INFJs and conspiracy theories

Mungbean

Regular Poster
Dec 15, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've seen mentions around that INFJs are the type who are most likely to believe conspiracy theories. Is there any substance to that claim?

An INFJ by the name of Muir used to come here, but I think he's banned. He was quite into a few theories that are commonly considered conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Free
Not me. My ESFJ friend is the biggest conspiracy theorist I know and it drives me crazy.

I'm sceptical of everything, including conspiracy theories.

I find it ironic when people believe the information they read on conspiracies, and explain that they believe it because they don't trust the mainstream media, but don't realize that there is no more evidence or reason to believe the channels that promote the conspiracy stuff than the mainstream media.

Not me. My ESFJ friend is the biggest conspiracy theorist I know and it drives me crazy.

I'm sceptical of everything, including conspiracy theories.

I find it ironic when people believe the information they read on conspiracies, and explain that they believe it because they don't trust the mainstream media, but don't realize that there is no more evidence or reason to believe the channels that promote the conspiracy stuff than the mainstream media.

Interesting. My ESFJ friend is also completely convinced multiple woo woo conspiracy theories are true and won't listen to any reasoning to the contrary.

I am also sceptical about conspiracy theories. I am not easy to convince they are true. My ISTJ father who is a total sucker for them tries though! I am however fascinated by the psychology behind why people believe or create them.

I suspect there is no one particular type that is more susceptible to believing them.

Last edited:
I am most definitely fascinated by conspiracy theories, and more especially their possibility of holding some truth. But I don't honestly believe them, generally speaking. I just love the idea that all is not as it seems, and conspiracy theories definitely embody that idea.

I've seen mentions around that INFJs are the type who are most likely to believe conspiracy theories. Is there any substance to that claim?

I generally don't believe in conspiracy theories.

I think it's kind of like another one of those thinking-practices where people develop a conviction that they have obtained a special or privileged access to "The Truth", and they stop being able to recognise the validity of alternatives. The conspiracy theory starts out as an alternative to mainstream perspectives which gives it a sort of credibility because it is seen to be a critical challenge, but the critical detachment goes out of it because it is committed to as "Truth". Some people get a rush when they think they have obtained an insight to ultimate "Truth", and in the case of INFJs that really goes together well with the whole Ni-dom thing. But what happens is that people lose sight of the multiplicity of truth. They just start to believe that they are the only one with access to "Genuine Truth" and they think that anything that conflicts with it is wrong and unworthy of recognition.

Reactions: Free

I don't speak for others, but there is too much going on to deny that a large portion of them is not true.
Most of them are based on things that already happened before and have been admitted.
Personally I tend to believe a lot of them because a lot of them coincide with thoughts I had on those subjects before.

However, It's not rly an INFJ thing as most people I know that believe more then one conspiracy theory are not INFJ's,
in fact most INFJ's seem to deny believing in conspiracy's or not respond to such topics at all. (though the latter might also be caution ;p)

"top 10" conspiracy theories that turned out to be true ;p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58mhPaUL3Uc

we are open to possibilities by nature though also judicious. if this were a poll, you'd probably get a 50-50 on this one

When you spend more time on this forum you won't even have to ask or wonder anymore.

Reactions: just me
Not at all. My ESFJ friend tried to convince me that 9/11 was an inside job, then started talking about the illuminate. Worse still, he couldnt tell me exactly what the point of the illuminate is.

In short, no. Im not into them.

It's more like a Ni+Ti interest. Since Ni has a tendency towards paranoia and searching for deeper meanings into the events and Ti enjoys analyzing the theories in depth. Personally, I'm neutral to conspiracy theories, I doubt the mainstream media (who are obviously biased) and certain extremist conspiracy theorists.

I think it is always essential to find a balance between being open minded and skeptical. Curiosity and critical thinking are both equally important. I find the psychology behind why people accept or reject conspiracy theories to be very interesting. Sometimes an idea is rejected and it turns out to be true. Other times an idea is accepted and it turns out to be false. You always have to use discernment.

Agree with [MENTION=14664]dang[/MENTION]. I am fairly open minded to things people deem "fringe" science, occultism and conspiracy. However, in general, I've found I don't fit into the many corners of the internet devoted to conspiracy theories and debate for a number of reasons, though one reason in particular really niggles me enough to turn away from most of it. Always liked this quote:
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Interesting. My ESFJ friend is also completely convinced multiple woo woo conspiracy theories are true and won't listen to any reasoning to the contrary.

I am also sceptical about conspiracy theories. I am not easy to convince they are true.

Each 'theory' needs to stand on it own merit. You can't just lump them all together and claim that you seek objectivity.
That's how you throw the baby out with the bath water.

My ISTJ father who is a total sucker for them tries though! I am however fascinated by the psychology behind why people believe or create them.

I suspect there is no one particular type that is more susceptible to believing them.

Well I'm an INTP and Im quite interested in para political conspiracies and Forteana.

I know a few SF types who just 'jump on bandwagon', some believe that 2pac and Elvis are still alive and the earth is flat.

Like, really.

And then there are the psychological op's which are designed to to muddy the waters, perpetrated by various alphabet agencies.
Not to mention the daily propaganda our western governments sanction against us.

Life is one big conspiracy.

Last edited: