OMC12

Three
Dec 31, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hi everyone,

So I'm wondering, do any fellow INFJs have experience with clinical depression?

I've been worried for a while that I might be falling into one, but, now that I look more closely, I'm not so sure. In looking at lists of common symptoms, I've realized that many of them don't quite describe me. The "empty feelings" and "increased need for validation" seem not only off for my situation, however, but for the INFJ type in general. Could our general feelings of conviction, the strength of our Fe function, and the sharpness of our "moral compass" override that type of symptom?

Anybody have an idea of how depression tends to manifest itself in INFJs?
I'd be really grateful for any thoughts or advice. Thanks!

(Side note, I understand that self-diagnosis is a slippery slope, this is just a sort of preliminary search)

Last edited:
I've suffered from depression most of my life. I've never been diagnosed or treated for it, because I hate the idea of talking to a doctor and/or taking medication. I'd rather muddle through on my own.

According to wiki, these are the symptoms. The ones that apply to me are in bold.

Depressed people may feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, worried, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable, hurt, or restless. They may lose interest in activities that once were pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, have problems concentrating, remembering details, or making decisions, and may contemplate or attempt suicide. Insomnia, excessive sleeping, fatigue, loss of energy, or aches, pains, or digestive problems that are resistant to treatment may also be present.
My depression stems from trying to find meaning in life, and either not being able to find a worthwhile purpose, or being stymied once I find one.

Reactions: z523x4gr98j
Oh, God! I've been depressed since I was a pre-teen. For me, it's had to do with thinking too much and feeling very different from contemporaries. I preferred to spend time alone, and other people exasperated me very often. I'd go into my introvert-loops once alone, and then wear reality down to its ghastly skeleton, and then to bone-dust. I learned that if you take any singular, pretty thing and think about it long enough, you can sandpaper it down to a contemptible and tragic truth...and I would spend all my time doing just that.

It's clinical depression, I believe, if a psychologist or psychiatrist validates it. That's happened at a few intervals.

The DSM-IV, assuming you go by it, doesn't mention "empty feelings" or "increased need for validation."

http://www.mental-health-today.com/dep/dsm.htm

No two depressions are the same (not even for those experiencing several in a lifetime) so it's hard to say exactly how it expresses itself...

As I go through depression I do not experience an "increased need for validation" either... I hate feeling like a burden to others and do only in extreme cases ask for help (something I've learned to do over the years, I was totally incapable of doing so earlier). Most people probably don't even know I've been depressed, since one of my main focuses was to not let my personal feelings affect others negatively too.

That certain feelin is something that isn't a criteria for depression... although it is something some people experience in relation to it, it's nothing that applies to everyone. Whether or not probably depends on your personality (which is the main question of the thread) and your normal need of validation of others? I think it wouldn't be a too farfetched guess to assume that craving validation is less common among those that type as INFJ.

Last edited:
I am a 47 old male INFJ. I have had episodes of depression since I was a teenager. From my perspective now, it is interestting to see how the mix if introversion, ability to process information on an unconscious level (aka 'intuition'), extremely strong emotional reactions, idealism and feeling "different" are sometimes going into a meltdown. I have recently started a blog on this (http://braindepressed.blogspot.com).

The core of that is that I always look for things that "should be", rather then accepting them as they are.

Roger Waters wrote:

"Hey girl
As I've always said I prefer your lips red
Not what the good Lord made
But what he intended"

And this is exactly how I feel when I am not depressed. When I am, this expectation gets directed at myself.

I've definitely been known to fall into bouts of depression. Usually it happens when I'm very conflicted over something and can't make a decision or when i feel severely undervalued, or guilty. Guilt is a big thing, it gnaws at me... both things in and out of my control.

I start by becoming detached from reality and less expressive. Then ill get really avoidant, mopey, sad, very unmotivated, expressionless, detached from everything and absorbed in my thoughts. I pretty much stop eating whenever I get really stressed out or depressed. Over the course of 6 months or so, I went from 125 (where I still wanted to gain 10 lbs) to about 105 (which depressed me even more sometimes.) Its not that i was being anorexic/bulemic, I just couldnt get hungry or find the motivation to eat. I've finally started to gain a little bit of weight back (my average being between 108 and 113) but my metabolism makes it really hard to gain weight back.

Depressed people may feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, worried, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable, hurt, or restless. They may lose interest in activities that once were pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, have problems concentrating, remembering details, or making decisions, and may contemplate or attempt suicide. Insomnia, excessive sleeping, fatigue, loss of energy, or aches, pains, or digestive problems that are resistant to treatment may also be present.

I think INFJ's are very prone to depression in their natural state because more than any other type they seek for meaning in life, in everything. I'm not saying all INFJs fall in this, rather it's only the ones who can't find meaning in life. So that's what I think is one of the primary reasons for depression in INFJs.

Anybody have an idea of how depression tends to manifest itself in INFJs?
I'd be really grateful for any thoughts or advice. Thanks!
I suffered from depression last year for about 4-5 months, for the first time in my life. How it manifested itself ? Well, pretty much I wanted to be let alone, in a dark space. I had really bad scenarios in my head, dark thoughts and many fears. One of them was fear from fear, or fear from sadness. Very detached from reality. It was actually the meaningless sort of depression. I could see no meaning in the whole existence.
It lasted only 5 months because I began to read books, most of them on philosophy, logic and Christianity, and it changed my views on reality. I understood that in order to feel meaningless, and to see the existence without meaning, strangely but surely I must have a sense of absolute meaning, othewise how could I feel meaningless ? How could I feel the absence of absolute meaning if there is no such thing ?
So that was my experience with it. Sometimes I tend to fall into a light form of depression for a couple of days when I am in a really bad time, but this is good, I think, because it reminds me to be realistic and assertive with life.

Reactions: just me
Depression is the disempowerment of the soul -
sensitive creatures are more prone to its shackles.

Neurologically, depression manifests as the
inhibition of direction/purpose, merit, and personality.
Strengthening one's sense for these things
is integral to transcending this cancerous state;

tolerance to frustration and the acquisition of
faith (humanistic, religious, or otherwise)
and hope are superb psychic armors.

Last edited:
My doctor told me my current bout is not clinical.

No two depressions are the same (not even for those experiencing several in a lifetime) so it's hard to say exactly how it expresses itself...

This.

Depression can affect anyone of any type and manifests in many different ways. Introverts appear to be more prone to falling into deeper bouts with it if only because they are more likely to isolate themselves and equally less likely to ask for help (neither of which are very good strategies when dealing with a mood disorder).

In general, the best thing you can do is make sure you are taking care of yourself physically. The most important thing is getting enough quality sleep on a regular basis and avoiding naps during the day. It's a good idea to have a bed time and waking routine that you stick to consistently; in bed at the same hour every night and out of bed the same hour every morning.

The next order of business is getting your nutrition in order. Make sure you eliminate or at least limit the amount of caffeine, sodium, sugars and processed foods you keep in your diet as these tend to exacerbate depressive symptoms in the long term. Stick to healthy, nutritious foods. More veggies, fish, poultry, and 3 or 4 pieces of fruit to keep your blood sugar steady throughout the day. Supplement with good quality omega 3's and vitamins

Thirdly, regular moderate exercise and daily fresh air. This really does wonders and exercise is a natural mood lifter! Be sure to get at least 30 minutes of it each day or every other day.

Lastly, or perhaps firstly, you should go talk to your doctor. Ask for a blood test to make sure you're not deficient in some key vitamin or mineral and that your thyroid is in order. If you're female, it may also be a good idea to monitor your cycles (if you do not do that already) and get checked out for PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) which is very common in many women and a frequent cause of depression.

Once all your physical basis are covered, and you got a nice, healthy vessel, focus on your psyche. Make sure you eliminate any unneeded stressors. Cut ties/limit interacting with any people that bring you down and focus on the positive, excitable people in your life and regularly schedule to see them. Let their good mood rub off on you. Do not isolate yourself. If you do not have many positive people in your life, I would suggest signing up to do some volunteer work once or twice a week. The act of helping others and interacting with new people who are kind and like-minded will definitely keep the ruminating thoughts at bay. If you have the money, I would additionally suggest signing up for a class you always wanted to take at a local community center and just basically, FILL YOUR SCHEDULE and LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF TIME YOU SPEND ALONE.

As for when you are alone, be sure you give yourself an outlet to express your feelings. If you need to cry, cry. If you need to scream, scream. If you need to just vent, call up a trusted friend or record yourself as you let it all out. Or write it Or draw it. Whatever. As long as those feelings are out there, you're good.

The key, however, is to limit the amount of time you spend ruminating on all this stuff and searching for answers. The reason why I say this is because depression brings with it a lot of inertia and the longer you stay at rest, the harder it's going to be to get moving. It is vitally important to at least have one foot in the regular world doing things that are active and pleasurable and social (even if some days you don't feel like doing any of it) while the other is in your private world working through the conflicting feelings. Otherwise, you'll find that there really is no end to the rabbit hole. Some people spend years indulging their depressive feelings full time, searching for 'what's wrong with them' and 'why did this happen to me." This rarely leads to recovery. The nature of the human mind is going to only come up with more problems, more issues, while the rest of the world keeps spinning and you fall further and further behind because you keep ruminating on the past and sooner or later, you're going to have more reasons to feel down about yourself because you haven't been moving forward on your goals.

The key to beating depression is movement. Movement on your goals, movement out of your comfort zone, movement out of the ordinary, and of course, physical movement. If you're standing still and giving into your negative thinking instead of living your life, you're only adding more fuel to this black little fire.

Take it easy on yourself, but also make sure you're not going too lax. Depression has an insidious agenda. It wants to convince you to do less and less so you can pay it more attention and let it fester. Get acquainted with your limits. Don't bite off more than you can chew, but also don't underestimate what you're capable of either. Ask for help. Talk to someone. Take care of yourself.

Last edited:
This topic.I think this is exactly me these days...as i can't find meaning in anything!
work-art-relationships-LIFE?

Thank you for the great explanation.The first thing I need to do is to quit my job then.Lots of negative people ...who took away my goals,dreams,visions...

I have been battling with depression on and off last/over 10 years (15 years maybe?). It was pretty severe at first but now slow becoming more and more mild. Still having days when I can only sleep and cry, not get out of bed.

I think INFJs can suffer from depression a little bit often than other types (not doctor though, haha). Because they can fall into loneliness very easily and keep their thoughts inside their head instead of opening up to someone.

I think my doctor is depressed..........at times.

Reactions: invisible
Yea depression was a challenging aspect of my teenage years,but I'm truly grateful for the "experience" as it helped strengthen and condition me for whats ahead in my life.I hope this info im about to share helps you guys in some way.

Emotions are usually messages from your subconscious mind asking you to take action.Depression is usually a sign that you have lost something,whether thats a part of you,your identity,etc.If you notice,every emotion disappears the moment a solution appears,even before it is implemented.You guys may have noticed that when you were starving,your hunger reduced by half as soon as that first piece of food entered your mouth.How could that small piece reduce your hunger to that extent? Its because the presence of the food is the right responce to that particular message and so it no longer needs to be of the same intensity.Its exactly the same with anxiety:as soon as you set the plan and write it down,the feelings of anxiety are greatly reduced.The trick is to face problems as soon as you encounter them,because if you bury them,your sub conscious mind will respond with negative emotions.

"If you find someone screaming your name,pleading for help,you will most likely try to help them.What if that pleading person was you?Dont let your subconscious minds cries for help linger for too long.take action,do whatever is possible to respond to its needs"

There is so many topics that can help strengthen our infj family members.Some of them are neuro-linguistic programming and Tony Robbins aswel some Ted Talks. :D this is only a small fraction btw

Check them out if your interested(What infj doesnt like psychology and self improvement :p).They seriously turned my life around and It would be great to see them help you other peeps. God Bless

in this case, the journalists involved in reporting this have not understood the research that was done. the correlation does not show that the inflammation is causative, only that it is comorbid. that is not news. when i was first admitted to hospital for depression at age 20 my joints were visibly swollen and i was in so much muscular pain that walking required great quantities of energy and left me breathless. at the time, my doctors told me that these were physical symptoms of severe depression. if i had been treated with anti-inflammatories, it would not have been at all surprising if i had experienced some alleviation in my depression, since it would have treated my discomfort. there is no reason not to think that treating those patients with anti-inflammatories did not treat their mood through the treatment of their physical symptoms, rather than the treatment of their depression.

it is my personal opinion that the journalists have an agenda, which is that they are concerned with giving support to the idea that depression has a physical, biological cause. i think that they have not understood that it is already well established that depression has a physical and biological causative aspect, to do with the operation of the brain, which is not just aetherial mind stuff, but is made out of actual physical matter, and operates through chemical reactions, just like other organs in the human body.

although this is irrelevant, can i please say, that VICE is not a scientific journal.

if you have your depression, do not be afraid to go on the complete journey of resolving your depression. the time it takes is not important, it does not matter how many years it takes, what matters is that the depression is resolved within you. it is not possible to drop out completely, because when this is all over, you will need to have things to sustain you in life, like a meaningful career, and loving relationships. but keeping up with what the rest of the world wants you to do is not important, all that is important is that you can deal with this problem so that you can have a good life. running around doing a lot of different things to cause distraction from the problem is not the answer any more than rumination on the problem is the answer, those things are polar opposites, and neither of them are equal to resolution. resolution is a lot of things, it is confronting and accepting your feelings, all of the anger and grief and sadness, and understanding and forgiving the things that brought you to this time in your life, taking responsibility for the part you have played in it all, and being grateful for what is still possible... many different things and it is like a big puzzle to put them all together. but it wont happen automatically without work, or by pretending that there is no problem there, or by crying it out (although releasing the emotions is a part of it). but you can do it, there are many things to enjoy in life, like learning a new language, reading a great book, watching a beautiful sunset, enjoying the company of your family... dont give up.