INFJs and Overanalysis | INFJ Forum

INFJs and Overanalysis

trifire

Aug 16, 2014
MBTI
XNFX or INTP
Do you INFJs overanalyze alot?
idk why, but I am overanalyzing almost everything right now.

I know I overanalyze a lot myself. I do believe that it is a common INFJ trait because of our introverted intuition.

Yeah, the bane of my life. Even when I try not to do it, I find myself over analyzing my over analysis. Sometimes I really wish I could let some things go. At least I don't feel the need to drag others into it all the time... Well, not all the time, anyway.

Reactions: Alomoes
Yeah, the bane of my life. Even when I try not to do it, I find myself over analyzing my over analysis. Sometimes I really wish I could let some things go. At least I don't feel the need to drag others into it all the time... Well, not all the time, anyway.

That's so me, I over analyze my over analysis............I need help haha :)

[MENTION=11771]Dave Fallon[/MENTION] [MENTION=11054]missjayjay[/MENTION]

I also over analyze my over analysis. At least people can't accuse us of not thinking things through.

Last edited:
[MENTION=11771]Dave Fallon[/MENTION] [MENTION=11054]missjayjay[/MENTION]

I also over analyze my over analysis. At least people can't accuse of not thinking things through.

hahahaha yeah exactly

Every INxx can fall into that pit of over-analyzing and not acting enough.

I agree that I think it's the INxx - we live both in the future and past, which means we over-analyze what has happened, and it's implications...rather than living in the present. I'm terrible at this, but try to be conscious of it- and it does help.

Yes and near enough always I am right, or can make things right x

Do you INFJs overanalyze alot?

No i think many other types under analyse things

Most of the problems in the world wouldn't be able to exist if people were less ignorant

Many people could really do with looking at things a little deeper and it would transform our world, because all the bad stuff happens in the shadows and if people just looked a little deeper they'd see it and then it would have to stop

Yes, I abstractedly over-analyze self-emotions tied with spirituality blended with perception of others.

(your question had me ask myself why do I over-analyze)

I came to these forums with anxiety, below I answered it.

What a rabbit hole I went down... I perceived reality through the lens of fear- False Evidence Appearing Real. I have concluded there is absolutely no truth in fear other than the belief we allow ourselves to give it.

I have been led to discover that I believe I am right, respectfully and not out of ignorance. I have unconsciously accepted the responsibility of tolerating all beliefs that have been seeded in me. Beliefs which were words of others became unconditionally inherited to be associated with me. This began a spiral of over-analyzation which has rooted me heavily in my right hemisphere. My thinking pattern resembled a circle. I have not been able to rationalize my own belief by the assumption of other's beliefs'. I can appreciate other's beliefs' and yield them to sooth me in temporary emotional discomfort. However, there is not one belief which I have experienced that has validated me in some metaphysical sense. Stepping out of the circle of thoughts, I am being real with myself. Perhaps I'm alone, I thought this might help if if anyone comes across their over-analyzing to not be factually motivated, instead, selfishly insecure as I have falsely assumed something was wrong with me the entire time.

Silly rabbit...

If INFJs over-analyze, then I'd like to know what ENTPs do.

When is it fretting, and when is it procastination?

And is it a binary variable? Either or?

On some things, I fuss a great deal about things I have no control over. Like love. On others, I can't wait to skip the details and just discern the overall pattern to everything, and use that as a reference point. With certain tasks I get so overwhelmed with ideas that I can't get myself moving forward because I recognize all these areas that I have not yet covered, and I'm afraid of leaving things out.

unlike Js though, once I've worked through my idea, I'm happy. Executing and doing the dirty work is for all the peons out there. For me the challenge is in crafting and formulating the idea and maybe even the plan/strategy. Executing is not my thing.

I tend to overanalyze most often when it comes to social interaction. I don't know why I do this but I do. It can be excruciatingly action stopping. It doesn't even have to be a recent interaction, either!

I personally don't believe I overanalyse anything,
I don't think I pay much attention to things I do not believe to be worth analysing.
Topic that I find interesting I enjoy analysing over and over in my head, is that over analysing?
I don't feel that it is.
If I feel the need to analyse it in means I have not reached a solution for it that satisfy me and thus I need to keep analysing it.
But while I'm analysing it does not prevent me from experimenting according to what I feel.
It's not something I control my mind is always processing what my senses and memories feed to it.

I think it's true: Ni gives us a LOT to chew on, again and again. Meanwhile, Ti is constantly trying to categorize and re-categorize all the inner explosions that Ni comes up with.
So I would say it's not simply about analysis but equally about attempting to organize that analysis that is so exhausting.

I think constantly...I can't......turn....it......off........

Nor would I want to.

Yeah, the bane of my life.

It's the best of my life :p
Overanalysing (or rather analysing a lot) has learned me so much. I enjoy doing it too.
I also analyse my overanalysing and have come up with plans to mitigate the downsides. Having a plan/analysis doesn't help yet. You first need to execute it. Something we're all bad at I assume (at least I am).
So make a plan for executing! Analyse why you aren't executing your plans and make plans about executing. Analyse why you have problems doign that. Learn what others have done to overcome it.
I'll give away the secret there: Just do.

I'm still not good at that. I first need to analyse something thoroughly before I will do something and I allow myself to analyse that much. I enjoy it. But at some point you need to put the analysis to use.
Either way, there's so much benefits to analysing a lot.

One example is analysing myself so intensly that I can fool myself into becoming happy. The most basic example is smiling into the mirror. It instantly lifts your mood. You're fooling yourself. You know it and it works. I have plenty of mind tricks that work the same.

My high school physics teacher claimed in a discussion that intelligent people are cursed to be unhappier than non-intelligent people. A similar claim that world is wrong because wise people doubt and dumb people act. All wrong if you ask me. Intelligent people can learn to be happy. Wise people know they shouldn't always doubt.

Start simple. I dare you all to overanalyse this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/belle-beth-cooper/10-simple-things-to-be-happy_b_4241824.html

When is it fretting, and when is it procrastination?QUOTE]

I'm not ENTP, but I understand it like this: fretting comes out of a sense of uncertainty, procrastination comes out of lack of will/drive/desire/interest/need.

Generally, when there's a fail to implement on my part, it tends to be for one of two reasons. Either I'm thinking so much because I'm not confident I completely understand the situation and, therefore, I'm not really sure what course of action to take and the risks (in my mind) are just too great to do anything but pull the covers over my head and think some more. Or I've exhausted so much energy in formulating the idea, defining all the intricate details and planning each little step that I actually feel like I've done it already and I really don't want to 'do' it all over again by actually doing it for real... so I go do something else instead.

I think the situation and sometimes even the subject material itself will determine whether or not it's binary variable, more so than strictly ENTP or INFJ (if that's what you're meaning?) Just from what you've mentioned in your post, I can see different 'stakes' in each situation. I guess in the most basic of situations, you might enjoy crafting and formulating the idea so much so that the idea itself is the point of crafting and formulating the idea in the first place. If this is the case, it would only be natural for you to not execute when you're operating purely from that position. But things would get a little murkier when that simple pleasure is not the only factor at play in you. And if 'doing' is something that's not natural to you (in the respect that it's not necessarily a given - not everyone thinks for the pure pleasure of thinking!) It would make sense to me that you might fuss a lot in certain situations and even end up overwhelmed by your own ideas at times.

So, to me, it's not as simple as ENTP's are procrastinators or INFJ's are over-analysers (not that anyone here is actually saying that, but I hope you get what I mean anyway). It's more about what a person is trying to achieve in a specific situation and how their natural tendencies aid/impede them.

Yes.

As ISFJ I overanalyze to death past experiences and spend way too much time playing over events in my mind to determine what I could have done differently to get a better result. Mostly my attention focuses on past events that ended badly, in one form or another. What details did I miss? What turning points went by where I could have reacted differently and thus influenced the outcome for the better? I worry about future events and and think immediately of worst case scenarios. It takes time and concentration for me to steer my thoughts into realizing that things might end up working out for the best, and at the very least probably won't be as bad as I imagine. Then I wonder what purpose my thoughts have if most of that they do is cause me to worry.