INFJ'S In the military | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ'S In the military

Sounds like an expected scenario. It seems comparable to any situation where people have to bide their time and can't wait to get out of it.
How do you manage? Is there anything that cheers you up in the routine?

thats true I guess haha. well, hvaing a little pay helps, along with that I'm now with a fairly good and cooperative group helps. but if I could finish my service tomorrow I'd do it in a heartbeat! and after awhile I suppose you just get used to it :/

Reactions: knight in battle
I am an Officer in the Army and I love my job. In a world where I am surrounded by peers who are ENTJs, ISTJs, and ESTJs I feel proud to be different. Its really made me develop my extroverted feeling which can go very far for a leader. I feel that my Soldiers honestly appreciate being treated as a person and not a cog in the machine of progress. It can be difficult at times though. I really had to develop more of an assertive stance on things but I don't think hard work to become better at your job is a stranger to INFJs. I also have to be careful not to get burned out quickly. The Soldiers in the Company are constantly bringing their problems to me and I would love to help them solve them all, but it takes a lot of energy. I am getting better at that though. I think I may have a hero complex.

Back when I started ROTC in a military college I was kind of out of place. Didn't fit in well at first. Many saw me as awkward and out of place. By senior year though I had come a long way. I've learned that my greatest strengths that were appreciated as a leader were my positive attitude(even my goofy smile which I still am reminded of a lot) and the fact that it kills me not to lead by example. I can't stand leaders who don't live up to their standards they set for others and it happens more than it should.

I am currently a Company Executive Officer and I love my job. I was told that it was a thankless position that holds the responsibility of everything that the company unit does. Most people hate it but I love it. I get to work with some of the best people I know. Its a challenge working with supply, maintenance, and an admin section. I love developing my teams and ensuring that they get the resources that they need to do their job. I do find myself wishing I could do more for them. They appreciate me and remind me of that all the time. Although sometimes one of my Non Commissioned Officers reminds me that I am in charge, haha. My peers probably think I'm still awkward and different except for the ones I work directly with. The peers I work with directly respect my knowledge and ability to get things done even though its a bit different. From what I have learned an INFJs greatest strength as a military leader is to gain respect of followers because of their character not rank or authority and from what I know INFJs generally are great at developing their own character.

It can be a bit lonely though. My peers aren't idealists so there's only a few other officers I really hang out with outside of the work environment. And even then I have better friends back home. I'm stationed about six hours away from my friends and family so that makes it a bit tough. The moves between army posts around the country don't help either. Plus I'm pretty bad at the whole dating thing, but that's a different story. I don't think I would like being a staff Officer though. The day I can't lead Soldiers is the day I get out of the Army.

Reactions: JCPA
You cant spell "lost" without the "LT"

I thought about the military when I was younger - but there were too many people to deal with.

Last edited:
I am a INFJ that was in the Marine Corps, It ended up I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, Disthymia, and Major Depressive with a 30% Disability Rating through the US Department of Veterans Affairs. The experience was difficult and rare.

I am a INFJ that was in the Marine Corps, It ended up I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, Disthymia, and Major Depressive with a 30% Disability Rating through the US Department of Veterans Affairs. The experience was difficult and rare.

Does the thirty percent cover well enough for you, I have a couple of friends who are trying to get their rating to be bumped up?

Reactions: Unknown
Just enough to cover my child support payments, it's better than nothing for sure, I know it's possible to get re-evaluated and submit a claim for increased compensation but I honestly don't go to the VA hospital often because of age bias (which ironically triggers relapses in my bpd when I feel undermined), I am only 24 so you can imagine how the older veterans welcome me lol. With 30% you can at least get a free pair of prescription glasses, and free medication and treatment that's connected with your disability.

I was in the Army for four years. I LOVED my job, but grew tired of the system. Much of my displeasure was a result of poor leadership. It was hard to be happy when my command considered me a "geographical bachelorette" because I was married, even though my husband lived an hour and a half away in our home that we were renting (where he worked as a college football coach). Their solution was to stick to the "regs" and force me to live off post because married soldiers could not live in the same barracks as single soldiers, which meant that I now had to pay for two domiciles (my apartment and my house an hour and a half away). Life in garrison couldn't keep me happy. Life deployed...that was another matter, entirely. As long as I was doing my job and fulfilling my purpose it was great! Oh, and btw, I also worked for the forest service prior to joining the army. I did go to fire school, but I worked on a lookout tower, which suited me well. I loved being in the quiet spaces of the Clearwater National Forest. I love organization, but when leaders become too focused on strict adhereance to the rules rather than applying common sense when the situation calls for it...count me out. Oh...also related, I now work for the army as a civilian. I teach what I did while I was still in. I prefer one-on-one instruction, but sometimes the job calls for group instruction. I enjoy passing along my own experiences to help a soldier learn and prevent making the same mistakes I did. Civilian leaders with prior military service seem to understand that common sense is important, but know how to keep things organized and running smoothly. I'm happy where I am, now. :)

13 year Navy vet....

I have been an INFJ in the Navy for 13 years, and it is very, very difficult. It is workable, but very hard.

I'm not an INFJ but being in the military would kill my very being.

It doesn't matter what the role is, mechanic, firefighter, medic, etc. Each of them forms the nuts and bolts of the overall "war machine". As peaceful as you think you might be by being a medic or even a chaplain, you're still helping the organization kill hundreds of thousands of people around the globe. This is something that anyone with an over-developed conscience (Fe) is going to have problems coming to terms with.

It doesn't matter what the role is, mechanic, firefighter, medic, etc. Each of them forms the nuts and bolts of the overall "war machine". As peaceful as you think you might be by being a medic or even a chaplain, you're still helping the organization kill hundreds of thousands of people around the globe. This is something that anyone with an over-developed conscience (Fe) is going to have problems coming to terms with.

It is a little more complicated than that. Militaries do hurt, and that is inevitable, but in some cases those within the military can work to mitigate this. My job makes sure that as few people are harmed as possible. It is a difficult environment to exist in, and I do recognize it, but imhave found peace in it.

I am an INFJ and served 11 yrs in navy and marine corps. I have a strong sense of service and ambition and felt the need to do my part. Since I was and officer I had more control over what I felt was right and wrong. But still I suffered through repeated bouts of depression. I constantly ran up against my bosses who I felt were egomaniacal and had trouble communicating my ideas and feelings. Since infj's feel so intensely, I could never understand why others in the military where such assholes. The military was a constant struggle for me. I only recommend it if you are willing to sacrifice your independence for a while. Holding onto your beliefs will cause others to doubt your commitment to order and discipline. You will gain a ton of experience and will see the world (which was very worth it for me). I dont regret it but i am very relieved to be out. Now, I can't work for anyone else becaus I hate being told what to do. I am an entrepreneur where I can use my creativity and passion for what I see fit on a day to day basis. Good luck!

I agree bhodi. Without good people in the military, It would be a much more corrupt organization. I also used my position to teach young marines about responsibility of actions, about understanding the people, and that shooting or killing was a complete last resort. When you are on a convoy or a patrol, and people are shooting at you and bombs are blowing up around you... it takes a ton of courage to maintain your humanness. An infj in that situation can be an incredible leader because they feel what both sides are thinking and believing and they can calm the situation and prevent unnessessary killing. In that way they lift the organization to become more conscientious.

AirForce didn't want me. They simply never replied to my requests and follow ups. Who knows why. I don't care as much anymore.