"Intellect vs. Heart", right? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

"Intellect vs. Heart", right?

I am thinking of the Sophie's Choice, by Styron. In the situation in which Sophie is forced to choose between saving one of her two children from immediate death, she uses her intellect to pick the child most likely to survive in harsh conditions (her son). Her heart was telling her to give up, gather both her children to her and go to death with them. I think the intellect is often associated with the ability to be very utilitarian when necessary.

Indeed. Intellect is the ability to adept to change.

There is no separation between the Mind and the Heart; however if the mind is heavily influenced by the ego and/or the heart is heavily influenced by emotions and feelings without rational understanding; the imbalance can create the dichotomy and it becomes the individual's choice to take sides. But in a healthy and ideal state; the heart and the mind functions in conjunction; supporting and balancing each of it's aspects.

Reactions: PintoBean
Let me ask you something: what is logic?; what is rational?; what is intellect?; what is heart?; what is feelings?; what is emotions? I'm not so fast to buy into the belief of the "logical mind" since I think about no one is logical. But that depends on what type of logic you are talking about: in case you mean formal logic, then of course you need to be a computer to think logical - or am I wrong? (I might be) Would it further be true to say that "True logic gives no freedom"?

The question to answer in this thread is whether there is a "intellect vs. heart" relation - that you in every circumstance have to choose one of them, and what I understand you have to define what we mean by intellect and heart in the first place, before we even can answer the question. I don't know how to make this definition, because it seams to me like everybody already have made it whenever they use this kind of thinking that they are seperated and opposites of eachother.

@muir well the thing I often remind is that logic=/=reason. I mean just think of the most logical thing -- a computer. Literally written in binary, does things exactly and strictly according to some logical procedure.
This is very different from how people reason, in that yes, a reason must be something we can translate into logical terms, and which must address all relevant features whose relevance can be framed logically.
However, a reason is ultimately also a conceptual thing existing in the mind and there may be infinitely many ways to logically capture the same reason.

This is the basis as far as I understand for the distinction Jung makes between thinking and feeling and why he can call the feeling function rational -- he means it is very in touch with the rational mind, even if its purpose isn't primarily to create logical arguments.

I think this is very related to the point you mentioned about the potentially irrational, emotional nature of some intellectuals with a weak "function of the heart" so to speak -- in other words, they're detached from conceptualizing the more emotive aspects of consciousness, so that they remain emotional, and become insufficiently harmonized with reason.
Jung often emphasized how emotion=/= the feeling function, and I really think as someone who identifies as a T type, this is very analogous to how logic =/= the thinking function either -- rather these two functions, it's safe to say, bring feelings and logic respectively in harmony with reason, without which one has either the empty feelings of a haphazardly emotional being, or the pedantic logical formalism of a computer without the "spice" that turns it from logic into true reasoning.

There are many scientists out there who are engaged in all sorts of incredibly messed up stuff for example experimentation on humans and the creation of technology and bio-weapons that can kill and maim and control humans

They're not stupid clearly as they have a good grasp on complex information but they lack a moral anchor

Its like they have had a heart bypass

And now we know that the heart DOES speak to the brain so perhaps old sayings like: 'so and so is heartless' or 'i have a broken heart' or 'she spoke from the heart' and so on have some actual grounding in our anatomy

The chakra system too has also been correlated by some with the various glands in our body

So the 'spiritual' path is really the heart path

In fact on the qabalistic tree of life the solar chakra or heart sephiroth is associated with jesus. This sephiroth must be passed through to access the supernal triangle above....as jesus says: ''no one comes to the father but through me''

Well yeah...if you don't connect with your heart you ain't gonna have any spiritual experiences!

In the biblical symbology jesus hangs on the cross between two theives

Jesus represents the heart and mankind on the cross of matter (our 'physical' reality) and the 2 thieves are the mind and the generative organs both of which seek to steal virtue from the heart

The heart then is the mediator between these two corrupting influences in our lives

We've all heard the saying: ''such and such thinks with his dick''....well that is someone who is centred in their base chakras (generative organs)

Equally we all know that there is nothing more dangerous than intellect that is not anchored to heart because it wants to do crazy things like kill people it doesn't like or build nuclear bombs or enslave everyone etc

This is really why the mystery schools have been shut down by the black lodge who want everyone to EXTERNALISE their focus and worship outer things instead of trying to perform alchemy on their own beings and undergo their own spiritual growth or what Jung would call INDIVIDUATION so that they can then take right action in the world

Of course symbols are multi-layered and multi-meaning so jesus on the cvorss could also be the pineal gland between the two hemispheres of the brain (among other things)

Last edited:
[MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION]
Is it appropriate to label this beliefs as New Age? Just curious!

No not appropriate

They are Old Age! lol

Very old

Hahaha! Yeah, yea.
But is it what they so often choose to call "New Age" then? Please, for the sake of conversation, converse with me.

Hahaha! Yeah, yea.
But is it what they so often choose to call "New Age" then? Please, for the sake of conversation, converse with me.

No not appropriate

They are Old Age! lol

Very old

My objection to the 'new age' is the EXTERNALISATION aspect that we often see where people speak about things outside of themself

What i'm talking about are things within yourself that then affect the outer (the inner and outer being linked)

It doesn't mean i'm against everything in the 'new age' arena i just take a strong objection to it when it becomes another externalising literal religion

Last edited:
No not appropriate

They are Old Age! lol

Very old

My objection to the 'new age' is the EXTERNALISATION aspect that we often see where people speak about things outside fo themself

What i'm talking about are things within yourself that then affect the outer (the inner and outer being linked)

It doesn't mean i'm against everything in the 'new age' arena i just take a strong objection to it when it becomes another externalising lietarl religion

Okey, thank you! :m178:

Now back to topic! :m027:

[h=1]Mark Passio - 15 New Age Deceptions[/h]

[video=youtube;mbZQyUUyaRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbZQyUUyaRQ[/video]

Is there really a dichotomy between heart and intellect? What do we mean by asking "do you take descisions from your brain or heart?" or alike? Sometimes I think we tend to make this unfortunate dichotomy even though it's not necessary: wouldn't it be smart to be kind? And wouldn't it be kind to be smart? etc.

What is heart and what is intellect all together?

I don't know.

It's a shame that we separate our emotions from what we call logic. We can't do anything without both inputs. Denying either one of the two is degrading the awesome nature of our species.

What is logic and heart? It's one and the same. Ethics and logic aren't separate entities. Like how you can't stop making judgments and decisions every second of your life, it's just something that we have to accept and come to terms with.

I honestly can't answer your question. Sorry!

I'd buy that hat..

[video=youtube;u5HOt0ZOcYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HOt0ZOcYk[/video]

Reactions: say what