I so disagree with this. There are too many other options. Your opinion? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

I so disagree with this. There are too many other options. Your opinion?

Ah yes, the physiological needs which are our primary needs for survival: food, water, linoleum flooring...

Reactions: Wyote
Well, we must understand that all we know was written and stablished like “normal” for some group of people a long, long time ago, when there was so few knowledges of human behavior. If we look through time, a lot of natives cultures separated geographically by Miles, by languages, by social codes …much of them used to have the same believes in some concepts bigger than us….like balance….in china they have the yin and yang and native Americans have the white and black wolf…..but the principle is the same. Now, not every one can see the big picture, and many people learn what some teacher teaches them un school o university and they keep that idea, they didn’t evolved, or wasn’t creatives proposing tome thing different, they stayed on their own comfort zone.

Many situations offer opportunities for both growth and safety. Getting into a relationship, getting a job, starting your studies... in all of these cases you're starting something new but also taking a step in a direction that's supposed to increase your safety. So no, they're not opposites, or at least not mutually exclusive.

This reminds me of another quote I dislike, sometimes attributed to Einstein, that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". Yeah.. so insanity is learning to walk, talk, cook, play the piano, well, pretty much learning any skill through repetition. The error of course comes from temporality: you never step in the same river twice, so the idea of 'the same thing' is not as simple as it seems.

Minds are different and the same; some flirting with awareness, and some happy with where they are. Some many points in between, and some outside the box. For some, growth may not be as easy as with others. For some, living in the past seems to be where they are stuck. I can see someone with their hand caught in the cookie jar, and others stacking a ladder on a table reaching for the top shelf books. I see some staying close to home and never exploring, and I know some cannot afford anything else. Some I see traveling, poking, and prodding their way into learning. Physical complications(mental is physical to me) of many kinds can keep us down or even send us soaring. Each person should be fully persuaded in their own mind what is acceptable for them.....for what they believe in.

Many situations offer opportunities for both growth and safety. Getting into a relationship, getting a job, starting your studies... in all of these cases you're starting something new but also taking a step in a direction that's supposed to increase your safety. So no, they're not opposites, or at least not mutually exclusive.

This reminds me of another quote I dislike, sometimes attributed to Einstein, that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". Yeah.. so insanity is learning to walk, talk, cook, play the piano, well, pretty much learning any skill through repetition. The error of course comes from temporality: you never step in the same river twice, so the idea of 'the same thing' is not as simple as it seems.

But Einstein was referring to repeat the same process expecting different results when the natural human behavior is to be creative and innovate, he is calling to that, creativity and innovation.

Indeed. I had someone quote Einstein to me the other day. But the quote was proved to be wrongly attributed to him. So he was trying to prove his point by appealing to an authority figure he was incorrectly quoting.

I would have a field day, but he was my boss's boss. So I had to shut my mouth, and just nod.

Good choice - "Time is money", as Einstein said.

The funny thing is that the fallacy of appealing to authority is pretty common even in scholarship. Just because you put "(Foucault 1971)" in your thesis doesn't mean that the argument is valid. It could simply be that you're quoting an unproven claim of someone influential. Yet many people think it's enough to have that reference. In fact, maybe it's even necessary to believe it, because you can't check everything and simply have to trust that the sources used have valid research behind them. I'm sure there are undergrads who've referred to that Maslow quote in all seriousness.

Just because you put "(Foucault 1971)" in your thesis doesn't mean that the argument is valid.

Yes it does! (Wyote 1997)

Reactions: Fidicen
The way people are destroying history, I could believe or not believe just about anything that hasn't been in print an awful long time with references built around it. Maslow used intimicy, but no time frame. I like that, of course after legal age. Us older folk still need intimacy at the very least. We do not feel complete without it. I was told I needed to find a heart. Have one on the other side of the bed. Can I put one in between just to hold at night? Ha.

After growth comes the falls and winters of our lives. Though we have grown, we must sustain. We must stay warm. We must be intimate, or we may start to die into our last winters.

Maybe growth can take us to the pinnacle of our lives, but spiritual growth may be what helps to keep us there after all those years.