INFP: The Truest NF? | INFJ Forum

INFP: The Truest NF?

knight in battle

Feb 28, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
I heard somewhere that INFPs are the truest NF type, whereas others say ENFP.

Some have said that INFJs are actually half way toward INTJ. There's no doubt that they are "look alikes" if we borrow from Socionics ideas, such that INFJs are NF but behave like INTJs.

On a 4-type division (NF, NT, SP, SJ), Feeling is the main distinction. From my first two observations, it seems that Fi (or Fi/Ne) is the truer expression.

Reactions: Gaze
if stereotype builds into minds of people, then yes whatever type fits the stereotype best gains the award.
if infj's were the majority of nf's, that would likely build stereotype around there only if people understood infj's in deep enough level.
ne + te makes infps very expressive of their fuzzy inside world, easily creating a stereotype.

I would have to agree with the OP. I am in a relationship with an INFP, and I definitely come off as the insensitive "INTJ" compared to him, and his idealism is at such a level that my realism becomes cynicism, or "doubt." I feel like I am crushing his dreams by emphasizing the practical, at times.

Reactions: Kgal and Gaze
[MENTION=5160]Vilku[/MENTION]

If population is key, then ENF's would represent all NFs. And perhaps since ENFJs are Fe's, they would tend to be less "different" in their environments. So wouldn't ENFP's be the standout stereotypes? or the withdrawn INFP who expresses basically the same thing as ENFPs?

I agree. Ne Te creates a very strong impression... for us, perhaps. Does Fe Se also create an impression? I horse around a lot (Se) in comfortable groups.

I definitely come off as the insensitive "INTJ" compared to him, and his idealism is at such a level that my realism becomes cynicism, or "doubt." I feel like I am crushing his dreams by emphasizing the practical, at times.
Dreams? What dreams do INFPs have? That's what their profiles say they have, but they never share their idealism with me. Conversely, all I hear from them is their telling me to be practical. :(

I feel like I'm the impractical one compared to my INFPs. I'm looking for my next long-term career/vocation, but meanwhile in the day to day, I don't actively seek employment income. They do work. Not that I don't keep my reserves in check.

It doesn't depend on the type, but the person of that type. Meaning I know some ENFPs who would make great stereotypes of the NF spectrum, where as my ENFJ friend would fit into the NF stereotype. I for example though, despite ENFJ, would not fit well into the NF stereotype.

idk its up to the people

Some have said that INFJs are actually half way toward INTJ. There's no doubt that they are "look alikes" if we borrow from Socionics ideas, such that INFJs are NF but behave like INTJs.

On a 4-type division (NF, NT, SP, SJ), Feeling is the main distinction. From my first two observations, it seems that Fi (or Fi/Ne) is the truer expression.

What are the characteristics of INFPs that make you think they're the "truest" NF?

I agree. We are both devil's advocates so we will often flip flop, and be each other's voice of logic. I definitely think, age, sex, life experience, and mental state play into how a person behaves within the spectrum of type.

What are the characteristics of INFPs that make you think they're the "truest" NF?
If Feeling is the main distinction of the NF world, then perhaps Fi must be the best expressed ideal of "self-actualization". And since Fi is the dominant function for INFPs, they must be the truest. Fe is also expressive of feeling, but their "self-actualization" is by default for others unless they learn to do it for themselves. Moreover, Fe is influenced by and responds to others. (This is not to deny that Fi is also dominant in SFJs, but we are concerned about NFs here.) One of the reasons why Fe's "lose themselves" is because of Fe converts you into someone else---perhaps in an internalized manner (although apparently some people call ENFPs "chameleons"---perhaps only outwardly). If our Feeling is primarily not emanating from ourselves (Fi), how can this make for a genuine NF?

Stephen Montgomery in his book, The Pygmalion Project: The Idealist (0960695494),describes INFPs first (then ENFPs, INFJs, ENFJs, respectively; so the order is Fi-Ne, Ne-Fi, Ni-Fe, Fe-Ni). Why? Why mention NFJs last? And why ENFJs last? Is it purely arbitrary? Is it most logical to describe them first? Is it because they are the least "imposing" ("directive") of all NFs?

I agree. Of course there will be much individual difference within type but I think maybe:
INFP- NF more idealistic
INFJ- NT more rational
ENFP- SP more spontaneous
ENFJ- SJ more society and norm orientated
Theres no real justification for my idea, its just a thought. Sorry for the grave stereotypes

What on earth is the "truest NF type"? Sounds a little INFP to say other types are "less true"... ;D True to themselves? true to nebulous feeliness? NFs are either Feeling dominated: INFP (Fi) & ENFJ (Fe) or Intuition led: INFJ (Fi) & ENFP (Fe)

My socionics type is INFp which is the result for an INFJ who's feeling and thinking scores on the MBTI are close to eachother. The reason you may say INFJs are like INTPs (which many INTPs I'm sure do not agree with) is because from a feelings led INTP perspective the intuition led INFJ seems less feely. It's true from that perspective. The feeling and thinking scores are quite close.

Feeling is not the main distinction in my opinion. Some Ss are very very feely.
NFs are called NFs and not just Fs because they are distinct by the presence of both N and F. What makes the "truest" NF is a matter of personal opinion. I don't see how it can be argued.

If Feeling is the main distinction of the NF world, then perhaps Fi must be the best expressed ideal of "self-actualization". And since Fi is the dominant function for INFPs, they must be the truest. Fe is also expressive of feeling, but their "self-actualization" is by default for others unless they learn to do it for themselves. Moreover, Fe is influenced by and responds to others. (This is not to deny that Fi is also dominant in SFJs, but we are concerned about NFs here.) One of the reasons why Fe's "lose themselves" is because of Fe converts you into someone else---perhaps in an internalized manner (although apparently some people call ENFPs "chameleons"---perhaps only outwardly). If our Feeling is primarily not emanating from ourselves (Fi), how can this make for a genuine NF?
And furthermore... :m197:
INFJs are not necessarily LOST, because they Fe. You're totally missing something integral. I personally don't equate what's me in me with my feelings. I base my self-actualization on other things. Ni is also pretty self-contained you know...

I think the basic premise is true. I don't think this argument is about INFPs being the best or highest form NFs. I think the argument is that INFPs are the most idealistic of all the types, which seems to be true in most cases. If you put an INFP against any other type, whether ENFJ, INFJ, SPs, then yeah, they are probably, the most NF of all the types. Not that all INFPs are very idealistic. I don't think it's about their Fi. I think it's more about the combination of Ne+Fi.

Reactions: hush and mochi
Idealistic in what way though?
I'm idealistic in a "there's an unpersonafied, unknown god and a more real noumenal existence" kinda way and it does actually influence all my life choices. That's how I'm idealistic.
Do you mean overtly idealistic? Help me out here.

Last edited by a moderator:
And furthermore... :m197:
INFJs are not necessarily LOST, because they Fe. You're totally missing something integral. I personally don't equate what's me in me with my feelings. I base my self-actualization on other things. Ni is also pretty self-contained you know...
Self-contained Ni. Yes. I can see how that might work. I go into these Ni modes of idea-exploration when feeling is minimal.
What do you base your self-actualization on?

Listen I love the unhampered innocence of idealism. It reminds me of how I viewed love, marriage, dream career, etc., before having actually lived. I don't wish to kill my infp's imagination, and the way he thinks things should be. I used to harbor those ideals, too, and nobody could have convinced me that I was setting myself up for disappointment. I just KNEW my dream was out there! I just want to ground him a little. I wish I had been more open to balance, and grey areas. I just want him to succeed, I don't wish to jade him.

Reactions: mochi and Gaze
I find myself nodding at a lot of what has been said in this thread.