Can too much social interaction negatively affect academic success for an introvert in the classroom?
Yes, I believe so. Introverts may become so run-down and distracted by the effort of functioning in a hyper-social atmosphere, that it ultimately detracts from energy that would otherwise would go to studies.
3) Do introverts always work more effectively independently vs. groups or teams?
Probably depends on the material. Sometimes we need a team, no matter our personality type.
4) Do introverts learning style different significantly from extrovert learning styles?
This is just a guess, but introverts may be be more visual than auditory learners. I know I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elis
I know this article strays a bit from the topic, however; many of these same struggles outlined in the article seem to correspond to the struggles the INXX group can have in elementary school.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10065.aspx

The points regarding sensitivity, social alienation, and perfectionism are spot on. I think this could be connected to introversion because introverts tend to be quite focused or singular in their efforts and attentions. They will spend a great deal of time in solitary activities, mastering a subject, or skill.

I think kids need to learn to function in a social environment, and that is probably the most useful aspect of school. However, I acknowledge that home schooling may sometimes be the best option for the child or circumstances. Also, homeschooling can be done in groups, which negates my concern about it.

I agree with this concern too. Social interaction should not be compromised.
I guess I'm for homeschooling because I've read a lot of stories from homeschooling
advocates who address this issue, and suggest programs that not only targets individual learning,
but also encourages enough interaction to help kids function in a society.
For example, in addition to the self-paced sit-down lectures, they have the kids join in groups or classes
that are more cooperative rather than competitive, like community art lessons for instance.
Your idea of group homeschooling could also be a viable option.

So, I guess it's really up to the parents/guardians to enforce a well-balanced program
that would tackle all the personal development areas for the kids, if ever they
decide on a homeschooling path, which is of course a really huge responsibility.
:smile:

The points regarding sensitivity, social alienation, and perfectionism are spot on. I think this could be connected to introversion because introverts tend to be quite focused or singular in their efforts and attentions. They will spend a great deal of time in solitary activities, mastering a subject, or skill.

Also the section on connecting with adults and identifying better with them than your peers.

Sometimes

Yes

Generally, yes but there is great value in learning alternative methods

4) Do introverts learning style differ significantly from extrovert learning styles?
Yes

Academically, probably. Especially if the public schooling is through a small school where it is less likely to have a good social circle to fit in with. The lack of social interaction I think is a huge detriment though, public schooling forces 12-13 years of it onto a kid and while it might have detrimental effects it can also be very beneficial. The real world is a social place, having the minimal amount of social skills will take you far and the lack of them will hold you back.

Yes. Introverts tend to learn better when given the space and quite to do so. A classroom structured around the needs of extroverted people is likely not going to work well on the introverted portion.

No. Put a small group of introverts that work well together and whatever they work on and produce is likely to be better then any one of them could have created on their own. More heads are almost always better then one. Its just a matter of having the group dynamics in a way that is beneficial to the members of the group. Even a group of introverts and extroverts can work well together if they all have the skills to actually work together on it.

More introspection, letting an idea sink in, less excitement.

I agree with this concern too. Social interaction should not be compromised.
I guess I'm for homeschooling because I've read a lot of stories from homeschooling
advocates who address this issue, and suggest programs that not only targets individual learning,
but also encourages enough interaction to help kids function in a society.
For example, in addition to the self-paced sit-down lectures, they have the kids join in groups or classes
that are more cooperative rather than competitive, like community art lessons for instance.
Your idea of group homeschooling could also be a viable option.

So, I guess it's really up to the parents/guardians to enforce a well-balanced program
that would tackle all the personal development areas for the kids, if ever they
decide on a homeschooling path, which is of course a really huge responsibility.
:smile:

For homeschooling I think it is imperative for the parents to go out of the way of normal to include social interaction into the classroom. Without it you have very sheltered and shy kids that struggle once thrown into the world because the world can be at times a mean, unreasonable, and uncaring place.

I think there needs to be a balance. Extroverted personas tend to be favoured in a variety of careers, so acclimating an introvert to environments where they are forced to develop a tolerance to protraying extroversion is important. I think home-schooling my alienate them from those experiences, and might put them at a disadvantage for environments after they leave the k-12 system.

I think over socializing can be distracting for both- again, it's important for students to learn how to balance both academic and social demands and opportunities early in life. A life full of work is just as destructive as a life full of play.

Introverts can be exceptional team members. I think the key for good working styles is the level of autonomy that introverts seek. Independence can occur easily on a team, where strengths and weakness of its members are recognized and leaders are then identified. Again, working effectively as part of a team, and on your own, are both important skills- and thus an introvert and extrovert should be able to adapt to both.

Learning styles go beyond introversion and extroversions. Everyone has a unique mix of how they learn, regardless of their MBTI.

acclimating an introvert to environments where they are forced to develop a tolerance to protraying extroversion is important.

Introverts should not be forced to do anything that bends to the whims of an extrovert, nor the other way around. Each should work to understand the other and use the strengths of each individual for the greater good.

Learning styles go beyond introversion and extroversions. Everyone has a unique mix of how they learn, regardless of their MBTI.

Definitely.

Introverts should not be forced to do anything that bends to the whims of an extrovert, nor the other way around. Each should work to understand the other and use the strengths of each individual for the greater good.

In an ideal world, yes. But the reality is that work environments and employers tend to seek out the qualities of an extrovert and believe that they make better leaders - I'm not saying they're correct as both bring important skills and personalities to the workforce, but employers tend to be drawn to extroverts and want them in especially fast-paced and evolving environments. My point is that a balance of both extrovertedness and introvertedness, and acclamation to utilizing those attributes is likely beneficial to any students, as they would bring more mailable skills.

I think setting someone up for success involves introducing them to environments that they might not initially or ever feel comfortable in, and give them an opportunity to adapt and develop coping skills to help them engage in said environments.

Reactions: Wyote
I think setting someone up for success involves introducing them to environments that they might not initially or ever feel comfortable in, and give them an opportunity to adapt and develop coping skills to help them engage in said environments.

Awww yea! I see where you're coming from. And to my other points, of course I'm talking about an ideal world, it is the INFJ way! lol.

It depends. I was home schooled and had a great experience with it. I feel like the independent environment prepared me for college much more than I could have had I completed my education through the public school system (I started home schooling in 7th grade). I had to teach myself most of the work after I reached a certain level, especially in high school and more so in mathematics, but in the end I feel like it helped me more than hurt me. My mother (ISTJ) was really great about creating a schedule for each semester and expecting me to follow it. She wasn't that stereotypical sappy home school mom who gave her kids A's because she wanted to. In fact, she gave my brother some D's and F's when he deserved it due to not turning in assignments. Yes, I had a 3.9 something GPA in high school, but I worked my ass off for it. As a result, I finished high school math and started taking college classes both the age of 16 which is the primary reason I'm graduating college 3 semesters early now.

However, less structured introverts that have difficulty with motivation might would do better in a private or even public school environment where there are more outside forces pushing you to complete deadlines. I'm extremely motivated especially in that area so I didn't have a problem completing deadlines when there wasn't someone there constantly reminding me that something was about to be due. It really depends from person to person. However, from my experience knowing both introverts and extroverts who were home schooled, in general the introverts were the ones who liked it better and also performed better under those conditions. This doesn't mean that an extrovert would do poorly with home schooling, it's just my experience that they are less likely to enjoy the environment than introverts.
I'm not really sure about this one. I'd say that it's possible, but it may not be the case for every introvert. I'm not overly social in the classroom anyway, so I have little experience with understanding how social interaction affects academic success.
As a general rule, it is possible, but I wouldn't say always. There are plenty of introverts who genuinely like people and enjoy working with others so that they do well in groups or teams, but still need time to recharge after such an encounter. That said, I'm not one of those people. I prefer to work alone or in a team of 2 or 3 at the most. Once the group has 4 or 5 students in it it stops becoming a group effort and turns into me teaching everyone how to do it because they didn't pay attention in class or aren't smart enough to comprehend the material as quickly as me.
From my experience learning style has less to do with being introverted or extroverted, but more about how your brain works and functions as a whole. For example, I currently hold a second job as an economics tutor, and I've tutored both introverts and extroverts. I can fairly easily assess what teaching approaches work best to help a student understand some concept and it doesn't seem to be overly correlated with whether or not they are introverted or extroverted. Some students like you to use metaphors and illustrative examples, and others just want you to tell them like it is in the real world. Some people prefer lots of charts and writing stuff down, and others have a really good auditory memory. For example, my boyfriend (INTP) has amazing auditory memory, though introvert he might be. It just depends from person to person.

Last edited:
Some questions came to mind today about introverts and their optimal learning environments?

1) Yes, at times. Self-studied with a visit once a week from a home-bound teacher in the tenth grade. Did quite well. Missed 72 days. I found it much easier to study when I felt up to it. My teacher was a kind lady, too.
2) Never remember having too much social interaction.
3) Worked well in groups and individually. Seems like my grades were directly proportionate to my caring about the subject. Just got by with whatever I did not like(including teachers or attitudes) and did very well when everything felt great. I may have been affected more by teachers and such that did not treat me the way I felt I should have been treated by one of their authority. Held them to high standards and was let down a lot.
4) ?

Last edited:
Before I answer your questions, I would like to share what my educational path/experience has been, so that any biases I may have that I do not see become apparent to the reader. I will try to answer the questions from my own personal perspective, rather than from a meta-analysis point of view:

K-1 Homeschooled

2-9 Public School

10-12 Homeschooled

During grades 4-6 I attended two schools simultaneously, (two days a week at one, three days at the other).

The three day class was your typical public school environment with the caveat that I was also in all the available advanced coursework classes, so they tended to stay a bit smaller than your average classroom size.

The two day class was a much more intimate affair with advanced curriculum and smaller class size (between six and eight students).

Beyond public school, I have attended three years of private university in my spare time. I am still currently enrolled. Class sizes vary from 10-30 students.

In general, yes, if you are referring to actual learning. There is the issue of social awkwardness that comes up often regarding my time in homeschool, but it is largely a moot point. I find that I can carry a conversation with a more diverse group of people better than similarly tempered individuals that are my peers. In public school, I fared better the smaller the class size. Even today while attending university, I find that I get much more out of a smaller classroom setting than that of a larger setting.

I find too much social interaction draining. It's like a bad sugar buzz that doesn't wear off, and when it does, crash time. It's very distracting. My wife (INFJ) has a knack for knowing how many people were in a class just by my actions when I get home from a class. The smaller the class, the better I think most introverts will perform.

I think most introverts prefer to work alone, or if they must, in smaller teams. Personally, I loathe working in groups, because two things will always happen: 1) I will get stuck with the lion's share of work, because I know it will get done that way (I am a duty fulfiller), and 2) I will get stressed out because of this, because I know that my work will be critiqued by my peers and not just by the professors, so I will pull all stops out to try to perform at an even higher level.

Did I mention I hate working in groups?

I cannot answer this directly, as I an not an extrovert. I offer this additional anecdote, however: When my parents made the decision to switch their children (myself included) back over to homeschool, they left my extroverted brother in public school, and only pulled out my sister and myself. My sister is also, to an extent, introverted.

Can't really speak for all introverts, so I will just answer with my own thoughts on the matter.

I don't know but, I would have preferred to have been home schooled.
School was a nightmare for me.

Yes. Social Interaction is not always a positive thing, it wasn't in my case, and honestly It drained me before the day was over.
Meaning that by lunch time I'd lost my ability to really focus on what was being said at all. I'd be day dreaming.
And I used to be bullied so that's extra pressure that negatively effects ones learning curve.

I think if I did not have to attend classes regularly I'd have been able to skip a grade or two, especially with homeschooling.
Pretty much every subject I would devour on Discovery and NatGeo, but the content in the classroom was presented in ways that did not interest me as much.
I don't do well remembering dates and names. I cannot remember them that well. But the things I see and experience I remember ;p

School for me did everything wrong when it came to getting the most potential out of me, and if anything it did the opposite.
In my country of residence, everything is geared towards auditory learning, and whilst I would remember pretty much every detail of lifestyles, happenings, achievements and visuals.
As in the real subject matter, the tests were all about names of people, places and dates.

I work more effective independently because in groups I end up having to pull other peoples weight and keep trying to keep them working which sets back my own progress.

I don't think so. In general I think Visual, Auditory and kinaesthetic styles are still the main thing.
I do however believe I am better able to concentrate and absorb information without being surrounded by lots of people.
So whilst the style does not really differ, I think the environment does.

Last edited: