^_^
Retired Staff
Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...rnor-wont-block-execution-of-beltway-sniper/1

The U.S. still has the death penalty, but we don't get to see people executed. I think that if we are going to have as barbaric a practice as the death penalty, we ought to not hide that barbarism. I want this man's execution televised, and then I want the video of it on youtube with comments enabled. If the U.S. can't watch people be executed, then it doesn't deserve to have the death penalty.

And I know many people would enjoy watching.

Edit: BTW, this guy was the "D.C. sniper".

I agree. However, I believe that everyone involved in sentencing him to death, the judge and jury ought to have to hold their fingers on the button for a full minute, together, to sentence the man to death. If any of them remove their finger, the guy lives. If not, a charge runs through and kills him.

This way, they're not just deciding he deserves his death, they're the ones performing the action.

I completely agree with you. It should be televised. Not only that it should be done in a more public place where people who might not want to see it, might see it in person.

This gives me much to think about

I disagree completely.
If a person is sentenced to the death penalty, I don't think it would have been their decision, had they be given the choice of either a lifetime in prison or the former option.
If they are sentenced to be executed, I feel that they should accept their punishment in privacy, just as they would have privacy in jail. The public isn't allowed to gawk at them suffer in prison, so how is it fair that they should be allowed to gawk at them receiving another form of punishment?
If I am to be executed, I would prefer it to be alone, so at least I will have the remainder of dignity I'd yet have. It would also give them a greater sense of peace to die in privacy. There wouldn't be dozens of hateful faces and glaring eyes condemning them as they sit helplessly awaiting their death. I know, it was their own faults they are in the position, and I am not excusing them punishment, but still, they are people, regardless of what they have done. And I don't think because of their mistakes or cruelties they should be subject to that sort of ridicule and exploitation.
Watching someone being executed feels more barbaric than the sentencing, to me.

I agree. However, I believe that everyone involved in sentencing him to death, the judge and jury ought to have to hold their fingers on the button for a full minute, together, to sentence the man to death. If any of them remove their finger, the guy lives. If not, a charge runs through and kills him.

This way, they're not just deciding he deserves his death, they're the ones performing the action.
Very well said.

The source of lots of anti-human actions today is the abstraction. If we interact face to face, live, if we know each other well, there's no way we could treat each other as we do, indirectly.

Example: people cheat more with tokens (that get exchanged for money), than they do with money. /because first-signal reaction is that they don't value tokens and so they forget what they are really doing/

Last edited:
Reactions: sookie