INFP's: how do you experience intuition? | INFJ Forum

INFP's: how do you experience intuition?

I have this same problem, trying to figure out INFP intuition. I can't say it's a sense of knowing. I pick up on some, not all things, by observing and processing information coming in. I do notice things about people which they are not conscious about and I take for granted everyone sees what I see. But I'm not sure if this is just basic observation skills which everyone has or a unique INFP intuition.

Ne (extraverted intuition) for INFPs

9Aug
Been wondering what is Ne exactly for INFPs, seems like I hardly come across any good observations of Ne. I would guess Ne comes about as problem solving:

It is usually a feeling.
i feel uncomfortable or uneasy or even certain and then have to retrace my perceptions to revaluate what observations or info I have in order to comprehend or verbalize it. (maybe that is Te? Or would that be Ne backing up Fi?)

Then there are instances where I perceive a gap in a sequence of info and have to dig to find it. I also do a lot of speculating or putting two and two together and I am right a lot of the time when I do that. I'm also pretty random. My bf is enfp and our conversations consist of humorous word salad- like we have our own language.

Last edited:
It is usually a feeling.
i feel uncomfortable or uneasy or even certain and then have to retrace my perceptions to revaluate what observations or info I have in order to comprehend or verbalize it. (maybe that is Te? Or would that be Ne backing up Fi?)

Then there are instances where I perceive a gap in a sequence of info and have to dig to find it. I also do a lot of speculating or putting two and two together and I am right a lot of the time when I do that.

I don't think that rings a bell with me. Could you elaborate?

I'm also pretty random. My bf is enfp and our conversations consist of humorous word salad- like we have our own language.

I don't think I'm that random. I do like to brainstorm especially when the other person is on the same track as me and we hardly need words to explain what we think. I love that. Other then that I get annoyed when people jump from subject to subject

Reactions: endersgone
I don't think I'm that random. I do like to brainstorm especially when the other person is on the same track as me and we hardly need words to explain what we think. I love that. Other then that I get annoyed when people jump from subject to subject

+1

I don't think that rings a bell with me. Could you elaborate?

I'll try.
Usually it happens when I am uncomfortable around a person, or with an idea.
I tend to have strong reactions to things, which I have to go back and work through to understand before making a decision or taking action..because sometimes I'm wrong and I'm just having that reaction because the schema doesn't fit into my frame of reference.

As for the randomness, it's all based on connections in our immediate reality.. kind of like:
• Everything is perceived in a context of a web of relationships. Nothing stands alone or is disconnected.
I also really like jumping from subject to subject in conversation because I tend to see things holistically... and enjoy being able to make deep connections to a variety of subjects and topics.
I like to build or scaffold things, mentally.

Reactions: Gaze
My INFP friends - dear and warm friends that they are - seem often divided themselves. They seem to know when I myself am divided and often move toward me with affection in some such cases. Sometimes, they are attracted to me, because I have outward confidence, and I feel decisive and "whole". And whereas others around me do not see it, the INFPs tend to fall silent, observing me with a sense of awe.

Is the INFP Fi often used to perceive whether a person is "divided" and "hesitant"? I often sense dividedness and lack of confidence through observation, but I don't know whether this is because of Ni or Fe.

I have a classmate also who I have recently typed as INFP. His shyness, softness, and unspokenness seem to rule out the possibility of an INTJ, though not necessarily that of an INTP. I have a classmate who is self-reported as being INTP; and although INTPs can be shy, they are not shy about talking one on one, in class or out of class. (I may be inferring too much from a few "case studies" of INFPs, INTPs, etc.)

Last edited:
I'll try.
Usually it happens when I am uncomfortable around a person, or with an idea.
I tend to have strong reactions to things, which I have to go back and work through to understand before making a decision or taking action..because sometimes I'm wrong and I'm just having that reaction because the schema doesn't fit into my frame of reference.

As for the randomness, it's all based on connections in our immediate reality.. kind of like:

I also really like jumping from subject to subject in conversation because I tend to see things holistically... and enjoy being able to make deep connections to a variety of subjects and topics.
I like to build or scaffold things, mentally.

This rings really true for me as well. My boyfriend is also ENFP. :) It is good fun, isn't it?

Reactions: acd
Is the INFP Fi often used to perceive whether a person is "divided" and "hesitant"? I often sense dividedness and lack of confidence through observation, but I don't know whether this is because of Ni or Fe.

Does this mean that our perceiving function as INFPs is Fi. Interesting way to look at it. I know I can perceive things about someone's underlying feelings and it's difficult to ignore. Maybe it's that Ne/Fi combo which gives us our version of ESP. *ponders*

I have this same problem, trying to figure out INFP intuition. I can't say it's a sense of knowing. I pick up on some, not all things, by observing and processing information coming in. I do notice things about people which they are not conscious about and I take for granted everyone sees what I see. But I'm not sure if this is just basic observation skills which everyone has or a unique INFP intuition.

Mine is hard to explain. I pick up on people so much so and so instinctively it almost scares me. The best way I can describe it is the sensation of information popping into my head. Almost like they are subconsciously sending me their thoughts. I use this for mostly good. I swear.......lol.

I cannot say that my intuition is like I "somehow" knew stuff, or had a gut feeling about something. It's more like having several alternative thought processes going on simultaneously, sparring me. This might sound a bit creepy, but I often have arguments in my head between these alternatives, and that's how I develop my thinking. And that's why it's very difficult for me to take clear stance on something, before I've thought things through. And for the same reason, I take truths as truths as long as they're proven otherwise. This could be a result of TiNe as well as FiNe, though...

I cannot say that my intuition is like I "somehow" knew stuff, or had a gut feeling about something. It's more like having several alternative thought processes going on simultaneously, sparring me. This might sound a bit creepy, but I often have arguments in my head between these alternatives, and that's how I develop my thinking. And that's why it's very difficult for me to take clear stance on something, before I've thought things through. And for the same reason, I take truths as truths as long as they're proven otherwise. This could be a result of TiNe as well as FiNe, though...
Same for me. I don't think it sounds creepy. I play devil's advocate in my head all the time.

Same for me. I don't think it sounds creepy. I play devil's advocate in my head all the time.

Me too. Defining quality. My mind is a mess because I'm always thinking about a million and one scenarios or possibilities. What ifs? Yeah, you're normal. :D