Entyqua

Forgotten
Retired Staff
Jul 11, 2008
MBTI
INF
Enneagram
messed up
Welcome to week on of Lord Fouls Bane, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Our goal this week is to read to Chapter Eight

As you read here are some questions to ponder.

What type do you think Thomas is?

Do you find Thomas likable?

What was the overall feeling of the first eight chapters?

(my OP disappeared when I went to add the info about chapter eight instead of 100 pages....So if I missed one of my original questions, or something isnt there please let me know!)

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverAmI
Hows everyone doing? To reach our goal of 100 pages a week you only need to read 14.20 pages a day...(that is if your copy has 480 pages like mine...)

Adding another question as it was posed on here a while ago.

How would you cope with loosing your sense of Touch?

Last edited:
Good questions, Enty!

Thomas is such a deep character...I think I'll have to read a bit more to discover his type, but I think he's an ExFJ so far. Oh, as to the 100 pages thing...maybe we should read to the closest chapter nearest to 100+ pages?

I can honestly say that Thomas is a deep character, but not necessarily a likeable one. I feel for him and his condition, but he's chosen anger to deal with it, and that's not healthy either.

On page 42 right now out of 501 pages.

I am going to have to do a little bit of catch up on this one. I meant to check it out yesterday when NAI mentioned it to me, but I fell asleep early. (sidenote, I slept pretty well, woot woot) Anyway, I agree with Arby in the fact that perhaps we should read to a particular chapter, only because as you stated Enty, everyone's copy may have a different amount of pages. :)

Okay, Im super excited about this. I always wanted to be in a book club.:mhula: I'm going to get my copy now. :D

Okay.. so I was doing a little research. <------- Such a geek, and I found this so I thought I would post it. Here is the link, and the text. Interesting I thought.

http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com/fromtheauthor/news.php?Status=current

As part of my quest for internal consistency, I'm re-(re-)reading the earlier "Covenant" books; and on a whim, I decided to use the UK paperbacks. I'm only 100 pages into "Lord Foul's Bane," and already I'm appalled by how corrupt the text is. There are many typos, a number of which substantially alter the meaning. So be warned: what you read isn't always what I wrote.

Naturally I wish that I had caught this problem while I was still on speaking terms with HarperCollins. But back in those days (late 70s through mid-90s), my UK publisher never asked me to proofread the text; and I didn't offer because, well, because I didn't know I needed to. It's not like proofreading is fun or anything.

Just so you know: I DID check the text for the Orion/Gollancz republication of the GAP books--but not for "Mordant's Need". And I have been proofreading "The Last Chronicles" for both the UK and the US.

11/3/09

Reactions: NeverAmI
Interesting stuff Dneecey!! I have noticed a great deal of typos myself..Oh well. Enjoying it so far!

I agree with Arby on the nearest chapter. Chapter Eight for me...Does that work?

So far I have found Thomas to be a misunderstood man, who has resorted to anger to deal with it. I find myself feeling very bad for the guy...and I kinda hated his wife for a while...but I understood eventually. I too see him as an ExFx type...I am not sure which...I find that his anger is rooted more in his forced exclusion from society as he needs the comfort of people to feel alive.

More to come as I read on.

Gah! I need to get started! I will power through those 100 pages today :)

I am going to have to do a little bit of catch up on this one. I meant to check it out yesterday when NAI mentioned it to me, but I fell asleep early. (sidenote, I slept pretty well, woot woot) Anyway, I agree with Arby in the fact that perhaps we should read to a particular chapter, only because as you stated Enty, everyone's copy may have a different amount of pages. :)

Okay, Im super excited about this. I always wanted to be in a book club.:mhula: I'm going to get my copy now. :D

YAY!

Slacker! They should go quick for ya.

It's not my fault! I started on Blink! over the weekend and Mr. Gladwell seduced me with his sexy anecdotes and floppy afro!

meh...my OP went crazy when I went to edit it and I dont remember what all I wrote in there...so If it looks like I forgot something let me know...:m185:

Blink = Book.
Malcolm Gladwell/Mr. Gladwell = Author

*gasp* your priorities are all mixed up! Our cult err bookclub requires FULL dedication!

Be good or enty will hurt you like she hurt me!

Last edited:
:mhula:

Tell you what, though, reading really good fiction makes me want to write more. Bad published fiction just depresses me.

*gasp* your priorities are all mixed up! Our cult err bookclub requires FULL dedication!

Be good or enty will hurt you like she hurt me!

You hurted me first *pout*

:mhula:

Tell you what, though, reading really good fiction makes me want to write more. Bad published fiction just depresses me.

Which fiction are you referring to, Arby?