Internship interview | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Internship interview

then I would be asking yourself the following.

1. in order to convince people that god is the only way out of their adiction, will I have to convince them that I believe it?

I think I may inquire whether I can substitute "higher power" for "God" simply for the sake of my own personal values. Higher power can mean anything from your family to God and is a considerably less loaded term.

2. if someone asks me if I believe in god what will I say?

Personally I do believe in God. However, my conception of God is considerably different and more existential than the traditional theistic view of a supernatural deity. By most Christian's conceptions I would be considered agnostic.

Thing is...couldn't Satya just ask the client IF they believe in a higher power at all? If they do - then work with it. If they don't - then work with that as well. What difference does it make?
Unless the agency requires the client to do a public demonstration of their belief in God. If that's the case - then I couldn't work there. I agree with Chaz and Galileo.

This would be the preferable option. I am much more comfortable working with another individual's belief in God/higher power than I am trying to force one down their throat.

is there any way you can discuss any of these issues with your potential employers?

[URL="http://forums.infjs.com/[MENTION=3230 said:
Galileo[/MENTION]"][MENTION=3230]Galileo[/MENTION][/URL];460814]that's true, but there's also the issue that their may be difficulties with other members of staff who may think he is not pushing the religious angle enough...

Yeh - well - then he'd have to deal with that on his own turf. Sometimes in life you have to take the chance that it will work out - instead of seeing all of the potential problems that may arise and never take the step at all. I have been surprised at how easily I walk among the religious types and get along with them because they ASSUME since I'm such a nice person I believe the way they do. And that could be as far from the truth as the sun is from Pluto.

I shift my ideas of what it means to be human in this wide vast universe to include their views when pressed. I learned long ago that to fight them is futile. Their identity is tied too closely with that belief. As Satya says - his definition of God could be inclusive of theirs.

The real issue for us as social workers is to learn to meet the client where they're at. If they believe in a God outside of them - well - imo -they've got a long tough road in front of them and if I can show them compassion and love then maybe they'll go home and smile at their kids that night. We work with the flow of being human - not fight against it.

The real issue for us as social workers is to learn to meet the client where they're at. If they believe in a God outside of them - well - imo -they've got a long tough road in front of them and if I can show them compassion and love then maybe they'll go home and smile at their kids that night. We work with the flow of being human - not fight against it.

Well said. I feel that being receptive and sensitive to the personal beliefs of clients is an important aspect of self determination and thus a core value of the code of ethics for social workers. If clients are lead into a course of action through compulsion rather than through their own determination then I believe it would do more harm than good. I simply cannot, in good conscience, tell a client that their only way to escape addiction is through a belief in God. If the client is agnostic or an atheist then doing so would be disrespectful and unfair.

Reactions: Galileo
I think that's a really good idea, because if they really like you, and want you on board, then they should be prepared to compremise and work with you on some of the points of treatment.

I mean, they must want people who are going to be good at actually helping people with their issues rather than just people who are good at quoting the bible and whatever religious line they are taking.

I totally understand that there are great religious organisations out there doing very good work and I approve of that, but helping them find jesus cannot be their main objective, their main objective should be to help people with their adictions, surely as christians that should be the most important thing.

Well said. I feel that being receptive and sensitive to the personal beliefs of clients is an important aspect of self determination and thus a core value of the code of ethics for social workers.
If clients are lead into a course of action through compulsion rather than through their own determination then I believe it would do more harm than good. I simply cannot, in good conscience, tell a client that their only way to escape addiction is through a belief in God. If the client is agnostic or an atheist then doing so would be disrespectful and unfair.

Exactly!

[URL="http://forums.infjs.com/[MENTION=3230 said:
Galileo[/MENTION]"][MENTION=3230]Galileo[/MENTION][/URL];460846]I think that's a really good idea, because if they really like you, and want you on board, then they should be prepared to compromise and work with you on some of the points of treatment.

I mean, they must want people who are going to be good at actually helping people with their issues rather than just people who are good at quoting the bible and whatever religious line they are taking.

I totally understand that there are great religious organisations out there doing very good work and I approve of that, but helping them find jesus cannot be their main objective, their main objective should be to help people with their addictions, surely as christians that should be the most important thing.

One would hope so, Galileo...

but from my experiences down here - does not happen so much.

Update: I just wanted to let the people who answered this thread know that I have chosen to do this internship. I think it will be a great opportunity to work in a different environment. They don't expect me to advocate for any particular belief system and I will meet with their chaplain to see how open he is when it comes to other people's belief systems, but overall I feel pretty confident that this will be a good experience for me. Thank you for your advice.

Awww...

I feel good about this for you Satya. They do sound more open minded than many. How fortuitous for you! How hopeful it sounds for me to hear.
Imagine. An open minded religious social services agency.
Awesome!!!!!

Good luck to you. :high5:

I hope you share with us stories you feel are important to you, in the months to come.

Good luck, Satya. Congratulations.