Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment | INFJ Forum

Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by acd, Dec 2, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by acd
  1. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I found this very long essay posted on an internet forum.

2. Roger

Roger ...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    -
    Man become machines, that means he will no longer able to achieve any kind of success. I don't think, without feeling you can achieve anything.

So may happen success level can reduce. Emotions/feeling are important part of human life. Without it looks like body without soul.

3. OP
    acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I like the idea that the faster we're made to think, the less we feel and the more we lose touch with the natural world--and so the more destructive and self-destructive we become.
    I can see how that would be.

I originally looked up this article because I was talking to someone who feels absolutely hopeless about life--not wanting to participate in this society but feeling compelled to.. After talking to them, I was thinking about how first world nations have higher rates of suicide than third world nations.. And then I came across this article..

4. Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Wow a huge Fi rant against Te, my fast mind ran out of steam about a quarter of the way through, they have some good points but also are quite wrong on other points.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OP
    acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    You're right. It is a huge Fi rant. Probably why I was so fascinated with it when I read it..What do you disagree with?

6. Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    I don't agree that everyone is telling us to be positive, I think everyone is telling us the sky is falling, I don't think antibioitics are a disaster etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #6 Quinlan, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  7. Introspiritual

Introspiritual Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I agree with the article's main thrust.

Industrial civilization is based upon the separation of humans from their environment - convincing us all that we're not part of a giant living system, but something separate from it. Once it's separate, it can be objectified and viewed as something beneath us. And it rolls downhill from there.

Humanity is facing a myriad of problems of its own making right now. Given the past track record, I'm not looking forward to how we're going to fix things (or how things will be fixed for us).

8. OP
    acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    Ha. How we fix things? By creating problems to solve problems.

9. enfp can be shy

enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    Science must serve humanity, not the opposite.

I firmly believe in that, and I think there are solutions. It doesn't have to be like it is now. This dichotomy shouldn't exist.

Actually, the improvements in science should allow people to return to their brightest and most natural humanity. To return to the woods, the seas, the mountains, the rivers. To love their children tenderly. No baby should be fed with chemicals, unless the mother is unable to breast-feed them - which is often the result of stress and unhealthy life. There are a whole lot of consequences later. If I were to ask for only one thing this world, it would be: please allow all parents to love their children. Most other things would fix themselves naturally.