Intellectual Maturity? | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Intellectual Maturity?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16771
  • Start date
To answer your question, posts by new members with links or pictures go into the moderation queue as a way to catch spammers.

Prime example. An absolute master-level reply that consists of a random baseless insult in which the person misuses an intellectual-sounding concept that they don’t actually understand, and a ... tarot card.
You misunderstand me - I was actually expressing a sort of admiration lol. It's probably impossible for anyone to respond to your statement and not help you to claim it supports you. It's irrefutable in any way that could satisfy you within its own terms.
My response wasn't an intellectual one though - it was straight from the great Ni/Fe in the sky so outside the scope of what you said.....

You misunderstand me - I was actually expressing a sort of admiration lol. It's probably impossible for anyone to respond to your statement and not help you to claim it supports you. It's irrefutable in any way that could satisfy you within its own terms.
My response wasn't an intellectual one though - it was straight from the great Ni/Fe in the sky so outside the scope of what you said.....
Ok and how was I supposed to discern that from the post that you made

Reactions: John K
Ok and how was I supposed to discern that from the post that you made

Well you are on a site full of NFs of course so you will get some off centre and cryptic responses. I felt I couldn't respond initially with an intellectual statement because of what you said - but just ask for clarification if someone posts anything quirky that you need explaining. I'm really sorry you thought it was an insult - I was actually amused by and interested in your post.

It's irrefutable in any way that could satisfy you within its own terms.
I don’t really believe this. That would be like if I said fully mature ego-less discussion at any and all times outside of structured debate scenarios is impossible. That’s not what I meant. It’s just highly improbable.

You haven’t explained where the irony is yet.

bmlrtgga3gu21.png

I don’t really believe this. That would be like if I said fully mature ego-less discussion at any and all times outside of structured debate scenarios is impossible. That’s not what I meant. It’s just highly improbable.
It was this part of your statement that caught my fancy
If someone is actually actively trying to be intellectual, they are probably not mature. It’s almost like an oxymoron.
Anyone who is trying to be intellectual is immature, and if they are immature but not trying to be intellectual they are immature: It could be read as meaning that the only mature people are ones who are not exhibiting intellectual behaviour and all those who do are immature. But I know what you mean - there is a sort of immaturity that wears the clothes of the intellectual in order to try and mask their immaturity, and there are some very clever folks who do that.

Not impressed by the intellectual maturity being shown here peeps, I expected better from this reborn thread. I'll bring out the cane if I have to

It was this part of your statement that caught my fancy

Anyone who is trying to be intellectual is immature, and if they are immature but not trying to be intellectual they are immature: It could be read as meaning that the only mature people are ones who are not exhibiting intellectual behaviour and all those who do are immature. But I know what you mean - there is a sort of immaturity that wears the clothes of the intellectual in order to try and mask their immaturity, and there are some very clever folks who do that.
Yeah. Basically what I meant was that maturity is about a focus on EQ over IQ. You’re automatically immature if you reverse them.

there is a sort of immaturity that wears the clothes of the intellectual in order to try and mask their immaturity, and there are some very clever folks who do that.

nwjWlId.jpg

It's probably immature to try to be mature, too, or to worry about that at all.

Trying to 'be' anything is an ego-goal, and labelling behaviours by how they translate to the 'being' of others is an ego-centric response to situations.

Not that the ego is the deserved villain of the psyche or anything, just that all these arguments which attempt to denigrate states of being ('immaturity' 'intellectual') on the grounds of them being ego-constructs are ultimately self-defeating because the critique comes from exactly the same place.

'I am' is the ego talking, be it attacking 'immaturity' or claiming 'maturity'.

It's probably easiest to avoid this trap altogether by speaking in fundamental 'I shoulds' directly from the superego.

Being called immature or pretty much anything negative anyone wants to call you, is nothing short of them devaluing you as a means to promote themselves. Getting lost in that forest of rules just makes you prey to the imaginary beasts you give power to.

Being called immature or pretty much anything negative anyone wants to call you, is nothing short of them devaluing you as a means to promote themselves. Getting lost in that forest of rules just makes you prey to the imaginary beasts you give power to.

be-bestbe-beast.jpg