Internship interview | INFJ Forum

Internship interview

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
Today I will interview at a particularly religious organization for a possible internship. This social service organization is very faith based and even utilizes Bible studies and AA groups as treatment. One of the missions stated by its founder is to help people find Jesus. I'm wondering if this will be a bad fit for me. What do you think? It would be an excellent career opportunity, but I may have a few philosophical differences.

Reactions: Jungian Trip
It depends what your differences with the organisation are exactly, I think and how much you agree with their work and treatment...

I don't know about you. But for me I would ran in the opposite direction.lol

Last edited:
Sounds like the anti-Satya place to work. Good luck, don't let them hit you out of frustration over your impossible for them to answer questions =p

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I think you would very much agree with teachings of Jesus. When people ask me about my views of him that's what I fall back on to help me and the person doing the asking reach common ground.
The pont I would have trouble is if they asked me to lead a Bible study class.
Good luck Satya.

Why do god bothers like to use charity as an excuse to hound the unfortunate? Why can't they just help like other religions?

I don't disagree with the teachings of jesus. I'm an atheist and I think that Jesus was a great guy. What I would disagree with is the idea of Jesus being a great way and the only way to actually help people that need psychological help.

something I disliked intensely after I became an atheist and examined my life as a former christian, was the fact that I allowed god and religion to be a sort of quick fix for my issues and just thought that they would all go away because I got saved. I think this happens to a lot of people and I don't think it's good for them to come to such beliefs when they are going through a really tough time, because they may not actually deal with any underlying issues they have, or may try to push them aside without dealing with them and hope god will do the work for them.

I just do not believe this is healthy.

my simple advice to you would be that if they are asking you to do things that go directly against your nature and values and beliefs that you should definitely run the other way, because you may come to regret some of the advice or treatments you may recommend to people.

Sounds like the worst fit for you.

I think I might take the job. After the interview there are elements that I disagree with but I can try to treat the religious elements like resources. I'll have to look over the research on their treatment methodology to see if I will be comfortable utilizing their methods, but it so far outside my comfort range that it might be an excellent opportunity to expand my horizons.

Do you need to pretend to believe?

This could teach you some religious tolerance... or how to rage quit with style. Can't wait to find out which one!

there's expanding ones horizons and there's sacrificing ones beliefs and values...

it could be that it's so far out of your comfort zone that you may not be able to treat as well as you would if you felt more comfortable in your employment situation.

It depends what your differences with the organisation are exactly, I think and how much you agree with their work and treatment...

I don't like the theistic bent of the 12 step program that is central to their treatment. They don't even call it a "higher power" like the traditional 12 step program, they flat out call it "God". I'm trying to imagine myself telling someone they have to recognize that God exists and he is the only way out of their addiction.

Still...if Satya is there - he may be the one person there that can reach an individual the other (not so open minded) religious employees might not be able to do. I've encountered many people who needed help and were either turned away because they didn't fit the "belief" system of the agency or they themselves turned away because the agency personnel were very judging of them. Opportunities were lost - for both agency and the potential clients who needed help.

I like the fact you are keeping an open mind here. There's no telling what you may gain.

Reactions: Satya
then I would be asking yourself the following.

1. in order to convince people that god is the only way out of their adiction, will I have to convince them that I believe it?

2. if someone asks me if I believe in god what will I say?

I'm trying to imagine myself telling someone they have to recognize that God exists and he is the only way out of their addiction.

Nope, I couldn't do it. Do you really think it's right to help addicts by giving them what you believe is false advice?

Not only would you be sacrificing your own beliefs but you're exploiting theirs for selfish aims.

still...if Satya is there - he may be the one person there that can reach an individual the other (not so open minded) religious employees might not be able to do. I've encountered many people who needed help and were either turned away because they didn't fit the "belief" system of the agency or they themselves turned away because the agency personnel were very judging of them. Opportunities were lost - for both agency and the potential clients who needed help.

that's true, but there's also the issue that their may be difficulties with other members of staff who may think he is not pushing the religious angle enough...

Thing is...couldn't Satya just ask the client IF they believe in a higher power at all? If they do - then work with it. If they don't - then work with that as well. What difference does it make?
Unless the agency requires the client to do a public demonstration of their belief in God. If that's the case - then I couldn't work there. I agree with Chaz and Galileo.