INFJ as "Barometer of Feelings"

invisible

On Holiday
Sep 30, 2009
Avalon Archipelago
MBTI
none
i read on a type description once,

"As employees or employers, Counselors are concerned with people's feelings and are able to act as a barometer of the feelings within the organization."

is that true? what does it mean?

Hmm...I think it's speaking to how intuitive we are to the emotional environment around us. Speaking from experience, I find that I'm always aware of the "vibes" around me. I can often sense tension (even if others can't), or other potentially harmful emotions such as stress, anger, depression, etc.

I think this is critical in a number of careers where the emotional environment is critical- I imagine INFJs would be able to sense the littlest change!

Negative vibes seem to easily overwhelm me. When I walk into a room, especially with people I know I tend to get a quick read, either a good vibe or a bad vibe. A good vibe will make me feel comfortable enough to engage in the joy of the group, while a bad vibe may cause me to withdraw. Most people tend to put out bad vibes in the form of anxiety, but there is also a significant amount of aggression that people extrovert. I deal with people a lot over the phone and I can pick up on their emotinal state rather quickly. If I have the energy I may try to counter their negative energy with kindness and patience I absolutely love positive people on the phone, they really brighten my day. There are a couple of people I talk to regularly that are full of joy and we seem to feed off one another when we talk.

"As employees or employers, Counselors are concerned with people's feelings and are able to act as a barometer of the feelings within the organization."

A barometer is meant to measure "-atmospheric pressure. Pressure tendency can forecast short term changes in the weather." So like you walk into a room and feel the tension radiate of one person or another, you understand that they're liable to explode their emotions at the slightest push. "Strom's a-brewin." "The calm before the storm." And various other analogies except it has nothing to do with weather as it does with the emotions of people around you changing fairly quickly into something negative.

It's noticeable to me and for the most part I mirror it shortly after I fix it. I've calmed them down and they're over it but now I'm upset. It's extremely uncomfortable and takes a toll every time.

It means that INFJs are natural Empaths. We can intuitively pick up and feel out others emotions before they tell us anything about it. In work environment it would simply be the ability to pick up on the social dynamics between people based off the feelings that are being projected onto the environment.

If feelings were colors - INFJs would we able to tell you what color is showing up or what colors are mixing or what colors are dominating, etc - because it is an iN function it doesn't make sense until you identify exactly how it is functioning.

Negative vibes seem to easily overwhelm me. When I walk into a room, especially with people I know I tend to get a quick read, either a good vibe or a bad vibe. A good vibe will make me feel comfortable enough to engage in the joy of the group, while a bad vibe may cause me to withdraw. Most people tend to put out bad vibes in the form of anxiety, but there is also a significant amount of aggression that people extrovert. I deal with people a lot over the phone and I can pick up on their emotinal state rather quickly. If I have the energy I may try to counter their negative energy with kindness and patience I absolutely love positive people on the phone, they really brighten my day. There are a couple of people I talk to regularly that are full of joy and we seem to feed off one another when we talk.

This, basically. I believe in general most INFJs are well-equipped to decipher (whether intuitively or logically) the emotions of the group, the dynamics, the hidden issues, etc.
It may not go to specifics-- but general ideas? Sure. (A and B seems to be incompatible. C seems to suck up on A for some reason-- while D and C...are they going out? E, meanwhile, seems to be holding back on something. What is happening?)

Or at the very least, the idea that some people are covering their emotions in a peculiar way...or not.

Of course, this can very well overwhelm us. We may get too swept under the group and their emotions, we inadvertently 'lose ourselves' -- in this aspect, I personally can say that my own ability to get ahold of myself still leaves much to be desired-- especially compared to Fe doms or Fi doms.