"I'm Christian, unless you're gay." | INFJ Forum

"I'm Christian, unless you're gay."

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Ryo, Apr 4, 2012.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Ryo
  1. Ryo

    Ryo Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2011
    Threads:
    8
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    56
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    5
  2. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,392
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,748
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Paraphrased: "Your sin has nothing to do (and should not,) with the amount of love I show to you."

    I agree.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Apone

    Apone Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2012
    Threads:
    44
    Messages:
    1,308
    Likes Received:
    247
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    MEGA
    Enneagram:
    MAN
    Yeah, that's a pretty nice thought for someone of that particular faith.

    It still sucks that even though there's a good chance that it's a biological thing that people can't change, they're still considered sinners, however... it's sort of like considering someone to be a sinner because they're left handed or have green eyes.

    I guess it's nice that the writer is better than the worst of the worst, but it doesn't really seem like any cause for celebration. I suppose it's a step in the right direction though, so good for him.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LGLPbeliever

    LGLPbeliever ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    Threads:
    7
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9
    I like it. I've never understood why certain Christians who offer services like photography would refuse gay couples because it was "against their beliefs." For instance I have a friend who is majoring in social work and she said the only people she wouldn't/couldn't work with were the LGBT groups. With that (Christian) logic, you would have to refuse all people, because everyone sins and everyone falls short of perfection.

    But yes, I very much liked the message in this article. For some reason, I feel as if he could have worded it in a more appealing way. But he definitely got his message through.
     
  5. 5r6jhd

    5r6jhd I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2012
    Threads:
    119
    Messages:
    3,224
    Featured Threads:
    6
    Likes Received:
    3,850
    Trophy Points:
    798
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Ireland
    MBTI:
    ENFJ
    Enneagram:
    2
    This kind of stuff makes me so angry. So many christians do it. Growing up in a christian home, you'd see them being accepting of others who were different, and then acting disgusted and "Ugh, why did they have to go and add that lesbian storyline into ER? It's just so UNNECESSARY."
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,241
    Likes Received:
    667
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    It's hard line to walk, between hating sin and loving sinners.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. acd

    acd Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Threads:
    136
    Messages:
    13,443
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    21,240
    Trophy Points:
    1,377
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    (The whole time I was reading this I kept thinking:
    "Get to the point already, Jeeeeezus!")

    So basically three pages later: It's hard to love people who don't fit your ideology when you are a bigot, so basically just treat people with respect and stay out of their personal business.
    Ok.

    You know what I find? I find that people who are insecure in themselves and their beliefs--who lack for self-awareness are the most hostile and bigoted.
    Simple as that. If you are truly a Christian and you truly believe what you claim to believe in--then it won't matter if other people's values don't align with yours.
    You won't feel threatened by gays or promiscuity or whatever issue.

    People will hate when they feel threatened or attacked. Doubt is a very threatening thing for a Christian.
    So sure, go ahead and hate the sin--but do so knowing that your hatred is the product of fear and not righteousness.

    Or perhaps a part of "hating the sin" (or sinner) is reaction formation.
    (example)
     
    #7 acd, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    JGirl likes this.
  8. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,241
    Likes Received:
    667
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey

    Right well let's get this out there then ACD, Should I hate rape? And If I should is it because rape scares me or is it because I know unequivocally that it is wrong force sexual relations on another individual?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. acd

    acd Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Threads:
    136
    Messages:
    13,443
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    21,240
    Trophy Points:
    1,377
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    Yes because it is actually harmful.
    Someone being gay is not an act of brutality.
    Its apples and oranges.
     
    #9 acd, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Sloe Djinn likes this.
  10. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,392
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,748
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    gay is harmful to my bum. :(
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    acd likes this.
  11. Sriracha

    Sriracha Not here.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2011
    Threads:
    98
    Messages:
    3,458
    Likes Received:
    1,907
    Trophy Points:
    375
    MBTI:
    ISFJ
    ... and to my horrible wardrobe!
     
  12. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,241
    Likes Received:
    667
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    You only answered half the question, Yes I'm allowed to hate rape. Is it because Rape conjures fear in my mind or is it because Rape is a base action the no one of the their right mind would consider correct.

    Is the hatred of Sin a reaction to fear or is a action of righteousness?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. JGirl

    JGirl no chocolate flavored gum? wow

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2011
    Threads:
    47
    Messages:
    4,729
    Likes Received:
    1,204
    Trophy Points:
    370
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5
    it was rather long and a bit scattered but i agree with his overall message

    this is something he said that i can really relate to -

    "They were able to look at them all and only see strength. Beauty. Potential. Hope.
    And if we boil it down, isn’t that what love actually is?"
     
  14. acd

    acd Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Threads:
    136
    Messages:
    13,443
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    21,240
    Trophy Points:
    1,377
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I answered your question when I spoke of actual harm..
    The whole point is that some fears are reasonable while others are not. Some threats are valid and others not.
     
    #14 acd, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  15. Kmal

    Kmal Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Threads:
    38
    Messages:
    1,582
    Likes Received:
    220
    Trophy Points:
    210
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sx/sp
  16. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,241
    Likes Received:
    667
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    So hatred of Rape is out of fear of Rape
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Apone

    Apone Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2012
    Threads:
    44
    Messages:
    1,308
    Likes Received:
    247
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    MEGA
    Enneagram:
    MAN
    It's definitely a reaction to fear.

    Hating anyone is never righteous… but I do think that people have that in them and they need targets that can make them feel better about themselves. That's sort of the whole point, isn't it?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    acd likes this.
  18. 88chaz88

    88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Threads:
    141
    Messages:
    4,872
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,221
    Trophy Points:
    766
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Honestly, yes. It may feel like it cheapens the subject but allmost everything we consider morally wrong is born out of fear, fear that it shall happen to us or our loved ones.

    Although unlike homosexuality, racial diversity, gender equality ect, the fear of rape, murder, and theft are all completely justified as they cause harm physically and/or emotionally.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. JGirl

    JGirl no chocolate flavored gum? wow

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2011
    Threads:
    47
    Messages:
    4,729
    Likes Received:
    1,204
    Trophy Points:
    370
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5
    all hatred is derived from fear and ignorance.
     
  20. Peppermint

    Peppermint Well-known member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2009
    Threads:
    27
    Messages:
    3,621
    Likes Received:
    7,572
    Trophy Points:
    877
    MBTI:
    _
    Enneagram:
    _
    "Homosexuality: Animals did it for millions of years. Humans did it for the first quarter of a million years they were around. Then some guy from Nazareth dies and raises himself as a Lich
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Radiantshadow likes this.
Loading...

Share This Page