In search of inspiration

Vilku

Community Member
Feb 8, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1, 7w6, 4w3
ive come so far, tried to find inspiration to life from psychology the past few years. before that it was mere intelligence. then ive browsed through several religions, christianity, jediism, buddhism, thelema and taoism.

yet somehow none of these seem to quite match my heart. the closest shot has been thelema, which is all about following your true will, in other words your primary enneas integration point. (although it would seem some people fail to follow the good of their heart as i would think true will of every person is to be a good person, but some combine this religion with satanism..)

buddhism, (taoism?) and jediism go in the so sx branch, while christianity sx sp, but perhaps ive mistyped myself and am an sx so and as such should seek guidance from sx so philosophies? unfortunately, that would mean new confucianism, which is hardly accessible in english.

i think instincts and life inspiration go hand by hand.

what are your inspirations and how would you see it matches your instincts?

Climbing mountains does it pretty often.
Lucid dreaming is great… and meditation as well.
Also, great works of art.
Learning a musical instrument… it's pretty satisfying to rock out for an hour or so-- if you can get to the point where you sort of switch off your brain and stop trying to do it right and it just flows out naturally that can be pretty awesome.

It's good to get away from everything that's a given (negate the given) and sort of make everything simple and basic and quiet in your brain.

After a few decades of working in the arts finding inspiration has changed for me. It used to be easy to find inspiration. Almost everything I was interested in inspired me. But these days inspiration is harder to come by. In the past life inspired art and art inspired life, but now I look for inspiration in other places. These days advocacy efforts are a place of inspiration for me. I have never found lasting inspiration in religion. Although I know many people have. Deep and fulfilling relationships have probably been the most enduring form of inspiration in my life as a whole. Interesting question. Something I've spent some time pondering over the last several years as I've gone through some profound changes.

I was inspired by the rain a few days ago. We needed rain badly. I was at work, but reached for my Bible and started reading in Job 38 after verbally thanking God for the fact it was raining. I prayed that it would rain enough to put water in our ponds that were almost drying up so the fish would not just die. I endured reading something I had no idea why I was reading. When the rain caused bubbles on the puddle, I was more inspired and read louder. The harder it rained, the more inspired I was. I stopped at 40:14. I went back looking for what I had read about the rain. I was answering as I read the questions. 38:24 through 38: well, I just kept reading chapter 38 again. Answering.................The inspiration actually came from within my heart as I was filled with gladness. I was so glad it moved me to do something literally to show my thanks. Giving thanks did not seem adequate any longer..........................Inspiration comes and goes like the wind...for me. I have become inspired here now and again with people: with minds. With hearts. With lives. I have become inspired with things I would have never thought would have ever inspired me.

I mostly find my inspiration in history and mythology. I've always found it more rewarding to learn about my ancestors and their traditions than to buy into some foreign belief system that originated halfway across the globe. If the idea of cultural ecology is true, you should be able to feel a closer connection to Finnish mythology and folklore than to anything else, since both are products of your immediate surroundings. Reading or re-reading the Kalevala and the Kanteletar would be a good place to start. The Kalevala in particular is widely recognized as one of the highest quality pieces of epic poetry in the world. If you want to be a musician, studying its unique metre might serve as inspiration in that particular area. If that's not your sort of thing, there are plenty of works out there of a more scientific nature that will give you an insight into Finnish, Karelian, and Estonian mythology.

History is also an excellent source of inspiration, and knowing your history helps put things into perspective. Everything that happens in the world is the result of an endless chain of causes and effects. When you learn about the past you also learn about the future.

I'm not sure inspiration is something you can actively seek out, though. If you go mountaineering or read a poem for no other reason than to find inspiration, you probably won't find any. Inspiration comes to you when you're fully immersed in an activity you enjoy.

All my isnpirations match my instincts, I don't understand it another way. It either comes from myself (fantasies, dreams) or the outside world – the way I see and feel things around me. The rest is predominantly music because it awakes the strongest emotions that lead to the imagery, which leads to some result if I put it into actions. Music is my shortcut.

I love reading, I like to watch, discover and hear things. It could be really anything. Noise inspires. Certain kind of noise, of course. Other people's personalities can be incredibly inspirational to me too. They don't have to be perfect or be perfectly proper because it doesn't affect me anyhow. But if there's fire there then I get hooked.

To find the source was never a problem, it is the execution that isn't always there or the mood.