I so disagree with this. There are too many other options. Your opinion? | INFJ Forum

I so disagree with this. There are too many other options. Your opinion?

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
Psychologist Abraham Maslow wrote, In any given moment we have two options: to step forward into growth or to step back into safety.

Are these so opposite? Are these so much the only choices? I cannot believe a psychologist wrote this, unless they were possibly using it as an example to help someone for some life circumstance. I can find where it could possibly be useful at times to some people in some circumstances, but cannot truly see it as a rule.

Anyone wish to chime in?

It's often the case that when we don't push ourselves, we don't learn or grow, and become complacent, sitting pretty so to speak, and never stepping out of our comfort zones. Sometimes, when we stay "safe", we don't challenge ourselves, improve, or build our confidence in new skills or areas. So, why can't this be a rule? Yes, sometimes, we may choose to stay within the bounds of what we feel we can do or achieve, because it's in our control and known limits. Nothing is wrong with this, but I think it's easier to be too comfortable, and then lose out on learning and growing. I'm living this right now. I'm dealing with situations that make me uncomfortable. It's tougher than I expected. I don't like the stress of it, but I'm learning things that are important for me to learn, that I wouldn't otherwise know or understand if I didn't put myself in those situations. It may be forced growth, but it's necessary growth, even if it's painful ;)

I think it is true in principle but can also be easily misinterpreted. It is rarely a black and white choice. Choosing safety almost seems like a negative given the two options but I think that choice is sometimes the right path. I think a more positive duality would be to progress or rest. We are usually in a state of flow trying to balance the two. Keep growing and stay safe.

Coincidences....I was only thinking about "comfortableness" yesterday and was going to write something in my blog but shall post here:

If you know someone who often takes the most comfortable approach, it's never good to advise them to do the thing that they feel is most comfortable for them. Some people need to learn to be flexible and stretch themselves.

Sometimes to step back into safety isn't necessarily a place of safety - there's so much MORE to this statement.

Seems like something from one of those mom groups on Facebook.

IDK it's weird you see a lot of quotes around from famous people or a historical scholar or an expert in their field or something. It's as though the fact that such a person said some thing validates it with truth value. But that's not necessarily the case at all. You see good ones and bad ones. Smart people are humans too and they have silly ideas and make trite remarks. Maybe they just want to help someone. I think a remark like this could help a lot of people, in the right circumstances. Be brave, be daring, have courage! It can be very difficult to summon those kinds of heroic type approaches.

IDK it's weird you see a lot of quotes around from famous people or a historical scholar or an expert in their field or something. It's as though the fact that such a person said some thing validates it with truth value. But that's not necessarily the case at all.

Good point invisible :) The appeal to authority is one extensively used form of fallacious argument.

And the OP statement is an example of a false dilemma, as you pointed out above with your reference to destruction.

Logic is very cold but it can be terribly effective at unmasking these kinds of "arguments". Though sometimes the debates and observations they spark can be very insightful in and of themselves.

Last edited:
I'll remember this the next time I feel road rage. No I didn't ram them officer, I was growing.

But yeah I think it doesn't apply to every situation. I tried to find a passage that had more of the surrounding text (to try to look at the context) but couldn't find anything in a basic search. I'm not all that shocked about it though. I bet Maslow could have illuminated it, and even if not, it's not a rule that psych researchers stick adamantly to such an assertion for the rest of their lives. He may have agreed with the OP were he alive now for all we know.

No I didn't ram them officer, I was growing.

lmfao

24d66de43ec509b30e1e7d758819bd02.jpg

Reactions: Ren
Forward and Up are typically good places to move to, I think especially so when you have a plan laid out and are moving forward in the direction you want to go.
Side to Side is seen as stagnation.
Back and Down are typically the bad ways to go. Moving backwards in this case is said to be a safe move (but still negative), which I think is atypical. This leads me to believe that some context has been left out.

Reactions: Wyote
how-many-triangles.jpg

When first viewed, how many triangles do we see at first glance? Do we notice one at first glance? Four? Without counting or trying to see how many, how many jump out at you? I saw four at first glance in a second, but more as time ticked.

First four I saw was because of this in my brain: upload_2018-2-12_21-6-47.png The rest came with counting and looking.

I believe each of us have different potentials, skills, thoughts, paths, etc. So far, the answer that comes as close to my way of thinking is post #6, @invisible . Many other answers have helped open my mind to better understanding others. I need this.

Thinking about it, as @Sloe Djinn noted, I believe he could well be correct in his thoughts:
"But yeah I think it doesn't apply to every situation. I tried to find a passage that had more of the surrounding text (to try to look at the context) but couldn't find anything in a basic search. I'm not all that shocked about it though. I bet Maslow could have illuminated it, and even if not, it's not a rule that psych researchers stick adamantly to such an assertion for the rest of their lives. He may have agreed with the OP were he alive now for all we know."

It can take a lot of Courage to step upon the water. It takes more than Courage has to stay afloat. Some people have neither and may find it better not to step forward.

Reactions: Wyote and invisible
Guys, what about going DIAGONALLY?

Reactions: Sloe Djinn and Stu
IDK it's weird you see a lot of quotes around from famous people or a historical scholar or an expert in their field or something. It's as though the fact that such a person said some thing validates it with truth value. But that's not necessarily the case at all. You see good ones and bad ones. Smart people are humans too and they have silly ideas and make trite remarks. Maybe they just want to help someone. I think a remark like this could help a lot of people, in the right circumstances. Be brave, be daring, have courage! It can be very difficult to summon those kinds of heroic type approaches.

Indeed. I had someone quote Einstein to me the other day. But the quote was proved to be wrongly attributed to him. So he was trying to prove his point by appealing to an authority figure he was incorrectly quoting.

I would have a field day, but he was my boss's boss. So I had to shut my mouth, and just nod.

I thought Maslow's whole thing was that we cannot grow until we are safe. That is why he put safety as the foundation of the hierarchy of needs while self-actualization was the top of it.

Self-actualization is not so important if your life is in danger.

lay-tiles-diagonally-800x800.jpg

This diagonal line leads to the bathroom, other rooms, and the wall.

Last edited:
Safety says a lot. Many people are walking around feeling and living: thinking unsafely. Many are paranoid about safety. We, as a people, should find a need for safety as a foundation for growth. Therefore, safety is growth for a lot of people.

Almost like taking in a dog that has been beaten and starved. That dog needs to feel safe before he, she can even be itself. And as said in the movie, "Fifth Element", she needs your love. People can be fragile and need lots of help.

If I may say, I think a lot of people could possibly step forward(sideways, up) into safety.

Reactions: the and Wyote