INFJ - what job do you do? Are you happy and fulfilled? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

INFJ - what job do you do? Are you happy and fulfilled?

The white collar classes don't know how easy they got it...

Having seen it from both sides, it’s a shit sandwich either way. Only the flavor and texture changes.

But grass is greener applies...until you find out.
Vomito.gif

Cheers,
Ian

Having seen it from both sides, it’s a shit sandwich either way. Only the flavor and texture changes.

But grass is greener applies...until you find out.
Vomito.gif

Cheers,
Ian

Well I know how crappy it can be for office workers but at least they do have chairs, air conditioning, and heating something a lot of blue collar workers don't have never mind the better pay for less effort. At my crap job for a global brand I did some rough math as to how much each person on the line I am having to slave on is picking up and moving over the course of the day is around 11 tons just to keep pace unless the machines break down which does happen often. The only decent moments is when the shrink wrap machines break down and the work martyr boomer throws a fit lol.

This is pretty much what I am having to deal with and yes I've been yelled at for trying to be more efficient.

62327499.jpg

Reactions: aeon
At my crap job for a global brand I did some rough math as to how much each person on the line I am having to slave on is picking up and moving over the course of the day is around 11 tons just to keep pace unless the machines break down which does happen often. The only decent moments is when the shrink wrap machines break down and the work martyr boomer throws a fit lol.

Back when I was Shipping for a company, I loaded a truck (then drove it) and unloaded about 4.75 tons per day. No forklift...just a dolly...ugh. Each box (~45 lbs / 20.5 kg) had to be lifted and loaded into the truck (and then unloaded) one-by-one. I also averaged 15,000 steps per day. Wow, did I get fit!

I always sucked at using the shrinkwrap machine. Like comical level sucked.

That job would have eventually destroyed my body from wear.

Once I was doing accounting at the same company, I realized my body would not be destroyed by wear, but the combination of sitting and stress meant I would eventually stroke out and leave a well-preserved corpse.

Cheers,
Ian

Story of my fucking life.
Wall.gif

But the last company I worked for let me have free reign to work smarter because they could easily see I was making them more money in the same amount of time.
Yaisse.gif

Yeah, that meme triggered me sumptin’ serious!

Cheers,
Ian

Back when I was Shipping for a company, I loaded a truck (then drove it) and unloaded about 4.75 tons per day. No forklift...just a dolly...ugh. Each box (~45 lbs / 20.5 kg) had to be lifted and loaded into the truck (and then unloaded) one-by-one. I also averaged 15,000 steps per day. Wow, did I get fit!

I always sucked at using the shrinkwrap machine. Like comical level sucked.

That job would have eventually destroyed my body from wear.

Once I was doing accounting at the same company, I realized my body would not be destroyed by wear, but the combination of sitting and stress meant I would eventually stroke out and leave a well-preserved corpse.

Cheers,
Ian

I honestly believe that with the way things are human suffering isn't just the system being broken but rather it was designed in ie hierarchy ect so those on the bottom are being punished for not being successful or born into privilege. It is impossible to ignore that some personalities get a huge kick out of ruining lives with all this be it their physical or mental health often both while the bulk of the population doesn't have much of a choice. It would be nice had UBI been a thing without there being too many strings attached or worse gooberment making a mess of it all as they do absolutely everything else. I broke a pallet jack once at Sherwin Williams trying to move a load of metal based paint only for the hydraulics to give out lol.

I honestly believe that with the way things are human suffering isn't just the system being broken but rather it was designed in ie hierarchy ect so those on the bottom are being punished for not being successful or born into privilege.

Fully agreed. It’s not broken—in fact, it’s working exactly as designed.

It is impossible to ignore that some personalities get a huge kick out of ruining lives with all this be it their physical or mental health often both while the bulk of the population doesn't have much of a choice.

Oh, the system depends upon, and encourages those who are suited to becoming members of the Enforcer underclass. Just enough reward to sustain their delusion that they aren’t wage slaves.

I broke a pallet jack once at Sherwin Williams trying to move a load of metal based paint only for the hydraulics to give out lol.

Did you get written up? Sorry, I’m too jaded and cynical to not ask.

Fuck Puritan Work Ethic,
Ian

Fully agreed. It’s not broken—in fact, it’s working exactly as designed.

Oh, the system depends upon, and encourages those who are suited to becoming members of the Enforcer underclass. Just enough reward to sustain their delusion that they aren’t wage slaves.

Did you get written up? Sorry, I’m too jaded and cynical to not ask.

Fuck Puritan Work Ethic,
Ian

I didn't because I had left before they would have noticed anyway that place was a hole and a fairly hot one at that. Cleaning out big rig trailers at the end of August with it being up to 118 outside at the time was just horrendous as they had contracted Walmart at the time so they hadn't been loading the trailers properly so a lot of paint buckets would get crushed. Long story short everything had to be unloaded and cleaned out by hand then use the forklift to peal the stuck pallets from the trailers then everything wiped down with scraps of clothing used for rags so with anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand + gallons of latex paint it would take a couple of days to clean the whole thing out then on to the next trailer.

As for the enforcer types fuck them I can't stand their personalities and the office politics especially the emotionless concrete blocks (typically male) that treat people worse than machines.

At least you still have your priorities straight about hump day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sigh,
Ian

Just going to leave this here so that maybe some teen or early twenty something doesn't have to learn the hard way.

"
I used to work in corporate management at a pretty high level for a hot minute, and for whatever reason it just tonight occurred to me that I can actually do something positive for people. We're not necessarily talking Goldman Sachs here, but getting a 4.0 applicant from an Ivy happened multiple times a month, so nothing to scoff at either. This stuff has a way of actually trickling down from the top, so that statement is meaningful at least in the sense that a lot of other companies are likely to use the same tactics and philosophies.

Let me unwrap the black box to the extent I can. This will be a combination of things I just wish I had known, and things they actively ask us not to tell you. I don't claim any of this shit will be revolutionary to anyone who's worked in management or knows business operations, but for those of you with autism or just getting out of college, it might be something you needed to hear. I know I did.

1. Yes, you are lied to about the promotion and it is with intent. We are specifically trained not to tell you no, even if its simply never going to happen. If you've ever heard the phrase, "when we have headcount," or "in the budget" you can bet you're being managed. If you hear either of these answers, its time to change jobs because your manager does not respect you and is planning to spend their social capital on something else.

2. Your team lead has no power. None. They are a talking head. They do nothing. They may nominally approve your PTO, but they don't even really do that. Anything they give to you was given to you by their manager, and at best they didn't argue when discussing it. Maybe they genuinely gun for you in discussions. That's a rare case, hang onto that if you find it.

3. Likewise everyone who doesn't control a budget is pretty much as powerless as an entry-level employee if it comes down to the wire. Budgetary control is a nightmare and those people are the true fixtures of the company for the sole fact that HR, legal, and accounting really don't want to deal with any more of that headache than they absolutely have to. Getting mad at your team lead/junior manager/sometimes even senior manager for raises, work event spending, etc. is often an exercise in misplaced anger and outright futility. Instead you should be mad at how many useless layers exist simply to insulate the real decision maker from you.

4. Managers are trained to regard you as an other. We are trained to socialize amongst each other and not with you. Management philosophy doesn't stop at getting the job done, it stops at making sure you are regarded as consistently superior to your headcount.

5. Managers do not work any harder most of the time. Especially in operations. The first thing managers will do, and there is no real oversight working against it, is offload their most frustrating or annoying tasks. This is strategic. If you wait too long to offload the hard stuff, people question why they suddenly have to do extra work. If you do it the moment you get into the chair, people naturally assume there are more important responsibilities for your function.

6. HR is not your friend. HR is not your friend. HR is not your fucking friend. HR exists to protect the company, full stop. Treat HR like you would treat the police.

7. Many companies have "anticipated turnover," and if your work environment is extremely shitty, this will mean at least one manager has a "fire quota" for the year, either because they're walking a performance tightrope and need scapegoats, or because they're sick in the head. Flip a coin. Basically any time a manager can justify an employee leaving, "ah he went to college, we can't offer college here" they can call it anticipated/low-impact/"non-regrettable" turnover. If you take a better job somewhere and want to fuck your shitty manager over, you're better off telling them you quit to go become a panhandler.

8. Yes, there is a manager slack. Yes there is a secret manager slack. Yes there is a manager cell data only google hangouts room. Yes it is as awful as you imagine.
I find it annoying that a lot of this stuff... actually works. Trying to be the cool manager will often backfire as your employees grow more emboldened with each concession, and while this hasn't hurt productivity or attendance in my experience, it will cause your fellow managers to look at you with disdain and ultimately hurt your career. Having to choose between the well-being of your headcount and yourself is a difficult choice, like it or not, and it shouldn't surprise you how often managers are going to choose themselves. You don't have to like it, you do have to try to understand it if you want to dismantle it effectively.

Maybe I'll add to this stuff, maybe I'll delete this post. I don't know if anyone will actually find any of the info new or useful."

Source https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/tpfsf9/psa_what_they_dont_want_you_to_know/

Well I stood up to my toxic ESTJ manager yesterday and was fired at the end of my shift today with a lame excuse lol. The only thing I feel bad about is my coworkers are going to be in bit of pickle on a death grind of a line to run that is chronically short staffed (gee I wonder why) and I am physically burnt out anyway.

’murican dream anyway.
Veryangry.gif

Cheers,
Ian

’murican dream anyway.
Veryangry.gif

Cheers,
Ian

Pretty much now imagine healthcare and retirement what a dream it is for those who are lucky enough to have been born at a favorable time in history while for almost everyone under the age of 40 myself included may as well just kick the bucket. I am really disappointed how the things that matter the most in life have more or less been stripped away from the younger generations for the sake of profit and ideology.

Reactions: philostam and aeon
Pretty much now imagine healthcare and retirement what a dream it is for those who are lucky enough to have been born at a favorable time in history while for almost everyone under the age of 40 myself included may as well just kick the bucket. I am really disappointed how the things that matter the most in life have more or less been stripped away from the younger generations for the sake of profit and ideology.

When you keep remortgaging things, and kicking the can down the road, taking prime cuts as you go, at some point the bill comes due, and the young’uns are left with diddly-squat.

Yep, ’murica!
Winner.gif

Sick Sad World,
Ian