Infj and mental disorder | INFJ Forum

Infj and mental disorder

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by Akanksha, May 2, 2019.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
More threads by Akanksha
  1. Akanksha

Akanksha Newbie

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Infj
    Enneagram:
    1w2
    Is it just me who thinks infj personality comes with many mental disorders and that's one of the reasons we are rare because maybe we're ideal humans but not practically perfect creation for survival.

SeattleDreams, Will and MoonFlier like this.
  2. MoonFlier

MoonFlier Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I think INFJs are more able to work with and around any disorders than others as we're able to see the logical side of our behavior and make the needed adaptations. First step with any issue is to recognize one has it. Without that no progress will be made.

Over the years I've known a number of folk with mental diseases, all of them denied that they had anything that needs help and even feared help itself as though it is a sign of weakness or that they need to be locked up. None of them were INFJs. It is so hard to see people you love get progressively worse when you know therapy and some carefully monitored prescriptions to control the chemical imbalances could help immensely.

Now all that said, self-diagnosis and treatment is dangerous and is a growing phenomenon with the internet and sites like webmd. My own aunt succumbed to cancer that may have been treatable as she had read too much online about it and she convinced herself there was no hope. (She may have been an INFJ.)

#2 MoonFlier, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Chii, Akanksha and Will like this.
  3. Asa

Asa Resident palindrome

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    No, I don't.

I think people with mental disorders gravitate toward the INFJ type and are mistyped because having a mental illness makes one feel alone, misunderstood, and alienated, which are some of the traits paired with the INFJ type (despite the fact that all human beings sometimes feel this way).

INFJs are purportedly one of the types most likely to seek therapy, which leads to mental wellness.

It's possible that different types are prone to different, specific mental illnesses. – I have no official data to back this, but there are fun charts online, such as this one:

https://imgur.com/a/02Nke

Also, immature and under-developed people of any type are prone to unhealthy behaviors, so if you gather a bunch of unstable and/or immature people of a certain type (any type) it will skew the evidence that the specific type has problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    Akanksha

Akanksha Newbie

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Infj
    Enneagram:
    1w2
    Thanks for sharing the link. :eek: do you see the graph of infj .

Will and Asa like this.
  5. Asa

Asa Resident palindrome

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I did, but it was made by amateurs. It's interesting to think about. The suggestions do make sense.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Akanksha and Will like this.
  6. SeattleDreams

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    479so/sx
    A great book that tackles personality type and mental illness is Conscious Orientation by J.H.Van der Hoop. He was a Jungian who spoke about certain illnesses in certain types.

I have BPD and Anxiety. Very poor Ni can be seen in schizophrenics.

7. Ifur

Ifur Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    This is psychology at the level of "that historic person must have had asperger", or, "he must have had that personality type" --- we are however talking psychological types.

A general rule is that psychiratric disorders, or diseases of the mind aren't either developments disorders, maladjustment or environment.

What literature says on the topic as it relates to MBTI, is that schizophrenic have below average IQ (usally under 100) and terrible theory of mind (as in empathy and sympathy with acknowledgement of other minds).

And yes, inchoherent babble, word salad or lacking logic and lacking semantic cogency in describing concepts and form associations, yeah, schizophrenic have extremely poor "Ni".

It's one of those things that due to a combination of these things with low IQ and poor theory of mind, they cannot tink them selves out of confusions or obcessions.

Sorry, not be difficult and argmentative; can be fine to talk about it like this.
    But it is a slippery slope to go from "like this", "looks like that" and can explain it like this to stereotyping.

This being said, there are visual thinkers; and have seen a few I think, they seemed perfly fine apart from word salad, relying mostly on body language.

As something neurologically degenerative, halucinations can come from things like reduced eyesight where the mind fills in blanks. Does'nt mean you start talking to shadows, or can't tell the difference be that and dreams. Known to happen to eldery when eye sight is reduced enough, suddenly a napkin can be floating in the air. This is vision, and not degenertive hearing and the like, or where someone with poor theor of mind in combination with bad IQ can't tell the difference. Not being bothered can be better than emotional support and reckognition by a professional therapist sometimes.

So when reading Jung and others, from before what we consider modern medicine.

Here is what it actually looks like:

In addition, one can perhaps argue that psychosis often gets applied to extroverted, and schozphrenia for introverted where the main difference is internal versus external subject-object preference for the gobbelygook.

And here we have someone that talks about neurological function and empirical basis for framing a context.

#7 Ifur, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. SeattleDreams

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    479so/sx
    Perhaps I should have gone into more depth? I understand we are talking about psychological types. Van der Hoop is a Jungian and is exactly talking about that.

Introverted Intuition is the part of our cognition that sees imagery in our minds, generated from the unconscious.

When Ni goes extremely bad, the material reality and the "spiritual" reality are intertwined, (Ni/Se cannot be told apart) -- and the spiritual reality, (What Jung calls the imagination because it occurs in the mind) -- is projected out into the schizophrenic's material reality. Therefore, they begin to hallucinate things that are not really there.

See, I did not bother going into depth about the other forms of Schizophrenia. I just made a quick statement and logged out, really. But he also mentions Ideas Of Reference, (which he found to go hang in hand with Introverted Feeling) -- which goes into paranoid schizophrenia.

So, I do realize there are other forms of it as well as other things that contribute to someone maybe seeing things that are not there. I was simply explaining the Ni portion since someone made a thread directly related to personality type theory and mental illness.

Of course, Schizophrenia can be found in any type, whether Introverted and Extroverted. Ni is just the subjective portion of everyone's intuition in which I am aware everyone has.

I don't really recall typing, "looks like this or looks like that" anywhere. I just made a short statement really and failed to elaborate ....

I have a bit of a disagreement at times with "modern" anything for a couple of reasons..but nice insights, nonetheless.

Cornerstone and Ifur like this.
  9. Ifur

Ifur Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    I'm guily of soap boxing the topic, it's a bit relevant for me currently due to circumstances.
    Should rather be me excusing it and asking you if I added depth that was welcome and not in the way.