Introversion is objectively unhealthy? | INFJ Forum

Introversion is objectively unhealthy?

knight in battle

Feb 28, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
A clearer picture of reality never hurts:

Interestingly,I've found that people who score high on Introversion (or Reserved onthe SLOAN test) are more likely to have a weak sense of identity, a lower enjoyment of life, and are more likely to hate themselves.They are also more likely to be bitter, defensive, and self deceive. This alone would account for both the more negative introvert self descriptions and the vitriol I occasionally get about that. That's not to say a small percentage of introverts might not be perfectly happy and/or well-adjusted, but that's simply not the case with most people that self rate as reserved, unassertive, private and othertraits associated with Introversion by the Big 5 and Myers Briggs personality systems.

Asan introvert myself historically, I have to admit to my own history of self uncertainty and self hatred. Of course the MBTI offered self hating introverts a more positive sense of identity, your money is as good as any other client and they want it (also the MBTI developers were probably Feelers/Irrational who value what feels right over what makes sense so they are unlikely to criticize even a serial killer if doing so would make them feel sad). So they tell introverts - you arejust different, you recharge alone, you are just pickier about who tobe friends with, it's perfectly normal to have anxiety in a crowded area. The reality is that anxiety is not healthy, its symptomatic of a psychological and/or organic health issue.

Based on the actual evidence, I have to conclude that many aspects traditionally associated with introversion are in fact serious psychological dysfunctions. For example, being private can mean being afraid to show others who you really are (often because you don'teven know who you are). How anyone could spin that as a positive is testimony to the marketing greed of personality test companies or good intentioned people pleasing of the Accommodating disposition.
(SimilarMindsdescriptions are too negative?)

And the advice given is:

If you are open to the reality that Big 5/MBTI Introversion (or anyother type score that yielded a more negative description) is in fact an indication of psychological and/or physical issues, conscious and/or unconscious unhappiness issues, and/or dysfunction, and you want to change/improve who you are, start working on the followingtwo things:

1.Mental/Existential health- http://research.similarminds.com/the-motiv-personality-system/588
2.Physical/Organic health- http://research.similarminds.com/physical-exercise-chemical-exercise-and-maximizing-health/507

Last edited:
I remember having read this article before on that website.

I would think... that if introverts had these misfortunate traits that were only related to introversion, then a lot of that would just be from stigma received from others for being introverted.

Then again, I might just be in the mood to sugar coat right now, and in reality all introverts need to grow a pair.

I would think... that if introverts had these misfortunate traits that were only related to introversion, then a lot of that would just be from stigma received from others for being introverted.
I think it's the unfortunate dysfunctions that cause people to score high on "introversion".

in reality all introverts need to grow a pair.
So you agree? :)

What is the actual evidence? This persons own self hatred and the miserable company they probably keep?

Reactions: Blind Bandit
What is the actual evidence? This persons own self hatred and the miserable company they probably keep?

Just look in the mirror - booya!

Reactions: Sloe Djinn
Also, if you disagree it's because you're defensive/unstable and if you agree it's because you have low self-esteem.

One could just as easily argue that extraversion is objectively unhealthy.

You know, there is actually evidence that several pathogens, including the influenza virus, manipulate our systems to make us more gregarious in order to spread more easily. Maybe extraverts are all sick and we introverts are just trying to avoid contamination.

From my experience with the Asian American community, I don't think that true introversion is particularly common among Asians. They mostly seem like extraverts and judgers. Unhealthy extraverts may tend to live more like introverts, but that does not mean that the real introverts are unhealhty.

Who's the idiot who wrote that?

Yes, people with social/emotional problems are likely to score as introverted, but being introverted does not mean you have social/emotional problems.

Does not compute.

Reactions: Radiantshadow
Please don't use the argument that if we deny something then we are actually wrong.

I agree with ACD. Where is the proof?

Plenty of data on his blog, but I wish he could cite his empirical data more convincingly. Apparently, self hatred was part of his psyche but not any longer. :w:

Why is being different a psychological dysfunction? Introverts may be weird, but I honestly don't think they're unhealthy in most cases...

It use to be unhealthy for me. Then I got better but remained an introvert. For what its worth.

With people I know I notice a lot of introverts suffering compared to extroverts. Seems like its possible that introverts are generally less happy, but theres a lot of people to intelligently survey in order to be sure.

Last edited: