INFJs and careers (+hobbies & passions) | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJs and careers (+hobbies & passions)

I'm a graphic designer.
I've been doing this for 10 years now.
No, I am no longer interested in this line of work. For a few reasons; it pays horribly, graphic designers are now web designers, photographers, social media managers all in the same title and my job is constantly undermined by anyone with a pirated version of Adobe Photoshop CS5 & 6.
What initially made me interested was that I had a lot of creative energy. Though, I never truly wanted it to be a career because it took away my integrity as an artist. Unfortunately, I felt I had no other options at the time.
My career is not linked to my passion as I am no longer passionate about art & design. Instead, I'm looking to go back to school and complete a second degree in nursing because I became passionate about women's health and birthing. This feels like a more natural path to me as I enjoy helping others and I need to feel as though I'm making a positive change in the world. Graphic design has never made me feel as though I'm contributing to a greater cause.
I think this is awesome and wish you success.

I recently left the field of finance and am thinking about what to transition into next. What I liked about finance is that it’s challenging and it pays. What I disliked was dealing with office politics and the difference in values between me and a corporation.

When I was younger, I thought I’d do something that could pay well and then go into teaching later in life. It was important for me to become financially independent. This is largely what I’ve done, but I have to admit I regret not perusing a technical job in a creative field. I think I could have been just as successful in a fulfilling field, and not need to change my career mid-way. But, maybe not.

I do think about automation and going into a field that can’t be automated. I think it’s something that would be worrying me if I was at the start of my career.

First of all, I'd like to say that you're giving a really good question. When it comes to jobs, careers, interests, a better question for me would be, " what you haven't tried? " because guess what? I have tried quite a lot of things!

Right now I'm about to be hired in a big company, but I don't like big, structured companies. However, the one in which I'll be working as a developer will have a startup culture and really friendly atmosphere, so not only I'll be able to take initiative and responsibility, I'll also be able to to pursue different interests at the same time. Is it my dream job/career? Not at all and here's why:

1. I'd like to work on my own ideas, dreams and ambitions, therefore I see myself in the future working for myself. This will act as a good stepping stone though.
2. I don't believe in team spirit. I'm more of a " do it your own way " kind of guy.
3. Even though I enjoy the company of other people and I like being involved with others, I still require some privacy and there I won't have much of that.

Is it linked to my passions? Well, I love learning and studying, so I'll be able to do that just fine. Also, It will be required of me to take initiative and more responsibility, so I'll be more than happy to challenge myself.
Thanks for joining the conversation!
I think trying various roles, it's a big part of discovering what we want to do and what we prefer. I laughed when I read all your 1), 2) and 3) points because I felt like I was reading my own thoughts :p I have very similar desires and preferences - I prefer to complete tasks on my own, I need to be left alone and not disturbed, I hate when people invade me with questions and seek attention when I want to focus on what I am doing... I am completely not a team player - I just don't enjoy it.
I wish you all the best with finding a way of how to become self-employed. I know that it's not an easy thing to figure out but considering how many jobs you've done and all that experience, I have faith that you will figure something out :) x

Reactions: Rycka
Even though it is a perfectly reasonable abbreviation, I'd rather say Bachelor of Science than have the option in play of it being interpreted as bullshit. Some may even recognise a connotation of these terms. Academia sucks sometimes.

LMFAO!!! what about BBS? Bachelor of Bull Shit :m131:

Reactions: Ginny
1. I'd like to work on my own ideas, dreams and ambitions, therefore I see myself in the future working for myself. This will act as a good stepping stone though.
2. I don't believe in team spirit. I'm more of a " do it your own way " kind of guy.
3. Even though I enjoy the company of other people and I like being involved with others, I still require some privacy and there I won't have much of that.

Being I have chosen a similar path I can agree with these statements. I think you can still a cozy office where you can turn off the fluorescents and bring in some lower wattage warm light fixtures. That is what I did and it helps a bunch.

INFJs should not be firefighters. I know first hand. I keep going back to the Dr and he keeps giving me more blood pressure meds. Im on 8 meds just for my blood pressure. I'm 39 years old. When I go on calls I tend to absorb whatever the person is feeling, I have teared up many times but fought it back especially when running on child deaths. The flashing lights, sirens, loud and dangerous situations all cause me a lot of stress. I work for a city in South Florida that is in the top 3 in the nation for Fentanyl overdoses. I personally ran on 27 overdose deaths last year. I've been doing this for 15 years but I think this is my last year. In fact, my blood pressure is what caused me to want to learn more about myself and figure out why my body responds the way it does. Even on 8 medications my blood pressure doesn't drop below 150/100 all day when I'm at work. So my blood pressure led me to research, which led me to the MBTI test, which led me here! My hobbies include kayak/fishing and gardening. I'm a big gardener. I love plants. I grow rare fruits from around the world. I took classes on grafting. I'm pretty much the biggest nerd I know when it comes to plants. This is where I find my peace.

I work for a company that buys/sells refurbished hardware.

Basically:
  • I'm surrounded by geeks.
  • The work isn't too easy nor too hard.
  • I get two workbenches pushed together for a desk and get to be covered in gross thermal paste.
  • Decent medical, etc, and no shits given if you need to leave early or take a day off.
  • I'm not physically or mentally exhausted, so I can easily go home and read, go out, paint, etc.
  • They pay me better than the bakery.
  • There are lots of girls here.

Last edited:
INFJs should not be firefighters. I know first hand. I keep going back to the Dr and he keeps giving me more blood pressure meds. Im on 8 meds just for my blood pressure. I'm 39 years old. When I go on calls I tend to absorb whatever the person is feeling, I have teared up many times but fought it back especially when running on child deaths. The flashing lights, sirens, loud and dangerous situations all cause me a lot of stress. I work for a city in South Florida that is in the top 3 in the nation for Fentanyl overdoses. I personally ran on 27 overdose deaths last year. I've been doing this for 15 years but I think this is my last year. In fact, my blood pressure is what caused me to want to learn more about myself and figure out why my body responds the way it does. Even on 8 medications my blood pressure doesn't drop below 150/100 all day when I'm at work. So my blood pressure led me to research, which led me to the MBTI test, which led me here! My hobbies include kayak/fishing and gardening. I'm a big gardener. I love plants. I grow rare fruits from around the world. I took classes on grafting. I'm pretty much the biggest nerd I know when it comes to plants. This is where I find my peace.

Thank you for all you do! Despite all the stressful situations you have gone through, you have helped so many people! So thank you! :)

Also, I hope your health gets better once you retire. Definitely do take all the rest you can get! And gardening is actually a great way to relieve stress. Many studies have shown that gardening significantly helps with stress and offers many additional health benefits.

And I miss Florida! I used to go visit Tampa, St.Petersburg and Clearwater with my ex-fiance frequently during the summers. I have many fond memories with him and the time I spent in Florida. It is a beautiful state.

Reactions: Wyote and flower
I would say private investigator... I've always been partial to that... Learned a thing or too with my brief stint with the military police...

Reactions: Sandie33