improving focus and concentration | INFJ Forum

improving focus and concentration

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
When you're distracted or can't focus, what do you do to help your concentration?

I take some time to find a song that's jives really well with my current mood, and listen to it ad nauseam. It sort of gets me into a trance where I can be one minded for extended periods of time.

Take a 2 week break from tv and the internet and watch it come back like a fury.

When you're distracted or can't focus, what do you do to help your concentration?

@NaeturVindur 's idea of music is good, I do that whenever I have to concentrate to write a report or something like that.

I also just usually schedule important things in the morning, because I find I can concentrate better right after I've woken up.

There's usually a reason if you can't concentrate. Perhaps you're tired or stressed or the work you're doing is very boring.

Sometimes you just need a break. To shut down for a while. Other times activity and exercise are the key. They help work through the boredom or stress. And then there are times when you just have to force yourself to concentrate. The times nothing helps and you have to get the work done. You need to go over everything again and again until it sticks. It sucks, but sometimes that's the only option.

If all else fails, meth.

There's usually a reason if you can't concentrate. Perhaps you're tired or stressed or the work you're doing is very boring.

Sometimes you just need a break. To shut down for a while. Other times activity and exercise are the key. They help work through the boredom or stress. And then there are times when you just have to force yourself to concentrate. The times nothing helps and you have to get the work done. You need to go over everything again and again until it sticks. It sucks, but sometimes that's the only option.

If all else fails, meth.

I think you're right, maybe I should try meth :D. Otherwise, you're on point. I need to figure out what's making me avoid what I have to do, and then figure out a way to just do it.

Get started on it but take regular breaks. use these as mini rewards for your efforts

Bite it off in tiny chunks...lots of breaks!

Have a nice mug of something hot and take in a view out of the window or go for a stroll for some air, but DON'T SWITCH ON THE INTERNET!

The internet is a time killer...it's like crack cocaine for the mind

I don't think you can do something in that specific moment about it to change it, to better or to worse.

Concentration is more like a muscle, is like a vigilence of the mind, and it can be improved and trained in time. If you are not forcing your mind to concentrate over a long period of time, especially in the more difficult task or uncomfortable ones, that strenght of concentration and focus looses its agility.

Focus on things you want to do. (Not the best for doing uninteresting stuff at a high level of quality and efficiency).

Don't consider the whole. Focus on the beginning and start doing, then move to the middle, and so on. Then it's done. (Thank God).

Make and eat a sandwich. (Ideally someone else makes it so you can relax until you're refueled).

Anyone else get headaches if they try to concentrate for long periods of time? For me it's when I concentrate on people more than anything else. A little when I try to focus on Se, but mostly peoples feelings. It doesn't help I work 12 hour shifts. I once tried to be into the world around me for 14 hours straight and got a migraine. Am I the only one?

Do some sort of hard, physical labour or exercise. My best semesters, GPA wise, were the ones when I made efforts to work out before trying to study or review material. I'm most "clear-minded" and sharp when I am physically exhausted.