INFJ, Not as Rare as Predicted? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

INFJ, Not as Rare as Predicted?

Alright, this is all fine and dandy, but why are we sooooooo opposed to even considering that INFJ's aren't 1%? I haven't seen one argument that doesn't state that because someone else says its not, through stats, that it just can't be.
There are 16 types, and if everything was even everyone would be at 6.25%. So why are some types sitting at 13% and others at 1%? Isn't it just even remotely possible that our species genetic type bent isn't as skewed as this? Why won't anyone just entertain this notion?

I did entertain it and have since decided it is unlikely.

There are 16 types, and if everything was even everyone would be at 6.25%. So why are some types sitting at 13% and others at 1%? Isn't it just even remotely possible that our species genetic type bent isn't as skewed as this? Why won't anyone just entertain this notion?

This is because each cognitive function has a region of the brain in which it primarily operates. Certain regions of the brain are much more likely to develop naturally into dominance than others.

The part of the brain that INFJs and INTJs (the second most rare type) both use dominantly is called the cingulate gyrus, which is in effect the switchboard for the mind. Normally this function cannot be in charge of the brain, and instead acts as a mediator for all the other areas. It is exceedingly rare for a person to develop this region into dominant preference... and there is some debate as to whether or not this state has to be adaptive (aka cannot occur naturally).

Meanwhile, the frontal lobes and temporal lobes are the most used regions for reasoning, and the occipital and peritial lobes are the most used regions for perception. In other words, the way the mind is naturally wired, it is much more inclined to be an S type than any other, with SJs being at the top of the list.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Reactions: DoveAlexa
Makes me want to go to a lab, VH, and see how my brain "lights up" when I think. :D

Reactions: the
This is because each cognitive function has a region of the brain in which it primarily operates. Certain regions of the brain are much more likely to develop naturally into dominance than others.

The part of the brain that INFJs and INTJs (the second most rare type) both use dominantly is called the cingulate gyrus, which is in effect the switchboard for the mind. Normally this function cannot be in charge of the brain, and instead acts as a mediator for all the other areas. It is exceedingly rare for a person to develop this region into dominant preference... and there is some debate as to whether or not this state has to be adaptive (aka cannot occur naturally).

Meanwhile, the frontal lobes and temporal lobes are the most used regions for reasoning, and the occipital and peritial lobes are the most used regions for perception. In other words, the way the mind is naturally wired, it is much more inclined to be an S type than any other, with SJs being at the top of the list.

Awesome, it does indeed help a lot. I was getting sick and tired of "oh its just is" reasoning. Finally I've gotten a real answer and I love it, Thanks!

I don't know that I necessarily agree. Muscle memory can exist in many parts of the brain. It is also possible that intuition is connected somehow to that mechanism. Furthermore, the ability to react without thinking (in sports etc) is spread throughout the brain. I don't think that this mechanism playing a part in intuition can be ruled out. In fact I think that it is far more likely that intuition is simply the muscle memory from sports etc except in intellectual activities.