Information about enneagram 4w3 | INFJ Forum

Information about enneagram 4w3

U

Untitled

Hi!
I thought I'd create this thread for those looking for info on the enneagram type 4w3. If you have links, quotes or other information, please feel free to contribute. :)

four with three wing

general description

Average 4/3 is emotionally spicy. Because of the conflict between the three-wing's desire to be in the spotlight and the four's self-conscious fear of exposure, they may alternate between extremes of extroversion and introversion. Unlike the cooler 3/4s, 4/3s may find it difficult (if not impossible) to stay calm when emotions come up. They are more likely to talk about their overwhelming feelings than the much more rational, analytical, withdrawn 4/5s.

balanced and transcendent states

Balanced 4/3 finds the peace of equanimity. When four integrates to one and three integrates to six, deep compassionate wisdom is augmented by a feeling of brotherhood and belonging. Finally, the 4/3 reaches a point where comfort is possible without being tormented by a desire that others recognize that special uniqueness. Others who are feeling emotional difficulty can find sensitive, unselfish understanding in a balanced 4/3.

When 4/3 becomes deeply self-aware, there is a feeling of tremendous emotional integrity. Others feel that they are genuinely being heard, but not judged in any way. Somehow the advanced 4/3 manages to be both an equal and a teacher, both a sympathetic listener and a disciplined advisor. Real transformations happen in the lives of those who tell their stories to such people. People become powerfully motivated to find the real meaning in their lives.

unbalanced and unhealthy states

Unbalanced 4/3 swings through wild emotional cycles. As fourish emotionality gets more out of control, bringing in the selfish expectations of special treatment of the unhealthy two, the three-wing's nineish tendencies cause a kind of split within the psyche. The more intensely the dramatized pseudo-emotions are felt, the less in touch the 4/3 becomes with the real, honest feelings that lie underneath. The dramatic emotions become more and more staged and false.

In the unhealthy extreme, there is little actual contact with real feelings, despite the possibly awe-inspiring intensity of the outward expression. All the theatrical emotionality is a fearful cover for an inner emptiness that will not go away. Extremely unbalanced 4/3 has become so attached to the outward expression of the false emotions that the real feelings are overwhelmed and drowned out. The conviction of being hopelessly flawed may lead to desperate attempts to end it all with suicide, almost always in some dramatic, attention-grabbing way. I'm a hopeless romantic, unable to live a normal life. I might as well end it all right now, because no one will ever understand my torment. At least then, others might see the depth of my pain.

physical appearance

4/3 is the type most interested in a really artful, tastefully unique presentation. They often like to combine black and bright colors. 4/3s are usually thin to medium in build, although there are some exceptions. The females often wear their hair in some way that gives it a lot of body, such as shoulder-length (or longer) curls. Both sexes like to dress up. Some of the most outrageous costumes ever seen in ordinary public places are on 4/3s (the rest are on sevens).

callings

Some 4/3s find work that brings out their interest in aesthetics and artistic expression. Novelists, musicians, painters, poets, actors, dancers. Graphic designers, fashion consultants, interior designers, restaurant managers. Others express themselves more privately, outside of work, becoming secretaries, middle-managers, retail salespeople. There are 4/3 career advisors, guidance counsellors and psychologists. Of course, 4/3s can also be found doing many other kinds of work.

http://mindheart.org/junction/oldcj/ep/types/4/43.html

Instinctual variants of type four
The Romantic (the Four)

Romantics have a strong need to express themselves and to be seen as original.

Self-Preservation Fours: "Dauntless"

I crave intensity and stimulation in order to feel alive and avoid the dullness and meaningless of a mundane existence.
I am attracted to being close to birth, death, catastrophe, and serious illness.
I have plunged into dangerous situations, for example, taking physical risks, breaking laws or rules, taking chances with my money, engaging in promiscuity, or entering into unhealthy relationships.
I can be determined and persevering in pulling myself and others through crises.
I rebel strenuously when people attack my ideals, tell me what to do, or try to change me. I may hurl sarcastic remarks or fly into a rage.
I focus intently on my creative work or causes.
I can see myself excluding everything else that is going on around me and ignoring the necessities of day-to-day survival while I pursue my goal.
I like to point out angles that others have not thought of.
I take great offense when people assume they know what I think and how I feel.

Relational Fours: "Competition and Envy"

I envy people who seem happier, more fulfilled, or more intersting than I am, particularly those whose assets are similar to mine.
When having problems in a relationship, I am more likely to become depressed than angry.
I want my partner to experience our relationship as unique and intense.
I'm attracted to what is distant and unattainable.
I long, or have longed, for a soul mate or Prince or Princess Charming to come along and rescue me from an ordinary life.
I frequently get my partner to leave, then try to win him or her back. This push and pull creates drama and pain, keeps renewing the distance I want, and gives me the feeling that I am in control.
Getting close frightens me because my loved one might discover that I don't measure up to the ideal.
I sometimes feel I'm not special enough to be truly loved.

Social Fours: "Shame"
Shame, as we use it here, means embarrassment, humiliation, and lack of self-respect.

I feel ashamed of not measuring up to my vision of the ideal: not being bright or creative enough, not contributing to humanity, or not having a fulfilling relationship.
I die over each mistake or faux pas I make.
I often feel inadequate socially and either try to pour on charm and confidence or blend into the woodwork.
I'm always analyzing myself: Did I make myself understood? Did I sound stupid? Was I too aggressive? Was I too conciliatory?
I have dreams of achieving tremendous status and recognition in order to get revenge on those who have put me down or laughed at me.
I am very sensitive to being shamed or slighted. It devastates me to be excluded from a gathering or event that acquaintances or friends are attending.
Sometimes I say things against myself to try to deflect envy.
I feel less awkward when I fill a definite position in the group by demonstrating that I'm an authority on something or by making a strong statement about who I am by the way I dress.

http://www.9types.com/descr/4/baron2.html

More on 4w3

Four with a Three-Wing
“The Aristocrat”

The combination of the Four and the Three produce a subtype which is both emotionally volatile and contradictory. While the two types may on the surface appear opposite, they have a lot in common, and if properly used can do much to offset their individual weaknesses. Fours are often introverted, withdrawn, and self absorbed, but Threes tend to be extroverted, interpersonal, and goal oriented. The Four’s fear of success is the opposite of the Three’s competitive desire for success. The Four’s introverted self-consciousness is opposite of the Three’s charm and extroverted social skills. As different as these two types are, both are concerned with self image and self-esteem issues. Fours tend to develop a self image which is private: they try to become an idealized image through their imagination and feelings. Threes develop a more public self-image and try to get others to validate its reality through their achievements. These opposing personality traits can coexist in the same person, although not easily.

Because of the Three-wing, healthy people of this subtype can be sociable, ambitious, and accomplished, particularly in the arts. They have both creativity and the drive to make their mark in the world. They are in touch with who they are and who they are becoming, but with a more extroverted dimension to them. In general, Fours tend to be private and not particularly action-oriented, but with a healthy Three-wing, this impulse is tempered by their desire to improve themselves and accomplish. To do this they know they must work hard, and they must be involved with people. The Three-wing also makes them more goal-oriented, sociable, and aware of interpersonal “politics” then the Five-wing. They want to be successful, but distinctive, and are willing to put in the necessary work to actualize their dreams. While both the subtypes of the Four are highly creative, the Four with the Three-wing is more aware of creating with an audience in mind. They are adaptable, sensitive to others, and have a good sense of humor.

When average, people of this subtype may be helped out of their self absorption by concern for what others think of them. They have the ability to project a favorable image, and they are able to conceal their real emotional condition more effectively than the other subtype. Others may not realize how vulnerable or emotionally troubled they may be. They are competitive and interested in making something of themselves in the world, but they may fear success, and possible humiliation. Depending on how much of the Three-wing is operative, this subtype also has a strong need for attention and admiration which may serve to motivate their behavior. There is a strong sense of the romantic in them and that tends to heighten their sense of drama. If their needs are unfulfilled in reality, their desires for success can play a part in their fantasy life and become a focal point for disappointments. They like to surround themselves with objects and settings which provide them with a sense of refinement and culture. Having “good taste” becomes highly important and they see themselves as more sophisticated and high class than the people around them-especially their families. The Three-wing adds a strong desire to please others and they tend to be more responsive to others suggestions and help, but can also resent it.

Since unhealthy persons of this subtype are still fundamentally Fours, they take out their aggressions mainly on themselves. They are self-inhibited and feel alienated from others. There may be moments when they act like an unhealthy Three, being hostile and malicious. The desire to ruin others which we find in Threes is frequently thought about, but usually not acted on.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/4w3?before=1312444805

A good description of enneagram four in general.
IV. Developmental Progression of Type Four

Early in life, the Type Four is sensitive to the concept of origin. “Origin” is the idea that everything in the universe came from the same origin point, and thus, everything is part of a whole. In a spiritual sense, this is the idea that all spiritual beings are fundamentally connected to each other.

The material world (life) corrupts this ideal into the delusion that unity is a lie and everyone is fundamentally fragmented and separated.

The Four relies on envy to give the illusion of unity; envy is used as a way to connect to others in a counter-productive fashion.

The Four’s virtue, equanimity (calmness, composure) leads them to their growth point of One.

V. Wings

Enneagram theorists quickly discovered that each Enneagram type can have traits of the types around it. This is called “wing theory”, and while some theorists dispute the finer points of it, it's generally agreed that each type has a connection to the types around it and one of these connections will be dominant. For example, Type Two is surrounded by Types One and Three. Someone could therefore be a Two with a One Wing (Two as their main type with some Type One traits), or a Two with a Three Wing (Two as their main type with some Type Three traits.) The notation for this is 2w1 and 2w3, respectively. It is generally held that one wing is more dominant than the other; while you may have traits of both wings, one is more pronounced. Some believe that you can have balanced (equal) wings, but this Enneagram type description operates under the “dominant wing” theory, which is the most prevalent in the Enneagram community.
Type Four shares wings with Type Three (4w3) and Type Five (4w5). Both like to feel unique and creative, but they go about it in different ways.

Type Four with a Three Wing:
Type Three is associated with the desire to appear successful, and the Three Wing means that a 4w3 has a very vibrant and flashy personality. They are unique and they want everyone else to know it. They may exude this uniqueness in ways they don’t even consciously perceive; there seems to be an element of it in everything they do. They tend to be outgoing and many 4w3s are extroverts.
4w3s strongly desire to live up to their idealized image.

Type Four with a Five Wing:
Type Five is associated with detached observation, so the 4w5 is a more sedate and contemplative version of the 4w3. 4w5s find it easier to get lost within their own heads, and may identify themselves as dreamers or idealists. They are less likely to flaunt their individuality to others, and in fact, may often be oblivious to other people because they spend so much time in their heads.
4w5s possess a sense of emptiness due to their detached Five wing.

http://personalitycafe.com/type-4-f...-four-individualist-timeless-description.html

This guy is a 4w3 personality IMO :D.
[video=youtube;48aFJVMh_8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48aFJVMh_8Q[/video]

Reactions: 1 person
more on enneagram four in general:
In the artist of all kinds I think one can detect an inherent dilemma, which belongs to the co-existence of two trends, the urgent need to communicate and the still more urgent need not to be found....

What more fruitful way to redressing the balance than by portraying one's inner world in a work of art and then persuading other people to accept it, if not as real, at least as highly significant? Part of the satisfaction which a creative person obtains from his achievement may be the feeling that, at last, some part of his inner life is being accepted which has never been accorded recognition before. Moreover, since art became an individual matter rather than a task for anonymous craftsmen, creative work is generally recognized as being especially apt for expressing the personal style of an individual (which is of course closely related to his inner world). The value we place upon authenticity is often exaggerated; yet there is a sense in which it is justified. However good a painting or a piece of music may be, taken quite apart from its creator, the fact that it is or is not another expression of the personality of a particular artist is important. For it either is or is not an addition to our knowledge of that artist; a further revelation of that mysterious, indefinable and fascinating thing–his personality. (D. W. Winnicott, quoted in Anthony Storr, The Dynamics of Creation, 58.)

The nature of creativity will probably always remain mysterious because its basis is irrational–in the feelings and unconscious of those who create–and because, as Winnicott notes, part of the motive for creating is to remain concealed, to be unfound by others. Yet the motives given for artistic work–to communicate and to conceal the self–are but two possible motives which any person may have for creating. These two motives are, however, particularly appropriate to the Four, the artistic temperament among the personality types. Of course, members of any other personality type can become artists in the sense of making a livelihood by producing works of art, however that is defined. Fours, however, are in search of their identities, and art is the foremost means they have of finding themselves, as well as their way of reporting to the world what they have discovered.
Word.
In healthy Fours, however, the rich life of the unconscious becomes accessible and is given shape. More than any other personality type, healthy Fours are the bridge between the spiritual and the animal in human nature because they are so aware of these two sides of themselves. They sense in themselves the depths to which human beings can descend, as well as the heights to which they can be swept up. No other personality type is as habitually aware of the potentials and predicaments of human nature: human beings are spiritual animals occupying an uneasy place between two orders of existence. Fours sense both sides of their potentially conflicting natures, and they suffer intensely or are ecstatic because of them. This is why, at their best, healthy Fours create something which can move others deeply because they have been able to get in touch with the hidden depths of human nature by delving deeply into their own. By doing so, they transcend themselves, and are able to discover something universal about human nature, fusing personal conflicts and divergent feelings into art.

But, like everyone else, most Fours do not live at the peak of their potential. In response to anxiety, they turn inward, becoming self-conscious, particularly about the negativity they discover in themselves. To offset their negative feelings, they use their imaginations to make their lives more bearable. As a result, average Fours begin to withdraw from ordinary life. They become self-absorbed and do not learn how to relate to people or how to manage in the practical world. They feel like outsiders, somehow flawed and different from others, unable to break through the barrier of self-consciousness that separates them from easy commerce with the world.
True dat.
The difficulty is that average Fours may not know what their feelings are until after they have expressed them personally or artistically. But if they express all that they feel, they fear that they may reveal too much, exposing themselves to shame or punishment. On the other hand, by not expressing their feelings, average Fours undermine the possibility of discovering themselves by getting caught in endless self-absorption. They become aware of being aware of themselves–their consciousness is filled with little more than fantasies and memories, ultimately leading to illusions, regrets, and a wasted life.
Yep.
Self-knowledge became their most important goal, the means by which they hoped to fit into the world. Fours felt that if they could discover who they are, they would not feel so different from others in the deep, essential way that they do. However, instead of creating themselves through introspection, Fours ironically become trapped in self-consciousness. Their self-consciousness alienates them, making them feel vulnerable and arouses their aggressions at themselves and others, particularly their parents. But because they also feel powerless to express their aggressions or to do anything about their condition, they withdraw from their parents and from others, turning their aggressions mostly against themselves.
Uh-huh.
On a deep, unconscious level Fours are hostile toward their parents because they feel that their parents did not nurture them properly. Fours feel that they were not welcomed into the world; they feel out of place, unwanted–and they are deeply enraged at their parents for doing this to them. However, their rage at their parents is so deep that Fours cannot allow themselves to express it. They fear their own anger, and so withhold it, trying to come to terms with it themselves.

As awareness of their hostility and negative feelings gradually wears them out, average to unhealthy Fours sink ever more deeply into self-doubt, depression, and despair. They spend most of their time searching for the courage to go on living despite the overwhelming sense that the essential flaw in themselves is so deep that it cannot be healed. Indeed, the feeling of hopelessness is the current against which they must constantly swim. And if the undertow of hopelessness is too strong, unhealthy Fours either succumb to an emotional breakdown, or commit suicide because they despair of ever breaking free of it.

As soon as Fours devote themselves to a search for self by withdrawing from life, they are going in the wrong direction. No matter how necessary this search may seem to them, they must become convinced that the direct search for self is a temptation which eventually leads to despair.

On the other hand, what makes healthy Fours healthy is not that they have freed themselves once and for all from the turbulence of their emotions, but that they have found a way to ride that current to some further destination. Healthy Fours have learned to sustain their identities without exclusive reference to their feelings. By overcoming the temptation to withdraw from life to search for themselves, they will not only save themselves from their own destructiveness, they will be able to bring something beautiful and good into existence. If they learn to live this way, Fours can be among the most life-enhancing of the personality types bringing good out of evil, hope from hopelessness, meaning from absurdity, and saving what appeared to be lost.
All this, and some, from http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeFourOverview.asp respectively.

More on type four:
Four
[Statistically, Fours are a predominantly introverted group. According to F/D, they share dominant intuition and inferior sensing with Sevens, a predominantly extraverted group.]

"The Artist. The intuitive, reserved type. Self-aware, sensitive, introspective, and gentle. Individualistic, expressive, and personal, but can also be too moody and self-conscious. They dwell in their fantasies, feeling different, melancholy, and exempt from ordinary ways of living. Become impractical, self-indulgent, and self-pitying; problems with self-inhibition. At their Best: Inspired and highly creative, they are able to renew themselves and transform their experiences." - Don Riso, 1994, "The Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator".

SPIRITUAL QUALITIES and DEFECTS

The enlightened quality associated with Fours (sometimes called 'Romantics') is what in Buddhist terminology is called 'insight into emptiness '. In Buddhism, 'emptiness' is a technical term that does not have negative connotations. When it is said that things are fundamentally empty it means that they lack 'inherent independent existence'. The direct experiential appreciation of emptiness is called 'Vipassana' (literally, 'insight') and it is a primary goal of certain forms of 'sitting' practice in meditation. This insight involves a direct appreciation of the mind's capacity for pure awareness, that is - the capacity to experience consciousness without an object.

In Eastern thought, it is out of the holistic objectless form of consciousness that everyday dualistic, object-oriented, consciousness arises. Objectless awareness is the ground state (alaya). To become aware of this level of consciousness it is necessary to drop habitual frameworks and patterns of perception, if only momentarily.

To discover the reality of being is to discover that it is no thing. As no thing it is like a crystal mirror that reflects everything. The narrowness of perception hemmed in on every side by ideas, opinions, and bolstered by fear, rarely allows the experiential realization that it is out of this being that is no-thing that one creates the reality of experience. Intuition provides insight that sees through the filtering screen of thoughts, images, and feelings to the formless context of experience. (Page 185, Awakening Intuition, Frances Vaughan)

Sometimes this 'no-thing' is described as 'pure awareness', the 'clear light' experience, or 'intrinsic awareness' (see Tarthang Tulku). It is reputed to be continually present even in ordinary consciousness (although we are typically unaware of it), and is sometimes experienced as the ineffable quality of awe, wonder, or mystery associated with everyday awareness. The phrase 'unborn mind' is often used to point to this aspect of experience. C.O. Evans, a contemporary western philosopher, uses the term 'unprojected consciousness' to refer to it.

In 1690, Zen Master Bankei spoke of 'the unborn' in this way:

What we call a 'thought' is something that has already fallen one or more removes from the living reality of the Unborn. If you priests would just live in the Unborn, there wouldn't be anything for me to tell you about it, and you wouldn't be here listening to me. But because of the unborn-ness of Buddha-mind, it readily reflects all things that come along and transforms itself into them, thus turning the Buddha-mind into thought.
..In the Unborn, all things are perfectly resolved....If anyone confirms that this unborn, illuminative wisdom is in fact the Buddha-mind and straight away lives, as he is, in the Buddha-mind, he becomes at that moment a living Tathagata [Buddha], and he remains one for infinite kalpas in the future. Once he has confirmed it, he lives from then on in the mind of all the Buddhas... (Page 35, The Unborn)

It is an attraction to the experience of emptiness and unborn mind that is at the core of the Four's fascination with that which is 'absent'. Fours appear to have a natural inclination toward experiences of formlessness and emptiness, and some understanding of intrinsic awareness. But enthrallment with objectless awareness can lead to the undesirable state described by some Zen practitioners as 'quiesence meditation' or 'the deep pit of liberation'. Zen Master Ta Hui implores his disciples, 'Don't cling to stillness':

Once you have achieved peaceful stillness of body and mind, you must make earnest effort. Do not immediately settle down in perfect stillness - in the Teaching this is called 'The Deep Pit of Liberation', much to be feared. You must make yourself turn freely, like a gourd floating on the water, independent and free, not subject to restraints, entering purity and impurity without being obstructed or sinking down. Only then do you have a little famiiarity with the school of the patchrobed monks. If you just manage to cradle the uncrying child in your arms, what the use? (Page 29, Swampland Flowers).
Even worse is the degenerate form of interest in emptiness called 'nihilism'. This is the D-quality associated with Type Four. The nihilist despairs that reality is devoid of meaningfulness, a mere 'nothingness', in the negative sense of the term . Insofar as the Four is especially susceptible to nihilism, she is also prone to depression. Confusing an interest in the 'presence of an absence' (emptiness) with the 'absence of a presence', the Four might mistake positive feelings associated with a glimpse into emptiness as a feeling of desire or longing for a something that is missing . A fascination with emptiness, when projected outward, can result in romantic cravings for objects not presently available, accounting for the common caricature of the Four as a 'tragic romantic'.

FOURS and INs

The INFJ is an introverted intuitive, prototypical of zone 4. She connects inwardly, using her intuitive capacity to perceive the infinite within. There is a 'spiritual' air to the INFJ, what might even be called a romantic 'absence'. She is not primarily 'in' the sensory world (due to her inferior sensory function) - she is in an interior world of intuitive vision and infinite possibility. Myers describes the INFJ as 'driven by their inner vision of possibilities' (p.110). Riso similarly describes the 4 as having a 'potential for intuition and ...self-revelation'. (p. 80)

Here is Von Franz's description of the 'inferior extraverted sensation' of Swedenborg, a mystic (and an introverted intuitive):

The inferior sensation of this type also has difficulties in noticing the needs of the body and controlling its appetites. Swedenborg had a vision in which God himself told him he should not eat so much! He ate naturally, without the slightest self-discipline and with complete awareness. Swedenborg was a typical introverted intuitive, the prophet or seer type, and he was simply coarse and uninhibited about over-eating...(41)
Von Franz also describes Neitsche's introverted-intuitive problem in approaching sex in a similarly uninhibited fashion (another bodily function capable of coming under the influence of the inferior sensing function steeped in the individual's 'unconscious').

In the same vein, Riso says of 4s that they can gradually come to feel different from others:

...and therefore exempt from living as others do. Self-pity leads to self-indulgence, to becoming melancholic dreamers, decadent and sensual, living in a fantasy world that repels any kind of pressure or intrusion. Increasingly impractical, unproductive, effete, petulant, and precious. (p. 70)
The role of the inferior sensing function is again emphasized (via a propensity toward 'sensual decadence').

http://tap3x.net/ENSEMBLE/typeframe.html

on type four instinctual variants...
The Instinctual Stackings of Enneatype Four

Self-pres/Social

This subtype is the least volatile and fiery of the type Four stackings. They can resemble type One in terms of their efficiency and practicality. Although their focus will be more on the emotional aesthetic, these Fours do have a considerable practical side. Less flashy than some of the subtypes of Four, they nevertheless have a quiet charm and developed sense of style. They are likely to value their possessions, to perhaps collect items of personal emotional significance. They may, for instance, have shelves and shelves of books and have a place for each book. This subtype can also resemble type Six in terms of having a great deal of anxiety. This anxiety often revolves around self-pres concerns such as those surrounding health issues and mortality. Their strong self-pres instinct also lends a degree of independence to this subtype. As the sexual instinct is least pronounced, this subtype of Four is prone to romanticize intimacy without actually pursuing real relationships. When healthy, these Fours can be very productive; when less healthy they might suffer from boughts of melancholy or self pity. The strong self-pres instinct however often helps these individuals to recognize how their state of mind is impacting their health and well being. This enables them to become action oriented.

Self/Sexual

This subtype also cares very much about their surroundings and their possessions. They feel as if these things help to express who they are. There is more of a passionate sense about them as compared to the self/soc. They have more of a sensual relationship with their environment. These Fours are much more tortured by their difficulty with respect to maintaining close relationships. The self-preservational instinct tends to be in conflict with the sexual instinct, causing this subtype to habitually analyze their relationships to the point where they find it difficult to be present to them. When unhealthy, these Fours can become very disdainful of the social environment. They also start to envy the ease with which others seem to form relationships and maintain friendships. When Fours of this subtype are healthy, they find that they can form relationships without feeling as though they are sacrificing authenticity. They no longer feel that they have to automatically define themselves as "different from others," as outside the group. They are able to see the ways in which their emotionality might cloud their better judgment and to use that insight to establish equilibrium.

Social/Self-pres

This subtype can mimic type One when it comes to social values. They can be harsh critics of the current mores. They have romantic ideals of what the world should be like; reality always falls short. Ironically, this type can be the most withdrawn of the Fours. Social anxiety combines with the Four's shame issues to make this type feel that the pressure associated with "fitting in" is just not worth it. They are also the most likely of the Fours to intellectualize their emotions and in this way resemble type Five.

The social instinct tends to give the personality a focus on being included, fitting in, or finding a way to make a valued contribution. This agenda conflicts with the Four's sense of being "different from" or "other than." The Four's need to establish a separate identity conflicts with the social instinct's drive towards inclusion. The social Four often deals with this dilemma by defining themselves as being outside the social system. By defining themselves always in terms of the system, even if it is to establish distance, this Four stays essentially tied to it. Fours with the social/self-pres stacking tend to acutely feel a sense of social shame at not quite belonging.

When this subtype is reasonably healthy, they are often gifted critics of the prevailing culture. They develop true insight into social dynamics and have an eye for the nuances and subtleties of social interactions. Many Four writers are soc/self.

Social/Sexual

This is overall the "lightest" type Four when it comes to social interaction. They are likely to utilize charm and humor. This type is more scattered and can be down right disorganized. They can drift through life always feeling like an outsider, yet they usually have friends. They can alternate from being the life of the party to withdrawing. Intimates will know of their insecurities and dark moody side while acquaintances will see a softer, friendlier side. This subtype’s energy is geared towards people, but they never feel as though they really fit in. They are often quite creative, talented people who have many interests, but they frequently lack the energy to actually accomplish what they would like. They can drift and withdraw very easily. When healthy and with the right support from friends (and perhaps a little push) they tap into their instinctual energy. When they do this, they begin to see how much they can accomplish. A positive connection to others helps them stay focused.

Sexual/Self-pres

This is a very volatile type. They are driven to form connections but have very high demands of their partners. When their powerful fantasies don’t match reality, they become very restless. They take the fire and passion of the sexual instinct and turn it inward. This can cause both brooding and fiery outbursts. Dramatic mood swings are very likely with this type. This subtype of Four could be considered the most classic Four, because of the way they seem to embody the archetype of the tortured artist, although not all Fours of this subtype are artists. Stereotype aside, this subtype does tend to bring their emotions into focus more readily then the other subtypes of Four. What is under the surface with the self-pres/sexual is now bubbling to the surface. This subtype can resemble type Seven because of their drama, passion for experience and tendency to suffer from frustration when life seems dull. Like type Seven, they can seem to throw themselves into experience.

When healthy, this subtype learns to balance the need for passion with the less obvious need for groundedness which can come from solid and focused relationships with others and with their creative outlets.

Sexual/Social

This subtype is able to connect with others and with life itself, but always with an undertone of volatility and a tendency to dramatize. They are the most involved and connected of the subtypes of Four. They can go from relationship to relationship, seemingly tortured by each one. They are the most driven of the subtypes of Four to express themselves publicly and type Four celebrities are commonly found with this stacking. This subtype has a real difficulty remaining grounded, partly due to the undeveloped self-pres instinct. Although they can appear almost Eight-like at times with their lust for life and desire for passionate experience, they lack the focus of the Eight and the instinctual energy that would keep them grounded. Sometimes alcohol or substance abuse can be a problem. These Fours become more healthy when they learn to control their impulsivenss and focus their energies.

http://www.ocean-moonshine.net/e142...er_op=view_page&PAGE_id=26&MMN_position=84:80

You're really revealing all my gooey insides for the world to see :m169:

Sexual/Self-pres

This is a very volatile type. They are driven to form connections but have very high demands of their partners. When their powerful fantasies don’t match reality, they become very restless. They take the fire and passion of the sexual instinct and turn it inward. This can cause both brooding and fiery outbursts. Dramatic mood swings are very likely with this type. This subtype of Four could be considered the most classic Four, because of the way they seem to embody the archetype of the tortured artist, although not all Fours of this subtype are artists. Stereotype aside, this subtype does tend to bring their emotions into focus more readily then the other subtypes of Four. What is under the surface with the self-pres/sexual is now bubbling to the surface. This subtype can resemble type Seven because of their drama, passion for experience and tendency to suffer from frustration when life seems dull. Like type Seven, they can seem to throw themselves into experience.

When healthy, this subtype learns to balance the need for passion with the less obvious need for groundedness which can come from solid and focused relationships with others and with their creative outlets.

You're really revealing all my gooey insides for the world to see :m169:
:whistle::wave:
Sexual/Social

This subtype is able to connect with others and with life itself, but always with an undertone of volatility and a tendency to dramatize. They are the most involved and connected of the subtypes of Four. They can go from relationship to relationship, seemingly tortured by each one. They are the most driven of the subtypes of Four to express themselves publicly and type Four celebrities are commonly found with this stacking. This subtype has a real difficulty remaining grounded, partly due to the undeveloped self-pres instinct. Although they can appear almost Eight-like at times with their lust for life and desire for passionate experience, they lack the focus of the Eight and the instinctual energy that would keep them grounded. Sometimes alcohol or substance abuse can be a problem. These Fours become more healthy when they learn to control their impulsiveness and focus their energies.
See I'm an impulsive exhibitionist. ...it seems I'm just pulling everyone's pants down while I'm at it. Ooops. :eyebrows:
I'll appease you and everyone who may feel exposed with an offering of an extra fluffy cute kitten:
:ms:
It's impossible to be upset when there's a kitten around.